Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2021, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Resident Evil: Afterlife. 2010.

Alice continues her journey to destroy Umbrella and finds survivors holded up in a prison looking for the same place she is Arcadia.

I remembered this got premiered on one of the movie channel and was shown constantly through out the day, think I watched it about two or three times just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Resident Evil 4 came out in 2005 and i'm sure the guys with sacks over their head had chainsaws not hammers or did I miss something in the game? Shawn Roberts plays Wesker and bit more realistic in this and close to looking like from the game, but this seemed to rely on more CGI than the previous films, it does have a good soundtrack.

afterlife.jpg
Old 5th October 2021, 09:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Blair Witch (2016)

A distinctly average retread of the original Blair Witch Project. Director Adam Wingard basically failed to take in what made the first film a success - things that go bump in the night - bigger is not always better, Adam - and despite a lot more time frantically running round the supposed witch house, (which now appears the size of a blooming mansion) the film continues to annoy the shit out of me, especially as it ends exactly the same as The Blair Witch Project did.

Pumpkinhead (1988)

Stan Winston's terrific morality tale of a demon resurrected from hell by a witch to carry out vengeance is a horror classic that is often overlooked when it comes to 80's horror. Supremely atmospheric with fairytale like qualities and one of the greatest creature designs ever, Pumpkinhead is must see October viewing.
I have no interest in the Blair Witch update but your reviews have got me planning the original in the next few days. It's a film the missus and I saw in the cinema and during it we were both a little underwhelmed. However driving home that night it left a creepy feeling that didn't shake easy.
Pumpkinhead is one I haven't seen in years and always forget I even own. A rewatch is well overdue on both counts.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2021, 10:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Resident Evil: Retribution. 2012.

Alice wakes up in Umbrella corporation facility that simulates outbreaks of the T-Virus using clones of her. She is found by Ada Wong who works for Wesker and tells her they are no longer part of Umbrella, with a team sent to rescue them, they are pursued by Jill Valentine who is controlled by the Red Queen.

Another Chapter in the R.E franchise that I wasn't keen on but after re-watching it, think this one will grow on me, Michelle Rodriguez, Oded Fehr, Colin Salmon and Sienna Guillory reprise their roles from the first two movies except Red Queen controls them and Kevin Durand and Johann Urb star as Barry and Leon. This was action pact end explosive but finally we see a zombie with a chainsaw. Nice background score by Tomandandy who did the score for the previous entry.

550x783.jpg
Old 6th October 2021, 12:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Resident Evil. The Final Chapter. 2016.

Alice returns to Raccoon City for one final fight and save the population after she is told there may be a cure,

What a way to end a franchise, just when you think it's over and you are given a curve ball and no plans to make another follow up yet what we may get is a prequel and story behind the mansion. Watching these films back to back I can say they will be watched again I have enjoyed these better now than I did before. The acting, direction and cinematography just gets better and better.

RE6.jpg
Old 6th October 2021, 10:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HALLOWEEN HORROR BINGE ROUNDUP #2

3/10/21

THE CHURCH – Soavi breathes life into the lungs of moribund Italian gothed-up horror one last time with ‘The Church’, an icon-heavy tour de force of demon shagging fully invested with the sepulchral majesty that only a candle-lit cathedral with a massive crypt can supply. That said, the weirdest bit is when a kid starts playing the trombone for no discernible reason.

IT FOLLOWS – A VD phantasm will stop at nothing to do bad things to the lads and lasses in this superlative supernatural coming-of-age flick. Kind of like Larry Clark meets Gregory Crewdson, ‘It Follows’ wallows in an atmosphere of melancholy that feels as autumnal and adrift as the final suburbs of adolescence. I never tire of this dreamy, nightmarish, superb film.

4/10/21

TENEBRAE – Murder baroque with Argento’s stylistic ad absurdum, which veers from swish camera moves to red stiletto shoes with a bit of stumpy arterial spray thrown in. I must say I’m quite enjoying revisiting these old chestnuts. The best bit is that minutes-long glide over the tiles on a roof – how did the man get away with it?

THE HUNGER – The longest Chanel advert ever made by eighties goths. Diaphanous curtains billow through the haze as slow-motion doves lose their feathers and it’s all so symbolic… etc. Only ever as deep as a music video, but it’s flooded with such glacial, eerie ambience that I love it. It’s not all snakebite and black, though – Bela Lugosi’s dead.

5/10/21

BLOODY NEW YEAR – Walks the tightrope between ‘ineffectual’ and ‘bizarre’, then thankfully plumets into the latter territory and becomes a sad Butlins-based 80s UK ‘Evil Dead’ rip-off. There’s some stuff in the background about a timewarp, plus an undead pilot who at some point explodes for no reason at all. And check out that good time rock ‘n’ roll.
Old 6th October 2021, 04:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchtrap. 1989.

A team of parapsychologists a team three man security team investigate a so called haunted house.

Daft 80s cheese fest yet it's still enjoyable, the script might not be the greatest but when you see Linnea Quigley in her glory certainly makes the film worth while to watch. This is one of those films that when released did the Kevin Tenney intend for it to be a pure horror or just a somewhat comical horror it is now, make-up and practical effects are still holding up good.

p51728_p_v8_aa.jpg

I'm gonna make a start on Nightmare On Elm St films
Old 6th October 2021, 04:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Salem's Lot (1979, Tobe Hooper)

Hutch finds more than street punks are threatening his hometown on his return.
Never really noticed Mason's reticence during "the first half" (yes, it's the whole thing ahem) but it was a small thing. Watching it from a foot away led to some squeaking from this demon ahem.
Still works. Burn the Rob Lowe one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 6th October 2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 6th October 2021, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HALLOWEEN HORROR BINGE ROUNDUP #2

3/10/21

THE CHURCH – Soavi breathes life into the lungs of moribund Italian gothed-up horror one last time with ‘The Church’, an icon-heavy tour de force of demon shagging fully invested with the sepulchral majesty that only a candle-lit cathedral with a massive crypt can supply. That said, the weirdest bit is when a kid starts playing the trombone for no discernible reason.

IT FOLLOWS – A VD phantasm will stop at nothing to do bad things to the lads and lasses in this superlative supernatural coming-of-age flick. Kind of like Larry Clark meets Gregory Crewdson, ‘It Follows’ wallows in an atmosphere of melancholy that feels as autumnal and adrift as the final suburbs of adolescence. I never tire of this dreamy, nightmarish, superb film.

4/10/21

TENEBRAE – Murder baroque with Argento’s stylistic ad absurdum, which veers from swish camera moves to red stiletto shoes with a bit of stumpy arterial spray thrown in. I must say I’m quite enjoying revisiting these old chestnuts. The best bit is that minutes-long glide over the tiles on a roof – how did the man get away with it?

THE HUNGER – The longest Chanel advert ever made by eighties goths. Diaphanous curtains billow through the haze as slow-motion doves lose their feathers and it’s all so symbolic… etc. Only ever as deep as a music video, but it’s flooded with such glacial, eerie ambience that I love it. It’s not all snakebite and black, though – Bela Lugosi’s dead.

5/10/21

BLOODY NEW YEAR – Walks the tightrope between ‘ineffectual’ and ‘bizarre’, then thankfully plumets into the latter territory and becomes a sad Butlins-based 80s UK ‘Evil Dead’ rip-off. There’s some stuff in the background about a timewarp, plus an undead pilot who at some point explodes for no reason at all. And check out that good time rock ‘n’ roll.

Sir, I applaud thee
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2021, 05:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Salem's Lot (1979, tobe Hooper)

Hutch finds more than street punks are threatening his hometown on his return.
Never really noticed Mason's reticence during "the first half" (yes, it's the whole thing ahem) but it was a small thing. Watching it from a foot away led to some squeaking from this demon ahem.
Still works. Burn the Rob Lowe one.
I kinda like the 2004 version, but as usual that is getting another remake along with The Tommyknockers.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 6th October 2021, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A enjoyable piece of 80s cheese about a woman whom becomes terrorised by a evil spirit after using a Ouija board and those around her meet terrible and bloody end. Some good gore and kills the acting might not be the best but it's a easy 90 minutes.

A small town including a woman ,her son and a a baby is terrorised by a family of cannibals who as killing and eating those they come across are still baby's to add too there clan. The acting and direction might not be the best but everyone tries their best and it's very gory and violent , if the woman is supposed too be even more violent it will take some doing!

Now watching

Like this? Share it using the links below!