Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2014, 01:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

[6] Savage Water
Savage Water, for a time, seemed like the holy grail of bad slasher films. I had been failing miserably to track it down for so long, until Vinegar Syndrome came to my rescue. But even that release got pulled. Luckily I was still able to gain one of those copies. I was actually hugely surprised at how well it starts; the film conveys a genuine awe and respect of the environment evocative of Deliverance. Sadly from the introduction of the tourists the film becomes a mess of stereotypes, clichés, horrific acting, inane dialogue, eventually culminating in the worst death scenes, all of which destroy any kind of headway the film was making. You can’t help wondering if the slasher elements were tacked on at the last minute for commercial reasons. I’m glad I got to see it, and it didn’t disappoint, it’s just as horrible as its reputation suggests.

[7] Death By Invitation
This was a genuine surprise. It doesn’t seem to have many fans, has a pretty low rating at many an aggregate based site, I would never have gone out of my way to watch this had it not been included as part of a double feature on a DVD with Savage Water. What a gem it is, overflowing with atmosphere, featuring a hugely captivating opening that deliriously pulsates throughout. It’s clearly a low budget production, but they manage to accentuate what they have. There are some poor performances, but Shelby Leverington is chillingly compulsive viewing. It’s one of those cult 70s gems whose worth has been masked by those looking for cheap thrills and scares, overlooking this slow burning psychedelic potboiler.

[8] The Initiation Of Sarah
I’ve found myself in recent years checking out a lot of made for TV movies from the late 70s and early 80s. There are some really interesting finds, so when Scream Factory announced a double pack, I was hopeful it could lead to more, sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case. It’s not all bad news though, both of the films are interesting, and well worth watching. The Initiation Of Sarah is very clearly Carrie inspired, a little obvious and ever so slightly twee at times, but features some great performances, from those established like Shelley Winters, to those who would go on to find success later, like Morgan Fairchild. It’s the performances that hold your attention, but the hokey plot and theatrics are really enjoyable.

[9] Are You In The House Alone?
The poster for Are You In The House Alone gives a false impression, suggesting something along the lines of When A Stranger Calls, or Don’t Answer The Phone. It’s a far more subdued drama, which does venture into rape territory. However, the attitudes to rape at the time are far more shocking than anything else on display in the film. It’s well made, with endearing characters (Kathleen Beller’s wide-eyed performance in particular is empathetic), and very watchable. It’s interesting to see a young Dennis Quaid and the type of role he played this early in his career.
Old 10th October 2014, 04:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post

Does anyone care to list all of the Halloween themed horror films you can think of? These are a few the top of my head:
In addition to the ones i listed earlier i've just picked up Wrong Turn 5 as this is also set on Halloween.
Old 10th October 2014, 10:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Nice write ups BAKA! I wonder if Savage Water will ever see the light of day? I regret not being able to get my hands on that one when it was still sort of in limbo. I had a fun time with Scream Factory's TV Terrors set as well. Shame it wasn't a good seller. There are loads of quality made for tv horror films out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Pumpkinhead aka Vengeance the Demon (1988) - also a Halloween fave with me, even though i'm not entirely sure it's set around Halloween, although it features ripe pumpkins so it must be i suppose.
Good call, this is sort of the perfect combination of Halloween atmosphere. It has witches, graveyards and a monster. I used to have a huge bust of Pumpkinhead about 8 years ago. Here's an old pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full collection 027 small.jpg (62.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th October 2014, 06:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

10th. The Others

This elegant, gothic, supernatural horror film is simply marvelous. More than just a generic ghost story, it really exceeds at infusing the dramatic human dynamic with scenes of chilling uneasiness. The foggy exteriors certainly contribute to the overall atmosphere of the film which is one of loneliness and dread. Wonderful piece of celluloid.

Hauntedween is another Halloween themed horror that was actually filmed in a city that I used to live in.
Old 11th October 2014, 11:43 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
My viewing so far has been.

1st - Hallowed Ground
2nd - Happy Hell Night
3rd - Corridors of Blood
4th - Madison County
5th - Prophecy
6th - Samhain / Isle of the Dead
7th - Devils of Darkness
8th - Witchcraft
9th - Halloween Resurrection / Frankenstein meets the Wolfman
10th - The Seventh Sign
Old 12th October 2014, 01:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just thought of another Halloween film, Bill Hinzman's FleshEater.
Old 12th October 2014, 04:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

11. Beyond The Door

Let's get this out of the way, I love knock off imitations of The Exorcist. Often times they forego the story for sleazy scenes of possession and my heart flutters. While Beyond The Door might not exhibit that entirely you can't deny that it has wonderful scenes with Juliet Mills in full demon mode. The scene in the children's bedroom (you'll know if you've seen it) is a thing of special effects beauty. Foul mouth children, some excellent set pieces and spinning heads. What more could you possibly want out of an exploitative possession film?
Old 13th October 2014, 05:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

12. Cheerleader Camp

Fairly mediocre slasher/comedy effort with an attractive female cast. Not terrible but not very good either. The less said about this film the better.
Old 14th October 2014, 05:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

13. The Night Of The Hunter

Thanks to BAKA'S earlier mention of this (I'll find any excuse to watch this film) I decided to add it to my Halloween film list. I really can't verbalize any more eloquently than what BAKA has already said but I find the lush B&W photography hypnotic. The brief scene when Harry first shows up to the children's home at night is extremely unnerving. Beautiful pace, marvelous cast, and a rich, textured plot make for an incredible film.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
My viewing so far has been.

1st - Hallowed Ground
2nd - Happy Hell Night
3rd - Corridors of Blood
4th - Madison County
5th - Prophecy
6th - Samhain / Isle of the Dead
7th - Devils of Darkness
8th - Witchcraft
9th - Halloween Resurrection / Frankenstein meets the Wolfman
10th - The Seventh Sign
11th - The Haunting of Bates Motel / The Fog
12th - Black Swan
13th - Idle Hands / The Old Dark House (with Newman / Jones chat track)

Like this? Share it using the links below!