Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 21st October 2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 661885)
A quick round up of the last few days.

Xtro (1982)

https://nutmusic.com/wp-content/uplo...iler-still.jpg

You don't see many films like this one... WTF, that birthing scene, I'm a little traumatised.

Save your sanity Justin stay away from the sequels, learn from my mistakes, no matter how tempting they are to watch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661889)
The Unholy was a surprisingly decent made film, I agree a bit slow moving towards the end, Ben Cross was a great actor to watch.

Slow moving towards the end? Are you mad? :lol:

It's an eighties FX fest towards the end.

Demoncrat 21st October 2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 661878)
HALLOWEEN HORROR SPLURGE #8

18/10/21

THE DARK – The streets of LA are being held to ransom an evil alien giant – cops and the media have long conversations about it. ‘The Dark’ works because its slightly dry ‘investigation’ storyline is frequently disrupted by quirkiness – the strangeness of seventies California, odd characters, the occasional mad bit with laser eye blasting antagonist. And what about that blind guy who wanders in and out of scenes at random – is he meant to be metaphor for mankind? No lost classic, but I liked it.

19/10/21

POSSESSION – Simply one of the best horror films – it’s been too long since I last saw it, so it was a relief to find that its staggering oddity remains undiminished (and, considering it was made in 1980, unparalleled.) For the uninitiated, where to start? Hysterical yet detached, mannered yet berserk, it’s an expressionist breakup drama whose characters seem always on the verge of seizure, where identities slide in and out of focus, where doppelgangers thrive in the shadow of a blighted system. But I haven’t even told you about the randy octopus monster in the middle of all this arty profundity, a bizarre dollop of eighties fx that brings a touch of off-brand Lovecraft to the proceedings. There are other things you might not see coming, such as the fridge full of body parts and a sudden climactic mutation into Cold War spy actioner. All attempts at flippancy aside, Isabel Adjani is unbelievable here. I have never seen such a shocking performance in any other film; I could throw around words like ‘delirium’, ‘primal’ etc, but they would flutter away. ‘Possession’ is appropriately divisive, some people hate it / find it boring, but IMO it’s essential viewing.

20/10/21

CLOWN – A guy puts on a clown suit for his kid’s party and afterwards finds he can’t get out of it; it’s a nice one liner and an OK excuse for a horror film. Turns out that the clown suit is of demonic origin and exerts a malign transformative influence. Well, we could all see that coming. This time around, ‘Clown’ seemed to take a while to get going, and looked a bit plain. I tend to think of it as being in the shadow of more stylish / edgy films from around the time like ‘Tusk’ (which I really liked). But its black comedy hit the right notes, the demon clown was quite effective, and the I was still a little surprised by its pretty dark attitude to uh child sacrifice. Entertainingly sharp schlock with a nasty aftertaste.

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I need to see this Clown methinks

Nordicdusk 21st October 2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 661720)
Cough
I am a brazen demon me, this still on offer ahem?? :rolleyes::behindsofa:

of course.

MrBarlow 21st October 2021 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Halloween. 2007.

10 year old Michael has been committed to a psychiatric hospital for the murder of his step-father, sister and her boyfriend, 16 years later he escapes and returns home to find and kill his baby sister.

Hats off to Rob Zombie for this,he does explore Michael's background from killing animals which shows concern for Dr. Loomis and being treated in the hospital, which was in the 1978 original for a T.V. Version and loomis consulting a medical board

Casting Malcolm McDowell to play Loomis and adding in a book he written on Michael basically shows how hated he can become even the cemetery caretaker hated it yet he still doesn't know who he was talking to, Malcolm does have the same drive that Donald Pleasance had in stopping a deranged killer, for me, this was enjoyable but still has nothing on the original.

Attachment 237138

Nordicdusk 21st October 2021 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 13

Christ i'm so behind but i will make 30.

Attachment 237144

John Harrington has it all he owns a thriving fashion house specializing in wedding dresses he is surrounded by beautiful women he also has the looks that could land him any of these beautiful women in a heartbeat not to mention the wealth and beautiful home he inherited. Unfortunately life is never perfect John has a dark hobby where he murders any of his fashion models that leave him to get married. The old saying goes behind every great man is a great woman but this is not the case for John behind every great man is a angry bitter spiteful bitch who refuses to give him a divorce :lol:. After years of torment John has had enough and decides to off his wife but even in death this she devil won't be going anywhere without him.

With a interesting story great characters so many beautiful women and some really stylish kills its the beauty of how this is shot that really stands out. Every scene is filled with haunting shadows and eerie lighting Bava manages to make a character out of everyone inch of the set in a scene. I really love the idea of the wife character just taunting him constantly there to laugh at his failings never leaving him forget her and stopping him moving on with any other woman. The whole film feels like a dream or maybe even a nightmare.

7/10

Nordicdusk 21st October 2021 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Attachment 237145

Film 14

A doctor has been imprisoned and sentenced to be hanged after a mercy killing on one of his patients. Dr John Garth was working on a serum that he believes can cure old age but while perfecting the serum would take time his patient was in so much pain he couldn't wait and he begged for a release from a life of pain which Dr Garth obliged but he would now pay with his own life. While waiting for him execution a doctor takes interest in his research and the warden agrees to let them work together up until he was to be hanged. Proving his research was real and finally making the breakthrough Dr Garth mixes a serum with the blood of a newly executed killer and injects it into himself thinking he was about to die himself but at the last moment he is pardoned but it's too late to remove the serum and so a new nightmare begins for Dr Garth and his family and friends.

A very enjoyable film especially Karloff turning in a great performance i love the switch from vulnerable old man with a great passion for his work and how much he wants to use his work to genuinely help people not just using science to take over the world to a man filled with a murderous rage that he cannot control until it over takes him and he totally blacks out. One scene really made me sympathise with his murderous tendencies and that was when you could see him really wanting to murder the guy playing the piano at the party because i wanted to kill him myself with that horrendous tune he was slapping out on the ivories :lol:

7/10

bleakshaun 21st October 2021 07:35 PM

Lord of Illusions

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ionsposter.jpg

Second time I've seen this and I enjoyed it more this time. Maybe I'm a sucker for horror mixed with noir. I don't ****ing know. I didn't realise swan was played by beni from The Mummy :lol:.

Nordicdusk 21st October 2021 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 15

Attachment 237149

Dr. Julian Blair is researching human brain waves and how he can use them to communicate through a machine he has that uses a graph to records the brain impulses on a chart but he has no idea just how to read with it actually says. On night on his way home from the lab his wife is killed in a crash after which the devastated Dr starts to spend all his time in his lab trying to find a way to communicate with his dead wife. His obsessions becomes even worse when his mentally challenged assistant Karl introduces him to aphony medium how believes she may actually have a real talent she is not aware of for communicating with the dead. But are Karl and the medium Blanche Walters leading him down the garden path for their own financial gain.

We can sort sympathize with Dr Blair throughout this the man is heartbroken and his grief has driven him mad to the point he is willing to put his daughter at great risk just to speak to her mother. But for most of the film the real evil and driving force behind him was Blanche constantly in his ear guiding him in a direction that best suited her ensuring she gained the most from his actions even murder. Things really kick off once the doctor Karl and the medium move to a small village on the coast of New England everything about the place is creepy from the isolated cliff top mansion they move into to the small village where rough seas batter the coast line non stop. The lab in the new house is smaller but it filled with strange contraptions to aid in his extreme experiments. The house itself has a real creepy vibe where its mostly in darkness and only lanterns light the way so there is no external interference for what is going in inside the lab.

Apart from a few wobbly sets the thing that lets this one down is the run time at just over an hour it felt like they had to rush the ending just to get it dont within the time it just all concludes way to fast honestly could of done with an extra 15 or 20 minutes to draw the ending out just a little bit more.

7/10

MrBarlow 21st October 2021 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Screams. 1982.

A small town holding a celebration of the last night of a carnival, a machete wielding killer is on the loose.

This is nothing original, bunch of horny teens making out and then getting slaughtered in somewhat attempt at gruesome ways, the acting is not at it's best in this movie, practically begging the killer to take out one or two annoying teens, welcome to the through-back of the 80s slasher genre. Regarding a post back, maybe Dem is right, maybe I am mad cos I actually enjoyed this some how, must be the cos half the females in this were topless or the strange twist in the end.

Attachment 237150