Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 30th October 2020 05:56 PM

Thanks ill check a few supermarkets tomorrow but this is Irish supermarkets so its usually just spuds and Guinness

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th October 2020 07:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This years's 'kin. Not great, but once you've cut it then what can you do?

I wish i'd gone more intricate like the wolf i did a few years back. Still at least it looks fiery.

Susan Foreman 30th October 2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 638997)
This years's 'kin. Not great, but once you've cut it then what can you do?

I wish i'd gone more intricate like the wolf i did a few years back. Still at least it looks fiery.

With practice, your pumkpins will be as good as ours*

Bat Out Of Hell

Very lifelike image of the pet cat

Jody, the pig from 'The Amityville Horror'

* Not really ours!

trebor8273 30th October 2020 08:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q41OMxuMBTo
Day 29
I'll start by saying this is Russian film with subtitles but don't let that put you off. What we have is a effective little chiller, some comparisons could be made towards alien but it's more like a Quatermass story.

A Russian spacecraft crashes , one of the crew is dead and the other is badly injured , a female doctor / psychiatrist is called in by the military too evaluate the cosmonaut, we soon learn that a creature is living in the man and the doctor has to try and separate the two, but the base commander has other ideas for it.

Though not a lot of action and when there is it's bloody I was gripped from beginning to end, being set in Russian in 1983 at the height of the cold war added too the atmosphere. 8/10

Tonight's viewings

The wretched
Reborn

Dave Boy 30th October 2020 08:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Val Lewton double bill.
My favourites.

Attachment 229010
I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943)

Atmospheric voodoo horror.
The walk through the sugar canes at night is the highlight everyone talks about. Chilling scenes involving Miss Jessica walking around at night.
Just awesome!

Attachment 229011
ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945)

Another great atmospheric chiller.
Is the vorvolaka, a harmful creature in human form taking the lives of a group of people on a island cemetery, or is it the plague blowing on the wind from the battleground across the water?
Excellent!

iank 30th October 2020 08:41 PM

Halloween II. Michael Myers is still up and about and soon heads off to Haddonfield Memorial to have a second go at Laurie. Entertaining sequel with some good scares and Donald Pleasance on great badass form, though Curtis is rather wasted.

MrBarlow 30th October 2020 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lair Of The White Worm. 1988.

A archaeologist uncovers a skull at a dig on a farm, soon learns the old legend of the D'Ampton worm story, and that a strange cult worshipped a gint worm in the area and connect things to Lady Sylvia Marsh who has returned to her ancestral home at Temple woods.

For me this is one of those 80s films that hasn't seemed to age and gets better with every viewing even though Amanda Donohoe was a bit of a milf back then who likes to show off her body a lot in this film. Peter Capaldi plays the young Scottish archaeologist who uncovers the ancient skull and ruin. Hugh Grant plays the new Lord James D'Ampton who may live up to his name by slaying another beast, Catherine Oxenberg and Sammi Davis play the Trent sisters who parents disappeared and their cottage is on the land of a old convent.

Mixed with the vision of Bram Stoker's imagination of the story and Ken Russell's direction with the combination of the actors looking serious throughout the film and Grant's expression trying to act like a posh one does make it a bit of comedy than horror and the unforgettable D'ampton worm song.

Attachment 229012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8n6z-WRCd0

MrBarlow 30th October 2020 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Poltergeist. 1982.

A family are visited by ghosts that start being friendly then turn nasty and abducting the young daughter to another realm.

Filmed on the same set as E.T. and produced by Speilberg who hired Tobe Hooper to direct but still had control over what's what and how things should go still managed to pull off a decent haunted house film (IMO) :behindsofa:

Think some people actually hate or not very keen on it but it's a lot better than the sequels, the acting is done to it's best even with Zelda Rubenstein and her squeaky voice, only few things are daft is the plot that the ghosts abduct Carol-Ann and the BD release makes the flying objects look like they have been animated but at the time of this in 1982 was probably the new technology to do stuff back then, still a a classic.

Attachment 229024

Up next Halloween

Justin101 30th October 2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 639030)
Poltergeist. 1982.

A family are visited by ghosts that start being friendly then turn nasty and abducting the young daughter to another realm.

Filmed on the same set as E.T. and produced by Speilberg who hired Tobe Hooper to direct but still had control over what's what and how things should go still managed to pull off a decent haunted house film (IMO) :behindsofa:

Think some people actually hate or not very keen on it but it's a lot better than the sequels, the acting is done to it's best even with Zelda Rubenstein and her squeaky voice, only few things are daft is the plot that the ghosts abduct Carol-Ann and the BD release makes the flying objects look like they have been animated but at the time of this in 1982 was probably the new technology to do stuff back then, still a a classic.

Attachment 229024

Up next Halloween

I used to enjoy Poltergeist in my younger days and a couple of years ago I was telling my flatmate how good it was and we decided to watch it, bear in mind that it was probably around 4pm on a Saturday afternoon and we both fell asleep on the couch about an hour into it :lol: I've not gone back to it since...

Justin101 30th October 2020 11:14 PM

Halloween (2007)

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:s...3b1.jpg?mw=600

So it might not be subtle and it certainly has no suspense, like John Carpenter's 1978 original, but I still found this version pretty scary; Michael Myers is intimidating here.

I probably could have done without the back-story with the abusive step-dad and mom the stripper but I started to warm to it and it felt like it paid off later in the film, especially the relationship between Michael and Dr Loomis.

I'm also going to hold my hands up here, I totally fell for the fake-out ending, little did I know there was another 15 mins or so to go, but that actual ending, that was effective...

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't hate it, this film has an unfair bad rep I think. I enjoyed it quite a lot actually!