Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

J Harker 13th October 2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 661169)
Just finished the Lighthouse i need to recover mentally and emotionally before i review this [emoji38]

I look forward to your thoughts Nord.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 661195)
I look forward to your thoughts Nord.

I've seen The Lighthouse twice now and whilst the second time wasn't as bad as the first it remains a crushing disappointment after the excellence of The Witch.

J Harker 13th October 2021 10:19 AM

Oh it's a load of old arsefodder. I just wondered what Nordy will think.

Nordicdusk 13th October 2021 03:03 PM

Robert Pattinson having sex with a Mermaid and William Defoe wanking how can you not like it :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2021 03:55 PM

October 12th

2 Attachment(s)
Hellraiser III Hell on Earth (1992)

Deep Space 9's Terry Farrell takes the lead in this third film in the series (Sigh: definitely reason enough for me to enjoy this film)

Whilst not as good as the first two films in the series, Hell on Earth is still an enjoyable watch. The ante has been upped when it comes to action sequences with a couple of terrific set pieces in a night club and on the streets of New York. It takes a while to see Pinhead but there's gore galore throughout including a young woman losing all her skin to the devilish chains that haunt this inspired series of films.

Despite Pinhead taking a while to show up in the flesh so to speak, this film gives Doug Bradley more screen time than any of the first two films and he makes the most of it with a fine performance that is both arch villain and blackly comedic too.

Don't Let Them In (2020)

After watching this for the first time last year i was eager to see if it stood up second time around and it does. Its a British low budgeter about a couple of social workers who on Halloween visit an old hotel to see their client recently released from prison on a charge of child murder.

This takes it's time to set the scene but the acting and dialogue is good. I suppose those who want to bracket a movie will say it's Purge like but for me Ben Wheatley's Kill List is as much of a reference point in the way the plot twists and turns and basically morphs into a totally different movie about ritualistic murder during the final twenty minutes.

As a movie from a first time director it's remarkably competent and will become a regular Halloween / October viewing.

Demoncrat 13th October 2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 661144)
HALLOWEEN HORROR BINGE ROUNDUP #4

9/10/21

HAPPY HELL NIGHT – A mess of non sequiturs, cliches and the awfulness that only stillborn nineties horror can provide, ‘Happy Hell Night’ is fast becoming one of my favourite rubbish late slashers. It’s just bafflingly entertaining, even on my third go with it. An evil priest / Freddy K surrogate with an impressively gaunt face delivers nonsense one liners as college kids party and try to solve the mystery of what happened on ‘hell night’ all those years ago… inspired tripe.

MACABRE – Lamberto Bava, who would offer the ultimate in wham-bam horror a few years later in the form of ‘Demons’, is on subdued form with this simmering tale of obsessive love from beyond the grave. In some ways uneventful between its first and final reels, and clearly grasping for Hitchcockian suspense, ‘Macabre’ succeeds because of its strained, off-key atmosphere, the casual malice of its little psychopath, and the final flight into gonzo supernaturalism. Weird and absorbing.

10/10/21

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET – With a stature that’s hard to deny, I don’t think ‘A Nightmare On Elm Street’ is looking for any converts these days. I suppose repeated viewings over the years have deadened my eyes to it a little, although when I see it now I’m more taken with the quieter bits, the low-key dreamy wanderings, the menace and melancholy of the suburbs in the shadow of the razor glove. I guess it goes back to ‘Halloween’; even before ‘Scream’, Craven was into his quotes. Always nice to see John Saxon doing his thing.

SHOCK WAVES – I don’t revisit this spooky underwater nazi zombie flick nearly as often as I should. It’s always somehow quite pleasing to see ‘names’, including in this case John Carradine, Peter Cushing and Brooke Adams, caught beneath the grain of a 16mm production, but he real star of ‘Shock Waves’ is its ambience. It’s there in the long shadows of its ruined hotel, in the shots of zombies prowling scummy, derelict swimming pools, and above all in the wailing, groaning synth score.

11/10/21

THROUGH THE FIRE – The mystery surrounding an ancient pendant gives rise to a very eighties mix of dull chases and bad special effects. Although its recent emergence after decades of obscurity is not likely set the indie-horror world alight, there were a few things about ‘Through The Fire’ that hooked me in, mostly the graininess, the aura of moderate incompetence, the occasional awful attempts to emulate the sort of fx that might be seen in eg ‘Poltergeist’ or some other big budget studio affair. A bit slight, but in the end I quite liked.

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Must pull me finger out and get something watched. You put me to shame FT :nod::pop2:

MrBarlow 13th October 2021 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Monster. 1975.

A woman gives birth to a baby that may be possessed by the devil.

This was first titled as "Sharon's Baby" which may be a British knock off from Rosemary's Baby, I thought it was only the Italians that did knock off's from movies that were made in America...who knew. Joan Collins plays the new mother Lucy...yup her name was not Sharon and her husband Gino played by Ralph Bates who are the feeling something isn't right with their new son.

Donald Pleasance plays the family doctor who believes in medicine practice than spiritual practice and seems to have a verbal ping pong with Gino's nun sister Eileen Atkins and think we would agree he won't make a great nun. There is a small appearance by Caroline Munroe although she should have had a bigger part and John Steiner as the exoctic dancer theatre owner.

I'm not saying this film is perfect, the acting is a bit off in some places, Peter Sasdy did try to create a dark tone atmospheric film and didn't quite get there but the tension is built up slowly. The Network blu-ray is the best quality I have seen of the film, the picture quality is a bit sharper and the sound isn't as bad as the old VHS era and crap uploads that have surfaced online.

Attachment 236880

bleakshaun 13th October 2021 06:43 PM

Dream No Evil

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%29_poster.jpg

Interesting ideas, I felt it dragged for a good length of time however. I'm gonna be honest probably not one I intend to rewatch.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th October 2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661170)
Flesh Eater. 1988.

A group of teens on a hayride into the woods try and survive when a farmer uncovers a coffin with a zombie buried under a tree.

Bill Hinzmann who played the lead zombie in Night Of The Living dead decided to create his own Zombie horror flick and gave us this. Yeah it does have its faults with the acting from the teens, the sheriff trying to be like John Wayne, the dispatcher who really can't be bothered and the group of hunters can have really crappy aiming, but it does come with it's good gore fest and decent make-up effects. As bad as it does sound it is entertaining.

Attachment 236858

It;s Z Grade class!

Although I did prefer the Vipco Zombie Nosh title!

High time I rewatched this on BD.

Nordicdusk 13th October 2021 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 7

Attachment 236883

On a remote rock off the coast of New England a lighthouse keeper and his new assistant land at the start of a 4 week stint to take care of the lighthouse. Thomas Howard and Thomas Wake we shall call them Tom (Dafoe) and Tommy (Pattison). Tom is an old sea dog and Tommy is just a young buck bouncing from job to job trying to build a future for himself. The two take it in shifts Tom sleeps by day and looks after the light at night and Tommy sleeps nights and acts like a housewife during the day cleaning shovelling coal washing floors but never ever allowed near the light. The two men have a rocky relationship right from the get go but tensions soften when the booze starts to flow but the good times are short lived when the booze that once helps pass the time starts to consume the two men and their minds.

This is definitely not a film i could review straight away it takes time to sink in i felt a little battered after watching it so i had to wait for the fog of madness to clear and let me think straight. The acting is brilliant especially Willem Dafoe steal the show even if it is just a two man show but anyway :lol:. I could of done without seeing him naked or seeing his jizz dripping through the floor of the lighthouse but he was very convincing i know people who have spent their whole lives at sea and just in their eyes you can tell they have seen things they have that gaze people that return from war have and Willem Dafoe had this look about him. The look of the film is fantastic the black and white and the aspect ratio adds to the feeling of loneliness and claustrophobia the constant sound of the fog horn is extremely haunting it's like there is something hiding past the waves and deep in the fog.

The whole film feels like a night out with people you are meeting for the first time firstly its awkward and people are shy and reserved making awkward conversations trying to find common ground to get things moving a bit smoother. Then the alcohol kicks in and the fun times start to roll everyone is best friends people laugh at everyone's stories it feels like it going real smooth until the shots start to pour and everyone thinks they are Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers but in reality everyone is David Brent. The next step in the night is when it starts to get messy and you find people attractive who you don't actually find attractive and just when you think your night cant get any worse you wake up and your soul is hovering over your body telling you how disgusting you are and it stands there judging you all day letting you think your going to die until it sees you have suffered enough and life is good again.

Maybe i'm reading too much into this and really it's a shit film but im in an arty mood and want to appear deep and reflective like a true artist :lol:

I did really enjoy this great performances great imagery but i did feel it was a little overly long. Its hard not to watch this without thinking about The VVitch but its unfair on the Lighthouse because The VVitch is a masterpiece in my eyes and this was never going to live up to that.

As someone who has an obsession with the sea ever since i was a kid i was really looking forward to this i have always and still do find lighthouses both beautiful and haunting. The sea itself its beautiful to look at but its so unforgiving not only its the unknown of what's underneath but the many lives that it has taken. She keeps luring you back over and over again.

7/10

I think this needed longer to sink in because obviously the fog of madness is still clouding my judgement feels like im speaking in tongues with this review :lol: