Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 661462)
That was quite clever because it was the same character though.

Sounds like just another scene they ripped off to me. Plagiarism isn't clever.

Nordicdusk 15th October 2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 661462)
That was quite clever because it was the same character though.

Throw backs are good but not the exact same thing i didnt like that. Am i forgetting something about Halloween 2018 buy why on Halloween night is the mother wearing an Xmas jumper?

MrBarlow 15th October 2021 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cry Of The Banshee. 1970.

In 1500 England a cruel magistrate who tortures innocent villagers for his pleasures runs foul of a witch.

Vincent Price stars as another witch hunter although here he doesn't believe in witches and seems to have a fetish for his torturing methods and again excels in his role as the tyrant. I have a vague memory of seeing this back in the early 90s and can't remember much about it and seeing it now this has a chilling and sinister atmosphere around it, perfect cinematography and well acted. The sets and costumes are well crafted and made to look like a medieval time period that makes it feel authentic.

Attachment 236973

MrBarlow 16th October 2021 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Blancheville Monster. 1963.

A daughter of a crazed count believes she will fall victim to a family curse of being sacrificed.

To be honest this film doesn't rely on the scare tactics that usually come with horror from Ital, if I said you would be scared then I probably would be hunted down. This relies on the dark Gothic atmosphere surrounding the castle and a dark family secret. Yeah I did feel the pace was a bit of a slow burner but did pay off for the finale, this is one I definitely need to be in the mood to watch again.

Attachment 236974

MrBarlow 16th October 2021 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flight Of The Living dead. 2007.

A scientist transferring a dead body on a plane to Paris is re-animated and a zombie outbreak happens.

Technically this film sounded crap and may look like a comedy and really shouldn't work but it does, there is some tongue in cheek humour and no holds barred anything can and does happen. There are a few known stars from Eric Avari, Dale Midkiff, Kevin J. O'Connor and Raymond J. Barry. The special make-up effects are spot on that would make Fulci proud. Entertaining.

Attachment 236975

Have a good day all :rockon:

Justin101 16th October 2021 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 661465)
Throw backs are good but not the exact same thing i didnt like that. Am i forgetting something about Halloween 2018 buy why on Halloween night is the mother wearing an Xmas jumper?

I thought the same thing, I didn't really notice until the end of the film when she was looking out of the window and I was thinking why the f does her jumper have Christmas trees on it!

Frankie Teardrop 16th October 2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661406)
Think i'll go get my amulet from this film, surround it with candles and see if i can invoke some nunsploitation when i give it a rewatch.

One i used to own on vhs as well as that rather sexy NoShame box set.

@Frankie - You should really try and see Don't Let Them In. I bet it's so down your street your bins are outside.

Same goes for the wonderfully original Hellions.

Thanks for the heads-up re 'Don't Let Them In', think I'll give it a whirl.

Already a big fan of 'Hellions'.

I'm always moaning about this, but I can find far fewer good, weird indie / microbudget horror films out there these days, whereas ten years ago there seemed to be a glut of that kind of thing. I suppose streaming has a lot to answer for - maybe all the stuff that would have been there on DVD back in the day is tucked away on Prime or some place I can't be bothered to explore fully. It could also be that the explosion of found footage stuff and emulation of 'jump scare' approaches that worked in the mainstream have turned a lot of indie to drivel. Looking at my shelf, three quarters of it is plush 70s/80s/90s blu ray re-releases - nice, but a bit sad considering reviewing new obscure stuff used to be my mainstay. So, to cut a long story short, yeah any recommendations along the lines of the films you mentioned are always welcome.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 661476)
Thanks for the heads-up re 'Don't Let Them In', think I'll give it a whirl.

Already a big fan of 'Hellions'.

I'm always moaning about this, but I can find far fewer good, weird indie / microbudget horror films out there these days, whereas ten years ago there seemed to be a glut of that kind of thing. I suppose streaming has a lot to answer for - maybe all the stuff that would have been there on DVD back in the day is tucked away on Prime or some place I can't be bothered to explore fully. It could also be that the explosion of found footage stuff and emulation of 'jump scare' approaches that worked in the mainstream have turned a lot of indie to drivel. Looking at my shelf, three quarters of it is plush 70s/80s/90s blu ray re-releases - nice, but a bit sad considering reviewing new obscure stuff used to be my mainstay. So, to cut a long story short, yeah any recommendations along the lines of the films you mentioned are always welcome.

A few low budget goodies i've enjoyed in the last 18 months have been (Some of these i listed elsewhere the other day)

The Reckoning
A Werewolf in England
The Owners
The Village in the Woods
Island Zero
Crone Wood
Prey
(If you like the films of Dick Maas)
Echoes of Fear (More a mystery than a horror)
Darlin'
The Boy (Although this is quite old, i only saw it recently)
Deep Blue Sea 3 (If you enjoy trashy shark films that aren't as OTT as the Sharknado ones)
The Ringmaster (A nice throwback to the days of torture porn)

And i've picked up The Ghosts of Borley Rectory and The 100 Candles Game from Asda this last two weeks as blind buys.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661467)
The Blancheville Monster. 1963.

A daughter of a crazed count believes she will fall victim to a family curse of being sacrificed.

To be honest this film doesn't rely on the scare tactics that usually come with horror from Ital, if I said you would be scared then I probably would be hunted down. This relies on the dark Gothic atmosphere surrounding the castle and a dark family secret. Yeah I did feel the pace was a bit of a slow burner but did pay off for the finale, this is one I definitely need to be in the mood to watch again.

Attachment 236974

I have this as a decent print on American dvd as Edgar Allan Poe's Haunted. I really like it. There's a beautifully done night time walk by Ombretta Colli which is deliciously Gothic in atmosphere.

Nordicdusk 16th October 2021 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 10


Attachment 236981


A group of people head to the woods to maybe find themselves or escape the real world or whatever im not quite sure. One by one they start to get picked off someone or something lurking in the trees.

This starts off the usual way a group of self entitled city folk show up in a small town laughing at their way of life and expect nothing bad to happen. They are warned to stay on the path but venture off it anyway and get lost surprise surprise. At the start i was getting a good feeling about this but as time went on that slipped away rapidly as it gets progressively worse and worse. I get they wanted to try something different for the reboot but it didn't work at all. The ending was bloody atrocious. One plus side was there was some decent practical effects.

3/10

Bring back the incest cannibal rednecks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.