Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Inspector Abberline 14th October 2015 05:18 PM

devils and ghost

6 Attachment(s)
One thing you can say about thre BBc is that they know how to do costume drama,you can't really fault them on there production values either.M.R. James Number 13,may not be best adaptation of his work,and to be honest most have taken liberties with the stories here and threre. But I enjoy because it does'nt feel the need to rush into the story or explain its character motivation's or any other modern story devices,it feels like it was made in the 70's becuse its slow and abit up its own bum.Greg Wise is wonderful as the pompous Anderson and at the start his character is totally unlikeable but after he's had a few sleepless nights of torment you kind of feel sorry for him.Im not saying this is the best of M>R<James adaptations but I like it and christ its got to be better than Downtown abbey.

Attachment 171236Attachment 171237Attachment 171238Attachment 171239Attachment 171240Attachment 171241

Inspector Abberline 14th October 2015 05:21 PM

devils and ghosts

6 Attachment(s)
Next up Is Race With The Devil,sort of like Cannonball Run but instead of Burt Reynolds you got Warren Oates and instead of the Sherriff you get devil worshipper's,fun with a capital F.Most my age would of caught this on the BBc 2 double bill back in day.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 464705)
One thing you can say about thre BBc is that they know how to do costume drama,you can't really fault them on there production values either.M.R. James Number 13,may not be best adaptation of his work,and to be honest most have taken liberties with the stories here and threre. But I enjoy because it does'nt feel the need to rush into the story or explain its character motivation's or any other modern story devices,it feels like it was made in the 70's becuse its slow and abit up its own bum.Greg Wise is wonderful as the pompous Anderson and at the start his character is totally unlikeable but after he's had a few sleepless nights of torment you kind of feel sorry for him.Im not saying this is the best of M>R<James adaptations but I like it and christ its got to be better than Downtown abbey.

Agreed.

The previous years A View from a Hill is also a fave of mine.

MacBlayne 14th October 2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme73 (Post 464674)

Cheers for that. Never knew such a thing existed. Have you read it? And if so, is it any good?

By the way, it wasn't Armageddon 2000 I saw a while back. It was Holocaust 2000.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 464706)
Next up Is Race With The Devil,sort of like Cannonball Run but instead of Burt Reynolds you got Warren Oates and instead of the Sherriff you get devil worshipper's,fun with a capital F.

Just a shame Jack Elam's not in it. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 464708)

Holocaust 2000.

I just ordered this half an hour ago. :lol:

MacBlayne 14th October 2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 464706)
Next up Is Race With The Devil,sort of like Cannonball Run but instead of Burt Reynolds you got Warren Oates and instead of the Sherriff you get devil worshipper's,fun with a capital F.Most my age would of caught this on the BBc 2 double bill back in day.

Warren Oates - one of the finest actors that ever walked the planet. I saw an episode of Gunsmoke with my uncle that had a guest appearance by Oates. He acted everybody off the screen. The rest of the cast couldn't hold a candle to him.

trebor8273 14th October 2015 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
first viewing of the night

SharonLynette 14th October 2015 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Karloff link. Then I think I was going to The Blood Beast Terror. At some point I want to end up at The Comeback.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 464720)
Karloff link. Then I think I was going to The Blood Beast Terror. At some point I want to end up at The Comeback.

I saw that last night again. (Which reminds me i want to read the 24 page booklet on it by Marcus Hearn) It's one of those that won't ever win any best film polls but i really like it.

Plus it has this classic quote - "It's like Boris Karloff is going to pop up at any moment".

I take it the link is director Vernon Sewell?