Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2020, 01:13 AM
Cult Addict

That's the problem, a lot of women these days spend their whole lives trying to
artificially enhance stuff with too much make up fake tan or whatever, or spend the rest of the time getting into fights and clogging up A & E.

Obviously the sensible clever ones are either attached or doing shit online because they are nerds.

You just can't win.

I guess this applies to males as well.

Give me a nice nerdy girl.
Demoncrat, iank and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 19th October 2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 19th October 2020, 08:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dark Places (1973, Don Sharp)

Ably directed if woefully scripted chiller with the Robert Hardy and the Joan Collins and the Herbert Lom and the Christopher Lee.
Still waters run deep could be the tagline tbh.
A man "inherits" a crumbling stately pile, then takes up residence post haste. I wasn't really concentrating at this point as John Levene played an orderly, which set me off in a tangent of "is this Sgt Benton's film career I see before me??"
Ahem. Hardy's ok in the role, but I get the feeling it would have suited a younger actor cough. I had never seen this and was reasonably pleased with it. Whether I ever return to it is another matter haha. I do feel that it would have been a better film if the script had been more "in focus".

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th October 2020, 09:14 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Dark Places (1973, Don Sharp)

Ably directed if woefully scripted chiller with the Robert Hardy and the Joan Collins and the Herbert Lom and the Christopher Lee.
Still waters run deep could be the tagline tbh.
A man "inherits" a crumbling stately pile, then takes up residence post haste. I wasn't really concentrating at this point as John Levene played an orderly, which set me off in a tangent of "is this Sgt Benton's film career I see before me??"
Ahem. Hardy's ok in the role, but I get the feeling it would have suited a younger actor cough. I had never seen this and was reasonably pleased with it. Whether I ever return to it is another matter haha. I do feel that it would have been a better film if the script had been more "in focus".
Never heard of this. Was it a YT watch?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th October 2020, 09:46 AM
Cultist

6/10 for The Fog. It's ok, just nothing special, a bit of a dive in quality released in-between masterpieces like Halloween, Escape from NY and The Thing.
Old 19th October 2020, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inspired by Frankie's last post, I dug out the one and only NS flick I has ...

They Don't Cut the Grass Anymore (1985)

Two ne'er do wells run amuck in suburbia (cue PSB track haha). Not for the faint of heart. Makes Things look like an avant masterpiece
Grotty fun for the less demanding pervert in your life. And they DO say the title, be assured folks
Ahem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NS.jpg (68.9 KB, 2 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th October 2020, 10:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Never heard of this. Was it a YT watch?
Twas that. Enjoy!!

[B]
Old 19th October 2020, 10:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post

6/10 for The Fog. It's ok, just nothing special, a bit of a dive in quality released in-between masterpieces like Halloween, Escape from NY and The Thing.

BURN THE HERETIC

[B]
Old 19th October 2020, 11:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post

i love the Fog, for up there with Carpenters best, oozes atmosphere perfect Halloween viewing . easily 9 / 10
Old 19th October 2020, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran

I'm agreeing with The Fog love, it's one of Carpenter's best I'd watch it this October but I've committed to 1st time watches so no classic favourites for me!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th October 2020, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 18th

Devil Doll (1964)

A British chiller seemingly influenced by the classic anthology Dead of Night. Here cult director Lindsay Shonteff expands on the ventriloquist section of that film and elongates on the mysticism aspect especially soul transference.

The script has a starkness that is matched by it's excellent photography and absorbing performances from Bryant Halliday, as the ventriloquist, William Sylvester, and the lovely Yvonne Romain adds glamour.

Hugo, the films wooden devil doll is an eerily chilling creation and is delightfully nasty. Fully uncut the continental version is a sleazier proposition than it's UK imprint with added nudity. Both versions are on the US dvd from Image.

A compelling little film and well worth seeking out.

The main problem with the film really has nothing to do with it at all. It just leaves you wanting more. Director Lindsay Shonteff is the problem and the sad fact that his estate refuses to allow anyone the rights to the bulk of his work at a price worth taking a gamble on. I fear we will never see the likes of Big Zapper and Licensed to Love and Kill on disc at all, and that is a crying shame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg devil_doll_1964_poster_03.jpg (97.1 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!