Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 14th October 2020 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Blue blood. 1974.

A butler tries to take possession of his master by means of witchcraft.

To say this was a classic is a understatement, yes it is a bit of a chiller and very weird to say the least. Oliver Reed plays Tom the butler(with a weird accent that seems to change) seems to be tired of being a gentleman's gentleman. Meg Wynn Owen plays the new nanny accused of beating her young charges and tries to blame Tom. Derek Jacobi plays the master of the house who rather be drinking, smoking and not spending time with his children while his wife is away. Some of the scenes do seem to be like a dream state but are they a dream or are they real. The acting is somewhat decent and at times do think Oliver was either drunk of upset with the director or just didn't take the film seriously.

Attachment 228460

MrBarlow 14th October 2020 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Messiah of Evil. 1973.

A young woman goes searching for her missing artist father, she arrives at a small Californian town that harbours a dark curse.

This was a bit creepy and very dark atmospheric movie that seemed to be forgotten about, from start to finish the film didn't start off slowly and went for a steady pace that almost had me on the edge of the sofa and I didn't want to look away. Marianna Hill plays Arletty who is looking for her father and finds Thom (Michael Greer) who seems like the perfect stranger but is he hiding something. Royal Dano and Elisha Cook Jr have some minor roles but they bring their acting upto perfect standards and bring their own creepiness to their roles. Worth a watch and best watched in the dark.

Attachment 228461

Demoncrat 14th October 2020 02:27 AM

I love MOE MrB, I can't quite think of a film "like" it tbh. :nod:

Demoncrat 14th October 2020 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 637671)
The House of the Devil (2009)

https://i1.wp.com/thehorrorsyndicate...?fit=799%2C498

My nerves are TATTERED. Never have I been so frozen in fear as when a set of fingers close around the edge of a door... I saw a lot of people saying this is too slow, I think that they are wrong.

This film starts off like a day in the life of Sam, she goes to rent a new apartment because her room-mate is a nightmare, she has pizza with her best friend, she bags a job as a babysitter only where is the baby? Each turn of events brings the tension a notch higher until, Sam exploring the house to find the source of the creaking she can hear, pulls a light cord only to fuse all the lights in the house.

Panic sets in and reaches fever pitch when that set of fingers curls around the door. I'm right with Sam as she starts having a panic attack, everything going out of focus and she starts to pass out. What follows is freaky, and even with the Satanic Panic disclaimer at the beginning I didn't expect it, but it shifts the tone a little too much into fantasy which spoils the tense atmosphere of the previous 80 minutes.

It could have been 5 stars and I don't know how I would have made it different, but it was still a really good film and I highly recommend if you have the patience for a film that builds rather than screams!

When Noonan leans forward ...;)
REWATCH!

Susan Foreman 14th October 2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 637657)
Trainee FBI agent Clarice Starling is told to interview psychopathic cannibal Hannibal Lecter hoping he can give insight and help catch another serial killer called buffalo bill. Lecter expertly plays the FBI too his benefit. The film that gave the world the anti hero of Hannibal Lecter.

Other than 'Manhunter', made 5 years earlier in 1986!

trebor8273 14th October 2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 637702)

agree i really should of said too the masses, still seems a lot who have never heard of manhunter

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 637702)

If you're being specific, Manhunter introduced Hannibal Lecktor, not Hannibal Lecter, someone who is not really an anti-hero and, like the 'Tooth Fairy', more of a villain.

John Matrix 14th October 2020 01:27 PM

https://musicart.xboxlive.com/7/f00e...?w=1920&h=1080

Pretty rubbish, and the "metal" elements were beyond cringy.

Pruit Taylor Vince was good though.

John Matrix 14th October 2020 02:59 PM

Halloween watching so far. Been off isolating with the Covid Mrs so been getting in one a night nae bother.

Susperia 8/10
The Devils Candy 4/10
The Changeling 7/10
Re-animator 8/10
The Wicker Man 10/10
Friday the 13th Part 2 6/10
Phantasm 4/10
The Vampire Lovers 7/10

Phantasm I hadn't seen in years and I always remember it being a great horror film but after sitting through it again I've realised it's really boring and not that good. The Tall Man is cool but that's about it.

Frankie Teardrop 14th October 2020 04:30 PM

NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (2009) – I saw the sequel yesterday, so why not? One of the less obvious remakes from that time in the noughties when all the seventies and eighties ‘classics’ seemed to be getting a makeover of some kind, ‘Night of the Demons’ holds its own pretty well against its higher-profile competition and is certainly a lot more fun than the multiplex-friendly reincarnation of F Kruger et al. In fact it’s similar in spirit to the original, just a straightforward mix of comedy and horror that doesn’t take itself too seriously but makes room for some actual nastiness – case in point, this version’s gynaetastic update of the Tenney movie’s infamous lipstick scene. The demons look like messed up, hellish creatures this time around, definitely a point in its favour, along with gory outbursts which are intense enough to impress. Edward Furlong, here a hapless but amiable drug dealer, looks like he’s seen better days, and the camerawork grates a bit with that sped-up quick edit thing that I loathed in the early part of this century and still do to this day, but this version of ‘Night of the Demons’ is an enjoyable romp tailor-made for light Hallowe’en-type viewing