Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2020, 06:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (2009) – the camerawork grates a bit with that sped-up quick edit thing that I loathed in the early part of this century and still do to this day.
This is one of the main reasons i don't get on with a lot of stuff from that era. It's unnecessary and always takes me right out of a film.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 14th October 2020, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchtrap. 1989.

A team of Parapsychologist, camera tech and a team of private detectives try to make a Haunted Inn safe for guest to stay.

This is your basic 80s B horror film from Kevin S. Tenney who made Witchboard and Night Of The Demons, you know not to take it seriously, it is a bit out dated but at least we get to see Linnea Quiley in her full frontal beauty. The acting isn't that great apart from a few good one liners and maybe a few attempt at jump scares and a exploding head here and there, it is nothing we haven't seen before but aside all that it is still pretty decent to watch (IMO)

81BZDXh%2Bc4L._AC_SX342_.jpg
Old 14th October 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Mario Bava double bill..

71b9bXOJ5dL._AC_SY741_.jpg
THE MASK OF SATAN (1960)

Excellent atmospheric horror.
Being shot in black and white really adds to the movie.
I gave this a miss last year Halloween so really enjoyed last nights viewing. All the horror elements are here and I would say this is essential viewing for this time of year.

gli-orrori-del-castello-di-norimberga.jpg
BARON BLOOD (1972)

That's what you get when you decide to go back to the old castle at night and say the words written by a witch to bring back the old Baron!
Atmospheric horror with a nice torture chamber.
The Baron looks suitably nasty and the scene where he opens the lid of the spiked coffin is nice and yucky!
Old 14th October 2020, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spiders. 2000.

After a spider is injected with alien DNA in space, a NASA space shuttle is hit by a meteor shower and the shuttle crash lands, one survivor is found mutated. Three college journalists go looking for a story and go into the secret bunker.

This is what you expect when you pay so little for a dvd boxset of creature features released by Hollywood DVD. The acting isn't as bad as some other B movies that are around, the CGI effects are not great but not terrible and may seem laughable, up close the spiders do look realistic and had some money spent on the designs with plenty splatter of human and spider blood mixed in, enjoyable enough to laugh at people standing around while a giant spider runs wild.

51KWWNZ2KTL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 14th October 2020, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

Yikes!

Some of the worst looking CG effects I've seen in a film. It's so ugly as well, it looks like a really cheap TV movie but I get the feeling that a fair amount of money was spent here.

This could have been much better, if only everything was different ha!
At least Jensen Ackles and Kerr Smith provided the eye candy

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2020, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 12th

Fright Night (1985)

An eighties vampire classic that doesn't go down the usual routes but borrows from the likes of Hitchcock's Rear Window instead of genre classics in an updating of the 'Boy who cries wolf' scenario with ingenious results.

William Ragsdale plays a teen who is convinced a vampire has just moved in next door, however his girlfriend, mum and best mate really aren't, nor is washed up late night tv horror host Roddy McDowell when Ragsdale approaches him for help.

Fright Night gives us some surprisingly complex character relationships that put it on a level above your typical eighties fright flick, yet it doesn't stint on the horror either especially in the mouth watering finale where practical gore and make up FX reign supreme.

Werewolf of London (1935)

Some six years before their iconic The Wolf Man, Universal gave us this offering. I find it bizarre that some seem to prefer it to the Lon Chaney classic because try as i might i just cannot get into it. There are some cringe worthy and extremely annoying London washer woman stereotypes but it's the werewolf itself that takes me completely out of the film. He looks just like Eddie Munster.
Old 14th October 2020, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spiders II: Breeding Ground. 2001.

A couple adrift from their sailing Yacht are picked up by a freighter boat, unaware the doctor on board is conducting experiments on humans with Spiders.

This film seemed to start of well then became a total abandon ship towards the end, I get the feeling the makers were trying to rip off Alien, instead of the spiders bursting out of the chest it was more the stomach area. Richard Moll plays the demented doctor hell bent on creating a new species of spider from a human host by kidnapping people from other boats in their area. The acting was decent enough but this was ruined by bad CGI effects that make it more laughable than terrifying.

510XZT3HZXL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 15th October 2020, 12:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[REC] 3: Genesis. 2012.

A couple's happy wedding day becomes a nightmare when the outbreak from the building reaches there wedding party, for what was to be a happy day turns into a night of survival.

This isn't a sequel or prequel film, it takes place on the day/night Angela and Pablo go with the firemen to the building and the SWAT team, only thing missing is the explanation how two other victims fall foul of the outbreak. It does start off like found footage then goes to normal which does take the suspense away from the first two films but the blood splatter makes up for it. The actors do try to make it convincing as a happy couple who share laughs and jokes with family members before all hell breaks loose, decent follow up to the films.

20184977.jpg
Old 15th October 2020, 04:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Halfway up the hill, so let's celebrate with -

NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1980) – Christ, I’d forgotten how mental this one is; it’s tempting to list all of NOTD’s many bizarre flourishes, but I’d need a separate thread. It’s a grindhouse take on Bigfoot that made the Nasty List back in Thatcher’s Britain, but, like ‘Don’t Go Near The Park’, it’s much more of an assault on ordinary common sense and logic than public decency. You get a flavour of what’s to come right from the start, when an unhappy camper’s ravaged arm stump flaps in the soil and sends blood spurting into a nearby footprint... a BIGfootprint, geddit? The credits roll over that little scene, which you wouldn’t expect to set the tone for the entire film, but it does. NOTF becomes a blur of ultra-stiff performances, woodland scenes set to prime seventies easy listening music or screeching electronic noise, and absolutely bizarre kills – forget about the dick-ripping that everyone mentions, what they should be talking about is the bit where Bigfoot seems to murder two knife-brandishing girl scouts by slamming them together until they stab each other to death! Quite literally unbelievable. Even the quieter moments let the craziness seep in – witness the strange fireside seduction of one camper by another, as relayed by badly framed close ups of their faces and a finger pushing a chess piece. OK, you had to be there, but the point is, there isn’t really much in NOTD that resembles even partial sanity. That’s not to say it doesn’t have its longueurs, and it would be probably more accurate to say that it alternates between boring stretches of nothingness and unintentional psychedelia. But the slow motion, entrail-whirling climax will linger on in your mind, even as the rest of NOTD fades like a bad dream
Old 15th October 2020, 04:26 PM
Cultist

Fright Night 8/10

Love this film, only docked points for Charlie's annoying wee pain in the arse pal.

Billy's also totally gay for Jerry.

Like this? Share it using the links below!