Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Frankie Teardrop 11th October 2020 11:54 AM

IBS – A downtrodden office guy’s life is ruined by irritable bowel syndrome, but, when he takes his friend’s advice and starts murdering people, he finds his symptoms improve dramatically. As a former sufferer, I sympathise, but couldn’t he have tried to fix his diet first? It would’ve saved a lot of hassle. In case you haven’t guessed, ‘IBS’ is firmly on the comedy side of the comedy-horror spectrum, but I didn’t despise it. No, considering I put ‘Alien 3’ on recently and just ended up feeling quite bored, I thought that ‘IBS’ was a pretty good laugh. Flicks heading this way usually end up with a cartoon manic thing that either works or doesn’t, but ‘IBS’ actually pulls of its zaniness enough to appear quite charming in places; witness chainsaw to papier mache bum scene. I got this because I saw that it was made by the director of ‘The Goatman Murders’; it doesn’t scale anything like the heights of sheer low tech badassness glimpsed in that film, but it’s smart enough to revel in its own cheapness and not come on like a massive Troma film, and that, believe it or not, is a compliment in my book. As for non-anamorphic widescreen in this day and age – well, how punk rock is that.

bleakshaun 11th October 2020 02:10 PM

The Lost Coast Tapes

A documentary crew head to the woods to meet a man who claims to have seen bigfoot and shit goes wrong.
To quote Paul Joseph Watson, IMAGINE MY SHOCK
I could think off plenty of things I could've been doing rather than watch this.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...1OA@@._V1_.jpg

trebor8273 11th October 2020 02:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yfp6oj2hw
Day 10

The young cast was likable enough and had some good scenes and references to other vampire films but on the whole found it forgettable, very PG 13 could of done with a bit more violence and gore but suppose it is aimed at a younger audience. 6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JngkqoShlm4

While neither Cravens or Murphy's best it's enjoyable and better than critics made out , mixes comedy and horror quite well but a times I thought it might of work better as a straight out horror.

The story follows Maximillion the last vampire coming too New York to seek a bride. 7.5

Now watching Warm Bodies.

Justin101 11th October 2020 02:53 PM

WNUF Halloween Special (2013)

https://www.killerhorrorcritic.com/u...jpg?1541101269

Tedious, stayed watching until the end for a payoff but when it came it was rubbish!

Found footage(ish) movie which is set on Halloween Night. Basically it's a mock TV broadcast from 1987 including WAY TOO MANY AD BREAKS where a crew and some guests go to an alleged haunted house to perform a seance.

It's saved from the dreaded 1 star review because some of the segments were kind of cool and interesting, but over all a waste of 80 minutes. It's ruined my streak of fun films!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2020 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been putting the Halloween lights up in the summer house. Hopefully i'll get a few decent evenings to sit in it. There was only one album to listen to as i worked.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...5&d=1602428124

trebor8273 11th October 2020 03:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07s-cNFffDM

Day 11

First viewing. Well this was a very pleasant surprise , a very different zombie movie mostly told from the zombie point of view. A zombie saves a young womans life and with that acted the world begins to change as he and his zombie friends slowly start becoming human . So Romero , walking dead have all had wrong , it the words of the Beatles all you need is love, love is all you need.

Will definitely be watching this again. 9/10

Who would of ever thought a zombie movie could be uplifting!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th October 2020 04:00 PM

Macabre (1980) ★★★½

This review may contain spoilers.

If any director had big shoes to fill, it was Lamberto Bava, the son of Mario who is generally regarded as one of the greatest Italian horror directors and the ‘godfather’ of the Giallo film.

Approached to make a film with a script and a newspaper clipping guaranteeing the authenticity of the material, Lamberto Bava made Macabre as his debut feature to critical and commercial success. The third act reveal is oddly given away not only by the trailer but, more luridly, by most poster art and DVD covers all – I would have expected distributors to keep it a secret, just as the plot twists in Psycho were closely protected.

The clipping that Bava was handed was only a small report of a woman who kept her lover’s head in the freezer and that’s what happens in Macabre. Jane Baker (played by British actress Bernice Stegers) is busy having an affair with Fred Kellerman at the home of blind musical instrument repairman Robert Duval. One day when she tells her daughter, Lucy, that she has a meeting to go to, the curious and resourceful young girl goes through her mother's address book and calls Fred’s room where her mother answers. A little peeved, Lucy tries to think of something to do to get back at her mother and comes up with the obvious answer: fratricide! Luring her younger brother upstairs to play with his toy yacht in the bath, Lucy unemotionally drowns him and then lets her mother know that he’s dead. Desperate to get home, Jane gets Fred to drive her but they crash and Fred is beheaded, tipping Jane over the edge so she spends a year in a mental hospital.

Upon her release, Jane lodges in Fred’s apartment in Robert’s house where she has a shrine to her late lover and begins confusing her blind landlord when he hears orgiastic moaning from the room and Jane saying Fred’s name. Does she have another boyfriend called Fred or is she imagining things? The answer is worse than both of these and is in the freezer.

Macabre isn’t consistently horrific and I wanted Bava to do much more with Jane’s homicidal daughter, but he’s obviously a better filmmaker than I would ever be and knew what he was doing as everything is held back for the third act when all plot strands converge into a quite incredible ending.

Though I knew the major reveal the first time I saw Macabre because of the DVD cover, I really enjoyed this even when it neglected the tension and horror for a more darkly comic theme in the latter stages. The fact that they didn’t keep the ‘head in the freezer’ aspect a secret is puzzling as the film would have been so much more effective if that had come as a surprise but there is a decent twist in the tail that gets you just before the final credits. Lamberto Bava isn’t a director of his father’s calibre but this is a pretty good film with creditable performances throughout. It's a film I've seen several times and enjoyed every time.

Nordicdusk 11th October 2020 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 11

Attachment 228396

Four teens head up to the lake for a camping trip when they stop for gas the gas attendant warns them to stay away from the lake and woods but teens will be teen and they just ignore his advice thinking he is just some local nut job well they are not wrong but neither is he. Not long into the trip the couples get separated putting their disappearance down to some sexy time they go about their own business but when the couple do not return after a couple of hours the search is on. They find a small shack in the woods and inside they find the mutilated bodies of their friends and a number of other bodies moments later they are face to face with the killer and and its not of this world. They are forced to team up with the crazy gas station attendant to fight off the alien and to make things even worse a local vietnam vet is convinced that the couple are the aliens that have been stalking the small town.

Unfortunately it looks like the Amazon Prime copy of the film was a vhs copy so some of the night scenes were very dark but it didn't really spoil my views just worth a mention for anyone else who wants to watch it.

I had a blast with this film there are some great makeup effects and disgusting oozing pus filled gore the little disc things the aliens throws at people are awesome the way the latch on to people and sink their teeth into them and for most people its game over once that happens. Jack Palance and Martin LanDau completely steal the show but of them are crazy Jack Palance as the gas station attendant and Martin Landau as the Vietnam Vet they both light up the screen with their performance.

Without Warning is just a fun film i really must pick up the Blu Ray as i said this copy was very dark and sometimes shaky.

7/10

Dave Boy 11th October 2020 06:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hammer Films double bill night.

Attachment 228397
THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958)

Attachment 228398
DRACULA (1958)

These films need no introductions. Watching these movies side by side you can really see how the sets were revamped as Frankenstein was next in production after Dracula. A good example of Bernard Robinson and Don Mingaye's set designs.

MrBarlow 11th October 2020 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Beyond The Grave. 1974.

A anthology of tales revolving around people who buy stuff from a antiques shop.

1. The Gate Crasher: After purchasing a old mirror, Edward is unaware it has a spirit inside which urges him to kill in order to free the spirit.

2. An Act Of Kindness: A man purchases matches from a street peddler soon they become friends unaware of the out come on what his friendship may cost him.

3. The Element: After swapping price tags on two snuff boxes, Reg is told he has something attached to him, after it attacks his wife he contacts the medium who saw it for help.

The Door: William buys a old door and asks what was once behind it, he is told a blue room, at night he finds the blue room with someone sinister in the room.

A superb slice of British horror from Amicus and a good star cast from peter Cushing, Ian Brannen, Donald Pleasance, David Warner and blonde bombshell Diana Dors. the stories may seem predictable on the outcome but do offer a lot of suspense and madness, even though there is a thief trying to rob the shop and we know the outcome will not be good for him in the end. Peter Cushing plays the proprietor of the store who doesn't like to be ripped off and never tells anyone the evil of the purchases.

Attachment 228403