Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Justin101 21st October 2020 09:06 PM

The First Purge (2018)

https://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-cont...featurette.jpg

Probably the worst of the 4 films but an interesting delve into the backstory of The Purge. It is much more of an Action film than a Horror but it has plenty of creepy visuals and enough over the top violence. The contact lenses that they gave the participants are particularly spooky looking once it gets dark!

The political message is absolutely hammered home without any finesse, you couldn't watch this and not know what they were trying to say and it does hurt the film. However the likable cast of characters makes up for the shortcomings.

I liked it, but it is completely average.

MrBarlow 21st October 2020 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eaten Alive. 1976.

Local redneck Judd owns a run down hotel, when people upset him or mention anything towards his business he kills them and feeds their bodies to his pet crocodile.

Tobe Hooper teams up with Kim Henkel and brings us this little independent film, I will say it is not a masterpiece but still enjoyable to watch, the acting seems very amateurish even though Robert Englund appears in one of his early role and Kyle Richards who later appeared in Halloween two years later do try to keep things going with some suspense. Neville Brand gives out a decent performance as the deranged hotel owner with his scythe and pet. On the Arrow release there is a nice introduction from Tobe Hooper just a shame Carolyn Jones didn't have a longer screen time.

Attachment 228795

John Matrix 22nd October 2020 10:09 AM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SY400_.jpg

9/10

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....J8TJL._AC_.jpg

9/10

Big Chris was definitely the best Dracula.

Nordicdusk 22nd October 2020 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 21

Attachment 228813

Dr Bill Cortner is obsessed with his research into transplants but his father who is also a doctor is not happy with his experiments and the fact he is stealing limbs from the morgue trying to attach them to bodies. On a weekend off Bill gets a call that he must go to a house he has in the ciuntry away from everyone urgently with his girlfriend in tow he heads out in the dangerously winding roads at a dangerous and recless speed. When he loses controll and the car rolls down a steep embankment Jan is decapitated. Bill grabs the head and runs to his laboritory near by to try and save the head which he hopes to attach to a new body.

Right from the start i was all in with this one decent acting and a great idea i really liked the way this was heading but right in the middle there was a long scene with the head what ever was behind the bolted door and one of Bills test subjects and assisstants that just dragged on for ages it really halted the flow. I did enjoy this but i had hopped for a little bit more. Sadly the ending felt rushed as well as the search for the right body for the head the film runs at 90 minutes so there was plenty of time to fit in what was needed.

Enjoyable but lacking something

5/10

Inspector Abberline 22nd October 2020 03:21 PM

I ain't got

Quote:

Enjoyable but lacking something
Well a body for a start.....

Nordicdusk 22nd October 2020 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 22

Attachment 228815

When their father goes missing two brothers reunite to pack up his old vhs store. Inside the locked office they find a vhs board game that they must play to find out what happened to their father.

Billed as an 80s throwback i didnt get any 80s vibe from this at all they tried to force it with an 80s synth soundtrack that didnt feels 80s at all and some neon pink lighting that again did nothing to add anything to the atmosphere. Most of the acting was pretty wooden and flat i get that the two brothers were estranged but they acted like two people that never met before and that really started to wear on me after awhile. One thing the film did get right was the gore it did look great with tons of blood and organs getting extracted with reckless abandon but that doesnt make up for the rest of the film which i honestly found boring.

Purley for the gore
4/10

Justin101 22nd October 2020 03:54 PM

I gave Beyond the Gates a 3 out of 5 so I must have enjoyed it. Apart from it starting in a video store and Barbara Crampton being on the tape I can't really remember what else happens :lol:

Nordicdusk 22nd October 2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 638420)
I gave Beyond the Gates a 3 out of 5 so I must have enjoyed it. Apart from it starting in a video store and Barbara Crampton being on the tape I can't really remember what else happens :lol:

Thats almost as much as i remember i only just watched it :lol:

Frankie Teardrop 22nd October 2020 04:30 PM

THE COMEBACK – It was inevitable I’d raise my Hallowe’en goblet to Pete Walker, he’s been long due a visit round my neck of the woods. Or maybe a Comeback… in which crooner Jack Jones stages a career resurgence in dowdy-looking late seventies London whilst Pamela Stevenson and Compo lurk in the background and try to convince us they’re not mask-wearing giallo-esque killers. ‘The Comeback’ has steadily grown on me over the years. It’s true to say that it’s the least superficially impressive of Walker’s more well-known films in that it isn’t immediately exploitation-heavy in the way that ‘Frightmare’ and the McGillivray collaborations etc. might have been, but getting to know it is rewarding in the long run. Set against that earlier stuff, ‘The Comeback’ is a more considered, atmospheric work that still manages to make room for a bevy of nastiness, from the opening kill that freaked the hell out of me when I saw it on TV in the eighties, to mansion corridors that boom with witchy cackling, not to mention that maggoty head down the cellar. It might all go a bit scooby-do, but I liked the more supernatural / dream-like nods right up to the hastily delivered backstory at the end, and of course there is that trademark Walker feel of a grubby, down-at-heel England somehow reaching its last days. I’m certain he had more of these in him – shame this pretty much ended Walker’s run of gloriously bleak, cynical schlockers, but what’s there is plenty, QED ‘The Comeback’.

bleakshaun 22nd October 2020 04:48 PM

Hellbound Hellraiser II

After surviving the previous film, Kirsty finds herself in a psychiatric hospital, where coincidentally her doctor is fascinated in other dimensions. When a mute young girl opens the configuration; hell itself opens up and now kirsty must try and find her father.
Love it, simple as. Prefer the first film though.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...er_ii_ver2.jpg