Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 8th October 2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 637237)
Another one I've not seen, was considering picking this up, it's in HMV's 2 for £15 Halloween deal at the moment.

If it's on the 2 for £15 go for it mate.

Demoncrat 8th October 2020 09:57 PM

So we all love the song. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I came here.

:ilovecultlabs:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th October 2020 10:28 PM

October 7th

1 Attachment(s)
The Omen (1976)

It's been years since i last watched The Omen and i don't mean one or two, more like ten to fifteen so i was quite looking forward to last night's viewing.

It really is one hell of a film and as a big budget horror blockbuster it works superbly well. From it's distinguished cast - Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, evil Billie Whitelaw, David Warner and Patrick Troughton - to the opening strains of Jerry Goldsmith's iconic theme and some brilliantly constructed deaths, not to mention Richard Donner's taut and pacy direction, The Omen is a classy affair.

It's gripping from the off and Donner really ramps up the atmosphere and chills, whilst David Seltzer's script embellishes on a prophecy from the Book of Revelation concerning the Antichrist and the coming of Armageddon, thus creating a suspenseful and genuinely scary horror film.

MrBarlow 8th October 2020 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. 1995.

A group of teens get involved in a car crash after leaving their prom and run into a family of psychotic cannibals.

This has to be the most bizarre entry into the franchise or a remake that was not helmed by Tobe Hopper but his writing partner Kim Henkel, after so many years of not seeing it fully (saw part of the ending while under the influence of alcohol) I kind of remembered why I hadn't watched it. Matthew McConaughey plays the demented brother Wilmer with the remote controlled leg and Rennee Zellwegger as part of the prom party who fall foul to the family. To say this was terrifying I would be lying but this was more funny and stupid and even trying to imitate the ending of the first movie does not go well, only thing decent was the soundtrack, if you like this film i'll hide :behindsofa:.

Attachment 228315

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 637224)
So weird things are afoot :lol:

Zombie 4: After Death (1989)

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/wp...5/zombi4_5.jpg

Erm... So a few things.
  • That song!
  • Jeff Stryker can't act.
  • Why are the zombies spewing washing up liquid?
  • How come the zombies can run after you, but not towards you when you're shooting them in the head.
  • So she only just realises that her parents were scientists who died on the island after almost everyone is killed.
  • Jeff Stryker's reaction to that news is the best bit in the film!
  • Then it just kind of ends!

However, some of the worst acting/dubbing I've seen in a long time, this is actually a fun film, ultra gory and has some very atmospheric photography (when it's in focus at least).

It's amazing what you can do with £200, a bottle of Fairy Liquid and some cold porridge.

:pound::pop2::clap:

Although it's been quite a while since I've seen it, I hadn't planned to watch After Death this month. Your review has put it on my October watchlist!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If anyone's interested there's an uncut copy of the Shriek Show After Death on Music Magpie for £3.09.

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/...-4-after-death

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 02:39 PM

House II: The Second Story (1987) ★★★½

A sequel in name only to House (1986), this has an entirely new cast and a new location. A couple of yuppies, Jesse and his girlfriend Kate (Ayr Gross and Lar Park Lincoln) move into an old mansion and are quickly joined by Jesse's friend Charlie and his girlfriend Lana (Jonathan Stark and Amy Yasbeck).

The house has belonged to Jesse's family for generations and, when looking through things in the basement, Jesse finds some photos including one of his great great grandfather, the man after whom he was named. There is an Aztec skull in the photos and Jesse and Charlie guess it's buried with his long deceased relative, so decide to do a bit of grave robbing. This doesn't go particularly smoothly because they are attacked by the corpse – the skull has basically turned the elder Jesse into a 170-year-old zombie. This isn't the only unusual aspect of their visit because they find out the house is full of interdimensional portals, allowing them to journey across time and space.

The principal narrative device is the crystal Aztec skull which was buried with 'Gramps' as it's a highly sought-after artefact and it's not one before they are all dimension hopping and doing battle with dinosaurs, Aztec warriors, and Gramps's nemesis. Fortunately, an electrician (John Ratzenberger) visits Jesse and Charlie, an electrician who isn't at all phased by time portals because "you see these all the time in these old houses" and proves quite adept with swords.

This is much lighter in tone than the first House film; it reminded me of Jumanji and Army of Darkness in its energy and sense of adventure. John Ratzenberger, who was known as the postman in Cheers at the time rather than a mainstay of Pixar films, is brilliant in this. He's energetic, funny, and unpredictable, and the scenes where he's the most active are the best.

It's quite funny to watch a film where events revolve around a crystal skull and Indiana Jones is now clear to be seen! I would be very surprised if this was an influence on George Lucas and Jeff Nathanson when writing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – I think House II: The Second Story is a better and more enjoyable film than the fourth instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 02:57 PM

Are you on drugs, Nos?

The House films are appalling. :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 637292)
Are you on drugs, Nos?

The House films are appalling. :lol:

I've come to the conclusion that you have no taste [emoji39]

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 637293)
I've come to the conclusion that you have no taste [emoji39]

Haha, thank you very much. :tongue1: :lol:

I have no idea who they are aimed at. They aren't in the least bit scary or gory, nor are they funny, just sub 80's Goonies tosh.