Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I’d rather watch Nightbreed than anything Polanski has made (nothing to do with the fact he’s a perv either), but that’s just me I guess
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bay 2012.

In 2009, a small American town Claridge, Maryland on the Chesapeakee bay, the townsfolk celebrating their 4th of July annual crab festival, when a journalist is documenting the celebration, a ecological disaster occurs and she ends up reporting the outbreak, 3 years later the footage is released.

This isn't your average found footage movie, this was well crafted and well acted, the people affected by the outbreak really do sell it and making you believe that it did actually happen. The actors who were part of the CDC really played well and acted like real doctors. This does have its tense moments, may take more than one watch to get the jist of it on some places, worth a glance.

Frightmare 1983.

When Conrad, a highly respected horror actor dies, a group of teens steal his body for a final farewell party, but is Conrad really dead?

In the style of 1950s horror meets 1980s slasher with its funny moments and horror moments. Ferdinand Mayne (Howling II) plays the tough actor and horror maestro who dies while speaking to his fans. One of the teens Jefferey Combs stars in his first film before becoming Herbert West. The film is cheesy ass and can look so stupid that is actually enjoyable for the actingand the gothic house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the bay.jpg (4.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg frightmare.jpg (41.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict

The Haunted Palace
Joseph Curwen is accused of Witchcraft and is burned alive, before he dies he curses all the people who wronged him, 110 years later and his great great grandson returns to Arkham. A painting of Curwen bears an uncanny resemblance and then things start to go wrong.
Roger Cormans Edgar Allan Poe cycle that is actually an adaptation of Lovecraft is a great addition, the creepy atmosphere and a cold performance by Vincent Price culminate in a fantastic gothic tale.
MV5BMjA0MzI1NDE2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTYwNjAxNzE%40._V1_.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fog 1980.

The Town of Antonio Bay is about to celebrate it's centennial celebration unbeknown a crime was committed and the spirits are returning for their revenge.

One of the best ghost story films made that managed to freak me out when i first saw it and made me fear a fog, thank you John Carpenter for traumatising me This still holds up after all these years, the remake was ok but can't hold a torch or light to this film, great opening scene with John Houseman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (95.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Asylum 1972.

A young doctor goes for a interview, he is tasked to find what patient is Dr Starr he can get the job, he meets four inmates and is told how they came to be in the care of Dr Rutherford.

Another classic Amicus anthology tales with a good star cast from Robert Powell as the young doctor, first he meets Bonnie (Barbara Parkins, Valley of the dolls) who is having an affair with a married man, and his wife is practised in Voodoo.
The second he meets Bruno (Barry Morse, The Changeling) who is a tailor and asked to make a certain suit. Third he meets Barabara (Charlotte Rampling, Orca) who has a friend called Lucy..or does she? last he meets Dr Baron (Herbert Lom, The dead Zone) who makes dolls and want to use his mind to control them.

No horror from the 70s like these would never be without Peter Cushing making a appearance as a sinister charachter who knows how to make things seem more sinister than they already are. Patrick Magee stars as Dr Rutherford who enjoys how his patience seem to cope and not intersted in anyone's else remarks. Britt Eckland makes a nice appearance as the young girl Lucy who seems to be there one minute and then gone. This one has always been entertaining, it may slide down a little bit but does pick up again and always seems to have twists at the end and a manic laugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (98.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I am revisiting my 3 favourite Hammer House Of Horrors.
The Mark Of Satan
Rude Awakening
The Silent Scream. Since I was beaten to the punch about The Fog
This is what I watched with it

... Bride Of Frankenstein

A film that becomes just that little bit more sacred to those whom grovel in its shadow. Like a moving Brueghel at times, this archest of all Horror Cinema, a paen to the duality in man's soul. Yes, there's titty.
An ailing Victor is roused from torpor by an old teacher. Gripping eh??
Never mind the width, feel the quality. Rewatch!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2019, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House That Dripped Blood 1971.

A Scotland Yard detective investigating the disapearance of a actor is told stories of the previous tenants who stayed at the same house.

Another anthology of tales from the studio of Amicus, with some tales with a twist. A novelist working on a new book creates a character he believes has come to life. A retired stock broker finds a wax museum and a piece of work seems to resemble someone he and his friend once knew. A widower and his daughter move to the house only for his shy daughter to come out of her shell with diabolical consequence. A horror movie actor rents the house while shooting a new movie purchases a mysterious black cloak.

At first seeing this I didn't appreciate it I found it dull and pointless, over the years I grew towards enjoying it and its meaning towards the end, the twists of the stories can be predictable but are still enjoyable and has great acting from Denholm Elliott, Peter Cushing, Joss Ackland, Christopher Lee, Jon Pertwee and Ingrid Pitt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-10-24-15-49-24-.jpg (12.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th October 2019, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Crow

As I wanted to watch something I hadn't... at least this decade it seemed
The auld chestnut that it is.
I can really see where it's been"borrowed" from harumph. Based on a graphic novel that is a love paen to goth in itself, this rather tame (now) adaptation still holds the attention mainly due to Lee. He's having a lot of fun here, whilst retaining a darker motivation for his deeds. And he gets a helping hand from a Ghostbuster, what more could ask for?
Ahem.
RIP

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2019, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula A.D. 1972.

In 1872, Lawrence Van Helsing died battling Count Dracula, 100 years pass a group of teens hold a black mass thinking its a joke, raise the count again who wants to destroy the family of Van Helsing.

This was a decent entry into the Hammer movies of Dracula, Sir Christopher Lee done on the cape and fangs again with his haunting menacing voice as the undead with his wits pitted against Peter Cushing playing Lorrimer Van Helsing who is the grandson of Lawrence Van Helsing. Stephanie Beacham plays the buxom granddaughter Jessica. This was Filmed In modern times and not like the previous film in 1800s but still holds all the hallmark of the Dracula films and the dark gothic abandoned church. Caroline Munro appears in a small role with William Ellis who seems to be dressed as monk and Christopher Neame as the suspicious Johnny Alucard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-10-24-19-41-26-.jpg (13.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 24th October 2019, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Beetlejuice (1988)

I don't ever get tired of this one, great visuals and imagination. Michael Keaton, even though he doesn't have a whole lot of screen time absolutely steals the show. That scene where he emerges from the middle of the town model dressed like a circus big-top is amazing.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 24th October 2019 at 08:49 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!