Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2020, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

The Wrong House

2 families head to a house up for sale. After an accident involving a mute girl they end up stuck in the land and cannot get out.
It is for sure a slow burner and kinda gives me Shining vibes but it still is a great low budget horror and one worth checking out.

Old 13th October 2020, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Day 13

Taking place straight after the last movie , the city of Racoon city has been overrun by the T virus, Alice who now has superpowers thanks too the virus teams up with other survivors including Jill Valentine , as well as having too deal with the zombies and Umbrella they also have to contend with the nemesis. More zombies and more action than the first . 7/10

Next up Extinction.
Old 13th October 2020, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fright Night. 1985.

Average teen Charlie Brewster begins to suspect his new neighbour Jerry Dandrige of being a vampire. When no one believes him he turns to his favourite T.V. vampire killer actor Peter Vincent for help.

Classic 80s horror from Tom Holland who wrote and directed this film with Roddy McDowell as the fearless vampire killer on television who just about shits himself when he sees a real vampire. Chris Sarandon plays the cocky, arrogant and smooth vampire Jerry who's night time feeds are blown and seeks to torment Charlie. William Ragsdale plays Charlie who, Amanda Bearse plays the girlfriend Amy and Stephen Geoffreys plays the friend Ed who brings some funny moments to the film.

With the age before CGI there was plenty special effects used and make-up with Billy Cole Played by Johnathan Stark who dissolves in to a pile of ooze and the vampire make-up was done well and a nice background score by Brad Feidel and some 80s disco music along the way.

7QZEasKt2L1jZwTYLYt0DtvF6Hy.jpg
Old 13th October 2020, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The House of the Devil (2009)

My nerves are TATTERED. Never have I been so frozen in fear as when a set of fingers close around the edge of a door... I saw a lot of people saying this is too slow, I think that they are wrong.

This film starts off like a day in the life of Sam, she goes to rent a new apartment because her room-mate is a nightmare, she has pizza with her best friend, she bags a job as a babysitter only where is the baby? Each turn of events brings the tension a notch higher until, Sam exploring the house to find the source of the creaking she can hear, pulls a light cord only to fuse all the lights in the house.

Panic sets in and reaches fever pitch when that set of fingers curls around the door. I'm right with Sam as she starts having a panic attack, everything going out of focus and she starts to pass out. What follows is freaky, and even with the Satanic Panic disclaimer at the beginning I didn't expect it, but it shifts the tone a little too much into fantasy which spoils the tense atmosphere of the previous 80 minutes.

It could have been 5 stars and I don't know how I would have made it different, but it was still a really good film and I highly recommend if you have the patience for a film that builds rather than screams!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th October 2020, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Fright Night. 1985.

Attachment 228453

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th October 2020, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Boogeyman. 1980.

Through the reflection of a mirror, a young girl Lacey witnesses her brother stabbing their mum's boyfriend. Twenty years later the brother Willie now a mute receive a letter that their mum wants to see them before she dies. Lacey under instructions from her doctor to go back to the house and face her fear, she smashes the mirror and releases the spirit that was trapped in the mirror.

This has been a odd one for me as it deals with slasher and supernatural elements, as very little is explained Willie was the one that done the killing yet he is scared of mirrors. The acting isn't brilliant no matter how many times you watch it, think I have seen this 3-4 times and still get confused by it at times. The killings are done decently with good blood splatter that does make up for the bad acting, not one I can watch over and over again.

the boogeyman.jpeg
Old 13th October 2020, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Fright Night. 1985.

Average teen Charlie Brewster begins to suspect his new neighbour Jerry Dandrige of being a vampire. When no one believes him he turns to his favourite T.V. vampire killer actor Peter Vincent for help.

Classic 80s horror from Tom Holland who wrote and directed this film with Roddy McDowell as the fearless vampire killer on television who just about shits himself when he sees a real vampire. Chris Sarandon plays the cocky, arrogant and smooth vampire Jerry who's night time feeds are blown and seeks to torment Charlie. William Ragsdale plays Charlie who, Amanda Bearse plays the girlfriend Amy and Stephen Geoffreys plays the friend Ed who brings some funny moments to the film.

With the age before CGI there was plenty special effects used and make-up with Billy Cole Played by Johnathan Stark who dissolves in to a pile of ooze and the vampire make-up was done well and a nice background score by Brad Feidel and some 80s disco music along the way.

Attachment 228453
I watched this last night (haven't got round to reviewing it yet though) I really liked it again. Not seen it for several years. The FX work is tremendous.
Old 13th October 2020, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this last night (haven't got round to reviewing it yet though) I really liked it again. Not seen it for several years. The FX work is tremendous.
it's one i watch every year, first time i saw on tv when i was 9-10 years old, the advert showed Peter Vincent walking to the house with fog coming out of it, freaked me out more than what the film did
Old 13th October 2020, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
it's one i watch every year, first time i saw on tv when i was 9-10 years old, the advert showed Peter Vincent walking to the house with fog coming out of it, freaked me out more than what the film did
Amanda Bearse was gorgeous in vamp mode, less so as an out and out vampire. That hooker in the green dress who gets out of the car almost stole the whole movie though
Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 13th October 2020, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Amanda Bearse was gorgeous in vamp mode, less so as an out and out vampire. That hooker in the green dress who gets out of the car almost stole the whole movie though
The hooker certainly knew how to be a tease when she walked
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!