Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 20th October 2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661850)
In comparison to what?

A version I saw online a few months back, I'm hoping it is just me or my tv is on the blink and I can finally get the 50" HD tv I always walk past when i go to Tesco's lol

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661852)
A version I saw online a few months back, I'm hoping it is just me or my tv is on the blink and I can finally get the 50" HD tv I always walk past when i go to Tesco's lol

Both the 101 and Shout releases are from a 4K print. What was the source of the one online?

Was it Youtube or Netflix?

MrBarlow 20th October 2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661853)
Both the 101 and Shout releases are from a 4K print. What was the source of the one online?

Was it Youtube or Netflix?

It was on Amazon Prime, Angie found it and asked what it was like and if it was any good.

MrBarlow 20th October 2021 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basket Case. 1982.

Duane Bradley carries a basket with him, inside is his deformed Siamese twin who seek revenge on those who separated them against their will.

This is certainly low budget movie yet still entertaining, even when Belial goes on a killing spree you can't help but laugh at the actors trying to be serious even with the make-up effects getting splattered over their faces. I hadn't seen this film in over 20 years and feel really bad that I have avoided it for so long, one film that's not to be taken seriously.

Attachment 237131

MrBarlow 21st October 2021 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Basket Case 2. 1990.

Duane and his brother Belial are taken to a home cared by other freaks and journalists trying to find them.

Something a bit different from the first, Duane and Belial survived their jump out the window from the first and are taken in by a sweet old lady Annie Ross and live with other deformed people. This was a bit more comedy horror and yes there is some splatter that seems more funnier than what it should be, but hey who says other deformed people and beings can't find love.

Attachment 237132

Have a good day all, y'all be good

Susan Foreman 21st October 2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661779)
Saw 3D. 2010.

I have mixed feelings about this one, Carey Elwes returns as Dr. Gordon who seems a bit unbalanced, not because he cut his foot off in the first but more mental state and we uncover why. Doing these back to back they have been entertaining and can see a somewhat of a connection with previous instalments but doesn't seem to be played out well or lack of explanation and a bit more of a body count and more blood, this seems to lack the tension or suspense.

After 'Saw VI', the original idea to was to continue with 'Saw VII' and 'Saw VIII' but the diminished box office returns for 'Saw VI' resulted in the next two installments being pared down into the resulting 'Saw 3D' - the final film in the original series

It seemed to me that when they had the editing scissors out and were removing all the 'needless' parts, they got rid of the plot and story and just incorporated two films worth of traps into one!

Frankie Teardrop 21st October 2021 03:44 PM

HALLOWEEN HORROR SPLURGE #8

18/10/21

THE DARK – The streets of LA are being held to ransom an evil alien giant – cops and the media have long conversations about it. ‘The Dark’ works because its slightly dry ‘investigation’ storyline is frequently disrupted by quirkiness – the strangeness of seventies California, odd characters, the occasional mad bit with laser eye blasting antagonist. And what about that blind guy who wanders in and out of scenes at random – is he meant to be metaphor for mankind? No lost classic, but I liked it.

19/10/21

POSSESSION – Simply one of the best horror films – it’s been too long since I last saw it, so it was a relief to find that its staggering oddity remains undiminished (and, considering it was made in 1980, unparalleled.) For the uninitiated, where to start? Hysterical yet detached, mannered yet berserk, it’s an expressionist breakup drama whose characters seem always on the verge of seizure, where identities slide in and out of focus, where doppelgangers thrive in the shadow of a blighted system. But I haven’t even told you about the randy octopus monster in the middle of all this arty profundity, a bizarre dollop of eighties fx that brings a touch of off-brand Lovecraft to the proceedings. There are other things you might not see coming, such as the fridge full of body parts and a sudden climactic mutation into Cold War spy actioner. All attempts at flippancy aside, Isabel Adjani is unbelievable here. I have never seen such a shocking performance in any other film; I could throw around words like ‘delirium’, ‘primal’ etc, but they would flutter away. ‘Possession’ is appropriately divisive, some people hate it / find it boring, but IMO it’s essential viewing.

20/10/21

CLOWN – A guy puts on a clown suit for his kid’s party and afterwards finds he can’t get out of it; it’s a nice one liner and an OK excuse for a horror film. Turns out that the clown suit is of demonic origin and exerts a malign transformative influence. Well, we could all see that coming. This time around, ‘Clown’ seemed to take a while to get going, and looked a bit plain. I tend to think of it as being in the shadow of more stylish / edgy films from around the time like ‘Tusk’ (which I really liked). But its black comedy hit the right notes, the demon clown was quite effective, and the I was still a little surprised by its pretty dark attitude to uh child sacrifice. Entertainingly sharp schlock with a nasty aftertaste.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2021 05:33 PM

October 20th

2 Attachment(s)
The Unholy (1988)

A religious horror about a young Father (Priest not actual father) who begins investigating earlier deaths of Priests in the same New Orleans church believed to be caused by a demonic force.

Although a little slow moving in the middle third i really like The Unholy. It treads the same path as The Exorcist and Stigmata in it's examination of the Catholic church and their methods both good and bad, even though it, plot wise, is very different.

One thing that stands out is the film's excellent cast. Ben Cross plays the investigating Priest alongside strong character actors such as Hal Holbrook, Ned Beatty and Trevor Howard, in his final film role. The script is classy and the production values equally good as are the icky special effects, even if the final demon is a bit eighties weird which i think is pretty cool, in fact the whole film has that cool eighties aesthetic entwined as it is with scenes of bloody gore, Occult practices, a sensuous succubus and of course burning crosses.

The Unholy is everything that 976-EVIL wasn't when it comes to 80's horror.

The Vestron UK Blu-ray looks and sounds very good and is loaded with extras.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Not a patch on the fourth installment. How could it be when it loses one of that films star performers - Ellie Cornell - in the first half an hour leaving us with Donald Pleasence's Loomis who might be more deranged than Myers. More of a run of the mill slasher with a loony finale than the haunting menace originally created by John Carpenter.

Justin101 21st October 2021 05:35 PM

A quick round up of the last few days.

Xtro (1982)

https://nutmusic.com/wp-content/uplo...iler-still.jpg

You don't see many films like this one... WTF, that birthing scene, I'm a little traumatised.

Pet Sematary 2 (1992)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...XoDtqKFs4d_hqA

Not even a patch on the original. In fact I was sure that I had seen this one before but I honestly didn't remember anything about it. It's not very good and takes ages to get anywhere, then all of a sudden there are maybe 4 re-animated bodies and people are getting dispatched quickly. Save yourself 100 minutes.

Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968)

https://forgottenfilmcast.files.word...monsters-3.png

First of a trilogy based on Japanese folklore and the creatures within the stories. In this one a greedy feudal landlord is entertaining his guests with the so called 100 ghost stories, a ritual so potent that you must perform a cleansing afterwards, only he laughs at this advice only for he and his men to be haunted by the 100 Yokai. Loads of fun, surprisingly funny, and as ever, sword fights and samurai! Loved it.

Scream (1996)

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d3703098...ukhmto_500.jpg

There are certain RULES that one must abide by in order to successfully survive a horror movie. For instance, number one: you can never have sex.

[crowd boos]

BIG NO NO! BIG NO NO! Sex equals death, okay? Number two: you can never drink or do drugs.

[crowd cheers and raises their bottles]

The sin factor! It's a sin. It's an extension of number one. And number three: never, ever, ever under any circumstances say, "I'll be right back." Because you won't be back.

Tales of Halloween (2015)

https://files.list.co.uk/images/2015...-lst181772.jpg

Loved this one, anthologies are often hit or miss, it all hinges on the ratio of good vs bad. This one has 10 short segments so the chances of most of them being good is high! This particular set has a very specific 'weird' tone which I vibe with. Also full of little easter eggs with characters from previous segments popping up in the background! Look out for cameos by Mick Garris, Stuart Gordon, Joe Dante, John Landis and, erm, Felissa Rose :D

MrBarlow 21st October 2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661883)
The Unholy (1988)

A religious horror about a young Father (Priest not actual father) who begins investigating earlier deaths of Priests in the same New Orleans church believed to be caused by a demonic force.

Although a little slow moving in the middle third i really like The Unholy. It treads the same path as The Exorcist and Stigmata in it's examination of the Catholic church and their methods both good and bad, even though it, plot wise, is very different.

One thing that stands out is the film's excellent cast. Ben Cross plays the investigating Priest alongside strong character actors such as Hal Holbrook, Ned Beatty and Trevor Howard, in his final film role. The script is classy and the production values equally good as are the icky special effects, even if the final demon is a bit eighties weird which i think is pretty cool, in fact the whole film has that cool eighties aesthetic entwined as it is with scenes of bloody gore, Occult practices, a sensuous succubus and of course burning crosses.

The Unholy is everything that 976-EVIL wasn't when it comes to 80's horror.

The Vestron UK Blu-ray looks and sounds very good and is loaded with extras.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Not a patch on the fourth installment. How could it be when it loses one of that films star performers - Ellie Cornell - in the first half an hour leaving us with Donald Pleasence's Loomis who might be more deranged than Myers. More of a run of the mill slasher with a loony finale than the haunting menace originally created by John Carpenter.

The Unholy was a surprisingly decent made film, I agree a bit slow moving towards the end, Ben Cross was a great actor to watch.