Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2020, 09:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Inspired by Susan's Poundland Bargain Ouija Board, here is a screen printed tea towel I have, it's designed by a local graphic designer, included is a planchette keyring by the same guy!

I've been meaning to get this framed for a while but as we're not allowed to put things up on the pristine white plaster walls in our rental apartment I've been waiting until we buy a house.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st October 2020, 03:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demons. 1985.

Strangers are given a free ticket to a cinema to see a screening of a mysterious new film, only to become trapped in the building with ravenous demons.

The film that was made to put you off going to the cinema I know this film has been discussed a few times and probably enjoyed by all with the gore, blood splatter and green snot that comes out of their mouths. With Argento producing how much influence did he really have over the film? Only thing i do laugh with the Arrow BD version is why did some of the actors voices change from the dvd release and some dialogue being altered, not that i'm complaining still very much enjoyable.

Demons-movie-1985-bluray-synapse-films-600x330.jpg
Old 1st October 2020, 05:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I’m moving out of my current address in November, unless that idea gets snuffed by the plague. I’m still renting, so it’s not like there’s a big contract at stake or anything. Anyway, the point is, the unavoidable clear-out has forced me to excavate the outer reaches of my ‘collection’ (it’s more like a trash heap) gathering dust at the back of my weirdly cavernous cupboards. It’s brought me face to face with a few obscurities I haven’t seen in years, movies I’d totally forgotten I even had. They’ll end up going in someone’s attic after I move, making the prospect of cramming in a few re-watches quite attractive. So, in the spirit of a Hallowe’en countdown, I’ll try to get one in every day unless I get waylaid filling boxes and binliners. Here is what I saw this afternoon -

DON’T GO NEAR THE PARK – Less a movie and more an ‘experience’, DGNTP was maybe an official video nasty at one point? Perhaps for being a threat to the nation’s sanity as well as its morals, for mere words alone cannot do justice to this film’s wild and intricately plotted potpourri of casual incest, cosmic caveperson reincarnation, cannibalistic rejuvenation by way of HG Lewis-style gore and a load of zombies at the end. Linnea Quigley turns up looking pre-formed; obviously I can only speculate as to how scarring her involvement may have been. And I like the way Aldo Ray is in there just to buy some flowers off a street urchin… OK, you see him at the end too, looking as aghast as you undoubtedly will. This is the kind of movie we would all be forced to watch if the hippies had won (and were evil).
Old 1st October 2020, 05:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
intricately plotted potpourri of casual incest, cosmic caveperson reincarnation, cannibalistic rejuvenation by way of HG Lewis-style gore and a load of zombies at the end
Haha, great review Frankie. How are we supposed to compete with that?
Old 1st October 2020, 05:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Burial Ground: Night Of Terror. 1981.

A professor of archaeology discovers a crypt and opens it unleashing a horde of zombies that attack a group of people that have come to stay at the professor's mansion.

What is it that gives off the creepy vibe more, the fact that these zombies seem intelligent and are able use weapons and battering ram to break down a door, or the boy trying it on with his mum??? Aside from all that this is one of those films that you can't turn away from even though the zombies seem to be full of liquid mud and blood and a good background score, it does have it's moments of tension and slow kills which makes it more worth a watch.

burial-ground-1981-cover-photo.jpg
Old 1st October 2020, 05:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 1st - 00:01 bonus viewing's.

As i was still up and awake at midnight last night i thought 'd watch a quick double bill of Val Lewton productions.

I Walked With a Zombie (1943)

Director Jacques Tourneur and producer Val Lewton's masterpiece. A poetic mix of Jane Eyre and Caribbean voodoo, beautifully photographed - the use of light and shadow has never been bettered with innovative camera work that belies the films low budget. neither has the remarkable journey to the houmfort (Vodou temple) are amazingly effective and also extremely creepy, Carrefour, the zombie of the title cuts an imposing figure as he hauntingly wanders the plantation.

I Walked with a Zombie is truly a special film.

The Body Snatcher (1945)

A moody and very grim Val Lewton produced period piece. Boris Karloff as the deviant in question is simply outstanding in a performance that bounces from kindly to pure evil in the blink of an eye. His showdown with Bela Lugosi two thirds of the way in is a truly macabre highlight.

One of my favourite films of all time. My ramblings cannot do it justice.

It's unlikely i'll watch a better double bill all October.
Old 1st October 2020, 05:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly (1970, Freddie Francis)

You might all be surprised to hear I hadn't seen this beauty before. Well, I hadn't!
A rather insular bunch prey on the "friends" they make whilst trolling about a somewhat deserted Lahndan. Great cameo from Michael Ripper. Will make a good double bill with Goodbye Gemini I finks.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st October 2020, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly (1970, Freddie Francis)

You might all be surprised to hear I hadn't seen this beauty before. Well, I hadn't!
A rather insular bunch prey on the "friends" they make whilst trolling about a somewhat deserted Lahndan. Great cameo from Michael Ripper. Will make a good double bill with Goodbye Gemini I finks.
What about a triple bill mind**** with Baby Love too?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st October 2020, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As i was still up and awake at midnight last night i thought 'd watch a quick double bill of Val Lewton productions.

I Walked With a Zombie (1943)

Director Jacques Tourneur and producer Val Lewton's masterpiece. A poetic mix of Jane Eyre and Caribbean voodoo, beautifully photographed - the use of light and shadow has never been bettered with innovative camera work that belies the films low budget. neither has the remarkable journey to the houmfort (Vodou temple) are amazingly effective and also extremely creepy, Carrefour, the zombie of the title cuts an imposing figure as he hauntingly wanders the plantation.

I Walked with a Zombie is truly a special film.

Good call with I Walked with a zombie Dem, a timeless classic that never gets boring no matter how many times you watch it.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 1st October 2020, 06:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, that's on my list when I get going. A Halloween season favourite.
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!