Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2021, 09:34 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I have a rollercoaster type relationship with Land... I don't always love it, last time I watched it I really did though, but I have had times when it wasn't doing it for me, I think when you watch it in isolation it is a better film, when you watch them back to back it's too tonally different it stands out.

Day... It's my favourite though.
Day is my fave as well but i've seen Land far more times as it's fun to watch and i love it as comfort viewing.

It's eight years since Shout put out a blu of Day. About time we had an updated release. After all Arrow have put out 27 versions of Battle Royale in that time.
Justin101 and MacBlayne like this.
Old 14th October 2021, 09:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Slaughterhouse Rock. 1987

Friends start to have dreams that are related to Alcatraz Prison and decide to visit there, when one of their group becomes possessed they are helped by a ghost of a female singer who died there to slay the demon.

First time watching this yet it made no real sense or did I miss something? How is one or others having the weird dreams centering around Alcatraz, Dont get me wrong the make up effects were done but the acting is not great and a bit of a thin plot, maybe a re-watch will happen.

Attachment 236905
An awful, awful film. Got rid of my 88 Films dvd soon after watching.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Anyone who loves the 2018 **** up that was Blumhouse' Halloween should probably look away now!
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 13th

Halloween (2018)

A derivative whatever you want to call it that fails to acknowledge any of the Halloween sequels whilst ripping them all off at the same time. A film seemingly without an original idea of it's own.

Tell me if you've seen any of these scenes before?

Michael Myers gets visitors whilst in the asylum - Rob Zombie's Halloween

Student looks out of window of class and sees weird figure on the lawns - Halloween

The bus transporting Myers to another loony bin crashes and Michael escapes - Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers

Myers kills the mechanics at a roadside gas station - Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers

A woman is trapped alone in a roadside lavatory as Myers stalks her - Halloween H20

One character is a cool guy in a cowboy hat and boots - Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers

A woman is murdered in her kitchen on Halloween night - Halloween II

A character in a bedroom is hidden under a sheet with eyeholes cut out - Halloween

There's a new Loomis type doctor hunting Myers - Halloween and also II, 4, 5 and 6 To be fair someone says to him "You're the new Loomis then?"

New Loomis drives round Haddonfield on Halloween night with the local sheriff - Halloween, Halloween II

A seemingly trust worthy doctor goes rogue with other ideas for Myers - Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers

Plus there are a couple of role reversals from the original Halloween

Loomis searching for Myers with emphasis on a wardrobe and Myers sends Jamie Lee Curtis tumbling off a first floor balcony

Meanwhile the writers had obviously decided Jamie Lee should become a gun toting Sarah Connor with an arsenal of arms in her basement. Was Linda Hamilton unavailable? And whoever cast screachy Judy Greer must have been out of their mind.

And that's before we even start on Halloween Woke.

The only good thing about Halloween (2018) was the soundtrack by John Carpenter.

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

Despite being at odds with the earlier Hammer Dracula films continuity wise, Alan Gibson's film brings the famed vampire and arch nemesis Van Helsing kicking and screaming into contemporary London.

Featuring bloody black masses and groovy sounds this is a product of it's time but it does feature the best showdown between Christopher Lee's Dracula and Peter Cushing's Van Helsing in a frantic finale.

I do love how the eminent expert on all things Dracula and the Occult needs to do a line diagram to figure out that Alucard is Dracula spelled back to front.

I really need to compose a proper review for this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h_t.jpg (30.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (34.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th October 2021, 10:45 AM
Cult Veteran

I wouldn't say I 'Love' Halloween 2018, but I do like it, I like the homage to the previous films (rather than rip-offs ) I don't mind any of those things you listed at all!

Dracula AD 72 I do like that one as well, I get mixed up though, is that the Joanna Lumley one, or is that Satanic...? I enjoy both of those contemporary London ones. They're fun
Frankie Teardrop and MrBarlow like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2021, 10:51 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Halloween (2018)

A derivative whatever you want to call it that fails to acknowledge any of the Halloween sequels whilst ripping them all off at the same time. A film seemingly without an original idea of it's own.

Tell me if you've seen any of these scenes before?

Michael Myers gets visitors whilst in the asylum - Rob Zombie's Halloween

Student looks out of window of class and sees weird figure on the lawns - Halloween

The bus transporting Myers to another loony bin crashes and Michael escapes - Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers

Myers kills the mechanics at a roadside gas station - Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers

A woman is trapped alone in a roadside lavatory as Myers stalks her - Halloween H20

One character is a cool guy in a cowboy hat and boots - Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers

A woman is murdered in her kitchen on Halloween night - Halloween II

A character in a bedroom is hidden under a sheet with eyeholes cut out - Halloween

There's a new Loomis type doctor hunting Myers - Halloween and also II, 4, 5 and 6 To be fair someone says to him "You're the new Loomis then?"

New Loomis drives round Haddonfield on Halloween night with the local sheriff - Halloween, Halloween II

A seemingly trust worthy doctor goes rogue with other ideas for Myers - Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers

Plus there are a couple of role reversals from the original Halloween

Loomis searching for Myers with emphasis on a wardrobe and Myers sends Jamie Lee Curtis tumbling off a first floor balcony

Meanwhile the writers had obviously decided Jamie Lee should become a gun toting Sarah Connor with an arsenal of arms in her basement. Was Linda Hamilton unavailable? And whoever cast screachy Judy Greer must have been out of their mind.

And that's before we even start on Halloween Woke.

The only good thing about Halloween (2018) was the soundtrack by John Carpenter
If that's what you think about the 2018 film, from what I overheard Biffo telling Algernon in CEX yesterday...you are absolutely gonna hate 'Halloween Kills'!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th October 2021, 11:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Halloween (2018)

I thought I was mad when I didn't like this. The overwhelming praise it got stunned me.

I don't think it was awful, but I was bored for a lot of it, and thought H20 did a better job. Yeah, the teenage romance stuff was underbaked, but at least H20 wasn't a sprawling mess like Halloween Again.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:09 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I thought I was mad when I didn't like this. The overwhelming praise it got stunned me.

I don't think it was awful, but I was bored for a lot of it, and thought H20 did a better job. Yeah, the teenage romance stuff was underbaked, but at least H20 wasn't a sprawling mess like Halloween Again.
I Love H20 my plan is H20 on Sat 30th and Halloween 3 on Sun 31st
I love that bit in H20 where Laurie Strode downs the glass of wine and the waiter is like "wtf??" haha

Reminds me of this Jamie Lee Curtis meme which was doing the rounds a few years ago haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2021, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Subspecies. 1991.

Three American students in Romania are caught between two vampire brothers.

From producer Charles Band and Full Moon this was a decent entry into the Romanian Vampire saga, we start off with a cameo by Angus Scrimm who the producers tried to make him look like Brian May or Bea Arthur.

Anders Hove plays the exiled vampire son Ragu...sorry Radu who wants his birth right in the form of a bloodstone that looks like a cake with a strawberry on top and has long fingernails like Nosferatu, the make up creations are quite good even for the stop-motion little finger devils. Irina Movila, Laura Mae Tate, Michelle McBride play the three students who Radu feels attracted to one of them.

Filmed entirely in Romania after the fall of communism, this is a perfect setting for a vampire flick that has the Gothic theme behind it all and the castle is a place not to go wondering around in. This doesn't really rely on gore but more atmosphere that gives it its eerie feeling.

subspecies_1991.jpg

Now onto the second movie.
Old 14th October 2021, 07:02 PM
Cult Addict

Dark August

A very slow burner I felt. Some creepy elements scattered throughout. I did think it was going to go a different way near the end but didn't really expect it to end how it did.

Like this? Share it using the links below!