Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 23rd October 2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613950)

Thanks.

Justin101 23rd October 2019 01:34 PM

My feelings summed up in a quote from that review “While the central story is frustratingly flimsy, Scary Stories does at least deliver on the set-pieces.” It’s the bits in between which let it down.

I’ve not read the book but I doubt having read it before seeing it I would feel differently about it. Goosebumps (first film at least) does this far better.

Justin101 23rd October 2019 04:02 PM

Nightbreed (Director's Cut) (1990)

https://nypdecider.files.wordpress.c...d-narcisse.png

I don't know what it is about this film, it gets worse every time I watch it. I've probably just seen it for the last time to be honest. I can't understand why other people like it so much! It has a strong opening 30 minutes but as soon as Boon goes into Midian it loses it's way. Midian itself seems like a grown ups version of Fraggle Rock...

It has it's moments, but I think I've finally come to peace with the fact that I don't really like Nightbreed and in the future I'll just stick with reading Cabal instead.

Heisenberg 23rd October 2019 04:55 PM

Last nights viewing was Candyman
Another one i have not seen in a long time, just as good as i remember. In a nutshell it's based on a short story by Clive Barker, about a student studying 'urban legends'. This particular one involves saying 'Candyman' 5 times in front of a mirror. You can guess what she does and what happens, lol.
Always enjoy stuff based on Clive Barker novels. I really need to read some of the books (i struggle due to a poor attention span).
Absolutely amazing film (imo) and a solid 8.5/10.

Going to lighten the mood this evening with Beetlejuice (if i can find the dvd). Went to the cinema to see this on release and kost count how many times i have seen this and (to quote a phrase from the film) it gets funnier every time i see it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 613958)
Nightbreed (Director's Cut) (1990)

https://nypdecider.files.wordpress.c...d-narcisse.png

I don't know what it is about this film, it gets worse every time I watch it. I've probably just seen it for the last time to be honest. I can't understand why other people like it so much! It has a strong opening 30 minutes but as soon as Boon goes into Midian it loses it's way. Midian itself seems like a grown ups version of Fraggle Rock...

It has it's moments, but I think I've finally come to peace with the fact that I don't really like Nightbreed and in the future I'll just stick with reading Cabal instead.

I've always thought it sucked. Never owned it and never will. Rented it once and that was plenty.

Justin101 23rd October 2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heisenberg (Post 613963)
Last nights viewing was Candyman
Another one i have not seen in a long time, just as good as i remember. In a nutshell it's based on a short story by Clive Barker, about a student studying 'urban legends'. This particular one involves saying 'Candyman' 5 times in front of a mirror. You can guess what she does and what happens, lol.
Always enjoy stuff based on Clive Barker novels. I really need to read some of the books (i struggle due to a poor attention span).
Absolutely amazing film (imo) and a solid 8.5/10.

Going to lighten the mood this evening with Beetlejuice (if i can find the dvd). Went to the cinema to see this on release and kost count how many times i have seen this and (to quote a phrase from the film) it gets funnier every time i see it.

Candyman is a MUCH better film than Nightbreed, I wish I'd have watched that instead :lol: I quite fancy Beetlejuice myself, I might dig it out (no pun intended) for tomorrow night's viewing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 613966)
Candyman is a MUCH better film than Nightbreed, I wish I'd have watched that instead :lol: I quite fancy Beetlejuice myself, I might dig it out (no pun intended) for tomorrow night's viewing.

Yeah, Candyman's great. I prefer all three to Nightbreed. A film i'd class along side that other Barker dreck Underworld

Nordicdusk 23rd October 2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 613958)
Nightbreed (Director's Cut) (1990)


Midian itself seems like a grown ups version of Fraggle Rock...

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2019 05:50 PM

October 22nd
 
2 Attachment(s)
Gothic (1986)

Ken Russell's nightmarish film of the creation of a Gothic literary classic - Frankenstein. Set at Lord Byron's mansion on the shores of Lake Geneva, Gothic is a wildly imaginative, drug induced tale of wanton excess. Full of hallucinatory scenes of eroticism and horror many of which are taken from classic Gothic literature. The small cast of Gabriel Byrne, Julian Sands, Natasha Richardson, Myriam Cyr and Timothy Spall have a riot as Russell thrusts them down the dark path of their nightmares. There's so much going on here and the film is such a visual treat it's hard to take it all in in one sitting and the film improves no end with subsequent viewings.

The Ninth Gate (1999)

I love The Ninth Gate. I find it totally engrossing. It's a film that is superbly paced, the viewer is drawn in and gripped from the opening seconds and Polanski never lets go throughout all 133 minutes of it's run time.

It might help that i love books and i also love Occult movies and The Ninth Gate uses both ideas to make an outstanding psychological horror film. In fact Polanski's use of the Devil is ingenious. Similar in pace to say Chinatown except with a tremendous performance by Depp instead of Jack Nicholson, the film becomes creepier and more chilling as the secrets of the book and it's connections to the Devil unfold. Polanski gets the film under your skin in a way modern horror (The Witch aside) never comes close to doing and it proves all the better for it.

Nordicdusk 23rd October 2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613971)
Gothic (1986)

Ken Russell's nightmarish film of the creation of a Gothic literary classic - Frankenstein. Set at Lord Byron's mansion on the shores of Lake Geneva, Gothic is a wildly imaginative, drug induced tale of wanton excess. Full of hallucinatory scenes of eroticism and horror many of which are taken from classic Gothic literature. The small cast of Gabriel Byrne, Julian Sands, Natasha Richardson, Myriam Cyr and Timothy Spall have a riot as Russell thrusts them down the dark path of their nightmares. There's so much going on here and the film is such a visual treat it's hard to take it all in in one sitting and the film improves no end with subsequent viewings.

The Ninth Gate (1999)

I love The Ninth Gate. I find it totally engrossing. It's a film that is superbly paced, the viewer is drawn in and gripped from the opening seconds and Polanski never lets go throughout all 133 minutes of it's run time.

It might help that i love books and i also love Occult movies and The Ninth Gate uses both ideas to make an outstanding psychological horror film. In fact Polanski's use of the Devil is ingenious. Similar in pace to say Chinatown except with a tremendous performance by Depp instead of Jack Nicholson, the film becomes creepier and more chilling as the secrets of the book and it's connections to the Devil unfold. Polanski gets the film under your skin in a way modern horror (The Witch aside) never comes close to doing and it proves all the better for it.

I haven't seen The Ninth Gate in a long time i remember really enjoying it i must keep an eye out for it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.