All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2020, 05:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I mentioned this a few months ago elsewhere on the forum!
Oh bugger then
Susan Foreman likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2020, 06:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 11th

The Haunting (1963)

Quite probably the most effective supernatural horror film of all time. You won't find any modern day jump scares here just nerve shredding tension.

There i was sat quietly, fully invested as Julie Harris and Claire Bloom stared in horror as the handle of the bedroom door slowly and creakily turned, the banging on the walls becoming disorienting, when my dog, Milly, burst in flinging open the door of my darkened room lit only by the tv and a single candle held in a cauldron. TALK ABOUT JUMPING OUT OF MY SKIN!!!.

The Lords of Salem (2012)

In The Lords of Salem Rob Zombie takes his film making in an adventurous, bold new direction and seemingly out of his comfort zone. Gone are the gory shock tactics to be replaced with a brooding menace akin to Rosemary's Baby.

Each time i watch this it always impresses me how Zombie gives a lot of screen time to veteran actresses Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn, who Hammer fans may remember as a witch in the Hammer House of Horror episode Witching Time. The three all revel in their meaty roles and its wonderful to see them seemingly having so much fun back in the horror genre. The oft derided Sheri Moon gives as good as she gets against these horror legends too.

As with all Rob Zombie films the visuals are striking and often unnerving with a soundtrack composed and collated beautifully to events on screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ba6b7e09c58047905d23bd96740ca42f.jpg (97.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3-the-lords-of-salem.jpg (92.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 12th October 2020, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

City Of The Living Dead. 1980.

During a seance a psychic has visions of a priest hanging himself in a cemetery which opens the gates and allow the dead to rise up. Teaming up with a journalist, a psychiatrist and his patient, they venture to Dunwich to close the gates of hell.

This film I never appreciated when i had the VHS Vipco release due to the cuts and seemed stupid and boring, when I saw it online to try again and enjoy it, I had no idea i disrespected the film and Lucio Fulci

Christopher George plays the New York journalist who helps psychic Catriona MacColl from a grave and venture to the cursed town to find the grave of the priest and stop the world from becoming Hell. Carlo De Mejo plays Gerry the psychiatrist and Janet Argen as Sandra. There is the usual Fulci trademark of gore and a woman puking up her guts up...literally, bet that may have touched a nerve with the sensors back then and a ending that may go unexplained. Fabio Frizzi background score mixes in well with the dark atmospheric tone of the film and plenty of decent make-up effects.

IMG_2069.jpg
Old 12th October 2020, 07:35 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 12

MV5BNTMzNDJkZDctMzk1Ni00MDg0LTg4YmQtOGZmMjRiOTM0M2ViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

A young kid who doesnt talk is always the victim of local bullies because they think he is a weirdo but one day they go too far and knock him down a well. Years later David returns after escaping an insane asylum to get his revenge on the bullied and show his gratitude to the one girl who was nice to him when he was a kid. As he picks off the bullies he leave body parts as gifts outside Gretchens door.

Jesus this film is maybe the moat blatant Halloween rip off i have ever seen the music is almost identical that keeps playing through the whole film. When David is hiding in the shadows is the exact same breathing as Michael Myers its like they stole the sound bites direct from Halloween and put them into the film. The acting is terrible and the worst thing is the camera cut away when ever there is a kill and all we see is the blood. The two girls in this film ate terrible not once do them seem bothered by the fact they are finding body parts around the house instead just moaning about how hungry they are but cant go into the kitchen because there is a nose on the floor .

I just felt bored through the whole film it was slow and mostly filler no build up of tension just boring scene after boring scene.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE

3/10
Old 12th October 2020, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A film I have easily watched over a hundred times now MrB!!!
From a battered old vhs print, to this stunning looking BD, it's a film that has been one of mainstays (and will remain so until my time is up haha)

REWATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mojo, Nordicdusk and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2020, 07:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Haunting (1963)

Quite probably the most effective supernatural horror film of all time. You won't find any modern day jump scares here just nerve shredding tension.

There i was sat quietly, fully invested as Julie Harris and Claire Bloom stared in horror as the handle of the bedroom door slowly and creakily turned, the banging on the walls becoming disorienting, when my dog, Milly, burst in flinging open the door of my darkened room lit only by the tv and a single candle held in a cauldron. TALK ABOUT JUMPING OUT OF MY SKIN!!!.

The Lords of Salem (2012)

In The Lords of Salem Rob Zombie takes his film making in an adventurous, bold new direction and seemingly out of his comfort zone. Gone are the gory shock tactics to be replaced with a brooding menace akin to Rosemary's Baby.

Each time i watch this it always impresses me how Zombie gives a lot of screen time to veteran actresses Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn, who Hammer fans may remember as a witch in the Hammer House of Horror episode Witching Time. The three all revel in their meaty roles and its wonderful to see them seemingly having so much fun back in the horror genre. The oft derided Sheri Moon gives as good as she gets against these horror legends too.

As with all Rob Zombie films the visuals are striking and often unnerving with a soundtrack composed and collated beautifully to events on screen.
A fantastic double bill
Old 12th October 2020, 07:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
A film I have easily watched over a hundred times now MrB!!!
From a battered old vhs print, to this stunning looking BD, it's a film that has been one of mainstays (and will remain so until my time is up haha)

REWATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It really is one of those that can be watched over and over.
Mojo, Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th October 2020, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Reminds me of the VHS I had of House by the Cemetery, it had the Vampix logo on it but it wasn't the old pre-cert one it had around 5 or 6 minutes cut out, so much so the film made no sense and I thought Lucio Fulci was a terrible film maker

It was only YEARS later when I started seeing his films uncut I realised he had nothing to do with the versions I'd been watching.

Edit: from Move-Censorship.com
There are 28 missing scenes with a total length of 6 minute and 18.5 seconds.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th October 2020, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, happy days ....

I really need to see this doc. Respectability, after all this time ahem.
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
Old 12th October 2020, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm the same – I don't have to look away any more, but it affects me more than anything else in the film. It's not as bad as a similar, but different, underwater scene in Sympathy for Mr Vengeance though!
I Saw the Devil's tendon scene still cringes me out.
this month so far for me has been going to shit, ****ing work man too ****ing much. still should be back on track by the end of the week
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!