Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Justin101 9th October 2020 09:39 PM

Dracula (2020)

https://bighorrorguide.files.wordpre...acula-s1-1.jpg

Not even the slightest bit 'faithful' but how many versions of Dracula have we seen that stick to the source material, a lot!

Which Dracula Film is Most Faithful to the Book? - Spoiler, not this one!

I almost gave up after the first episode, where it started quite strong and ended up getting a little tedious. However, I stuck with it and episode two was by far the stand out section, almost entirely taking place on Dracula's voyage to England on the ship Demeter. We got a nice and slow character piece while Drac methodically offed everyone on the cruise!

Part three was not what I was expecting at all, this is where it steps clearly into Sherlock territory and I enjoyed it's boldness. Mark Gattiss even gives himself a nice cameo appearance.

Anyway, I've been watching this all day (4 and half hours), and I'm tired! It was enjoyable but a little bit uneven. It's got some nice gory bits in it though, it's pretty sexy as well, and it seems just a little bit gay, but I'm OK with that!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 637324)
Dracula (2020)

Not even the slightest bit 'faithful' but how many versions of Dracula have we seen that stick to the source material, a lot!

Good review, Justin, and thanks for the link to the YouTube video. It looks like it has been well researched, edited, and presented. I've saved for it later and will probably watch it tomorrow morning.

:thankingyou:

MrBarlow 9th October 2020 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Gore Gore Girls. 1972.

A reporter teams up with a private investigator on who is killing strippers from a sleazy night club.

Was given this film a few years back from a friend who never watched it but thought it may appeal to me, was this intentionally or unintentionally to be funny? A private investigator telling a police Lieutenant how to do his job or hand him clues and look for a missing bible. Yes this is a good gore fest but how the heck did one woman's nipple produce chocolate milk? The acting may not be the greatest to be seen but there is plenty topless women seen, that kinda makes up for the hour and 20 minutes wasted on this.

Attachment 228328

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 637324)
Dracula (2020)

I almost gave up after the first episode, where it started quite strong and ended up getting a little tedious. However, I stuck with it and episode two was by far the stand out section, almost entirely taking place on Dracula's voyage to England on the ship Demeter. We got a nice and slow character piece while Drac methodically offed everyone on the cruise!

Part three was not what I was expecting at all, this is where it steps clearly into Sherlock territory and I enjoyed it's boldness. Mark Gattiss even gives himself a nice cameo appearance.

Anyway, I've been watching this all day (4 and half hours), and I'm tired! It was enjoyable but a little bit uneven. It's got some nice gory bits in it though, it's pretty sexy as well, and it seems just a little bit gay, but I'm OK with that!

I have this to watch myself, i just don't know when. :confused:

Justin101 9th October 2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 637333)
I have this to watch myself, i just don't know when. :confused:

It's a big commitment, even if you just watched one episode at a time they're all an hour and half each! I'm glad I watched it though.

Regular programming will return tomorrow with more schlocky stuff I've not seen before :lol: I'm determined there will be no re-watches this month now I've come this far.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2020 10:57 PM

October 8th

2 Attachment(s)
Night of the Living Dead (1968) The Blair Witch Project (1998)

Two films that redefined the horror genre thirty years apart. George A Romero's film brought a whole new understanding of where zombie cinema could go and inspired flesh munching living dead imitators to this day.

Whilst The Blair Witch Project inspired even more amateur film makers to pick up a camera or tablet and just run with it. Literally.

And now, fifty two and twenty two years later, both films remain stone cold classics of horror cinema and perfect October horror marathon viewing.

MrBarlow 10th October 2020 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Witchcraft II: The Temptress. 1989.

A witch starts to stalk the now teenager from the first film, killing those around him and encourage him to join the coven.

The first movie was never the greatest with the bad acting yet the plot wasn't original and seemed entertaining how wrong I was yet I decided to try this one and see if it was a improvement...I was defiantly wrong, having Delia Sheppard in this as the witch was a good move but bad movie. Why do we keep watching bad movies right to the end when we know they won't get any better??? Avoid at much cost.

Attachment 228331

MrBarlow 10th October 2020 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sleepy Hollow. 1999

Ichabob Crane is sent to the small village of Sleepy Hollow to investigate three decapitations with the culprit being the local apparition "The Headless Horseman.

Tim Burton was just as good as they come to create such a gothic atmosphere based on the story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irvine and he manages to create the creepy village covered in a dense mist/fog even though the set is something you would find from a fairy tale or folklore.

Johnny Depp (a usual Burton cast) plays the policeman from New York who doesn't believe in ghosts until he sees the truth and still thinks it's make believe. Michael Gambon plays the town elder along with Jefferey Jones, Michael Gough and Ian McDiarmid and Richard Griffiths who persuade him to believe the legend along with Christina Ricci as the new interest and Christopher Walken as the headless horseman.

Burton's direction and focus is wonderfully mastered as the deaths may seem gruesome but never gone over the top, little blood splatter here and there but it's not sprayed everywhere with little twists and turns put in makes the film enjoyable to watch with a little bit of black humour at times that sees Crane as a tough nosed constable who seems a bit scared of his own shadow.

Attachment 228332

Justin101 10th October 2020 12:28 PM

The story so far...

https://i.ibb.co/PxLDZW4/October-Horror-list1.png

The Lair of the White Worm has been my favourite viewing up until now.

Frankie Teardrop 10th October 2020 02:38 PM

DEMONIA – Ah, I couldn’t do this October thing without a bit of Fulci, could I? I’m sure there’ll be more to come when the mood takes me. Anyway, ‘Demonia’, I hadn’t seen it before and to be honest I was prepared to feel underwhelmed, despite my fondness for the films kicking around in the latter part of his oeuvre that few seem to rate very highly (I’ve never understood that attitude, by the way – how can anyone see the likes of ‘Conquest’ and not give up drugs forever?). I was very pleasantly surprised, for ‘Demonia’ has all the characteristics of what, for me, makes Fulci Fulci – nonsensical plot, overstylised ‘dream-like’ bits, rip-offs of parts of his own movies, that Fulci thing of lingering over bad gore fx…if it wasn’t loaded with close-ups of eyes, then it felt like it damn well should’ve been. It’s about nuns buried in a crypt beneath a temple, the secrets and paranoia of an island community stuck in the ritualistic past, and an archaeological dig helmed by shifty man Bret Halsey. It was contrived to harken back to Fucli’s ‘classic’ era in a belated bid to cash-in, but manages to build an authentically eerie atmosphere of its own, all windswept Greek island wilderness and trippy chimes on the soundtrack, when it’s not trying too hard one of those other, more beloved films. Don’t expect ‘The Beyond’ and you may have a good time with it.