Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2021, 06:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 21st

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

How the f*ck is this normally described as a horror comedy?

It's not funny. It's f*cking scary. From the Slaughtered Lamb pub and the "Stay off the moors" warnings to being hunted by an unseen assailant in the tunnels of the London Underground. Not to mention that f*cking dream sequence!

Just because Griffin Dunne turns up as a putrefying corpse to warn his mate to kill himself or he'll turn into a werewolf does not make this remotely funny.

Nice of director John Landis to give small parts to Linzi Drew and Nina Carter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg american-werewolf-in-london-blu-ray-movie-title.jpg (68.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

It's not funny. It's f*cking scary. From the Slaughtered Lamb pub and the "Stay off the moors" warnings to being hunted by an unseen assailant in the tunnels of the London Underground. Not to mention that f*cking dream sequence!
I'm pretty sure the sequel was more comedy than horror or is that a mix up.

When I saw first watched this I literally shit myself, think I jumped at this movie 5-6 times, there is no way this is a comedy horror, except when David is running about the zoo, this movie has a kill count of 20, that's more than Halloween and Halloween II combined.

Comedy Horror
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-arse.jpg (97.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 22nd October 2021, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inferno. 1980.

A American student in Rome and his sister in New York investigate killings and believe they are part of a witches coven.

Second part to Dario's tale of The Three Mothers tales, The plot to it may not be great but you can't ignore the beautiful stunning visual effects used and the bright colours that matched Suspiria. You can't have a movie about witches and not involve the felines going on a murder rampage which I have always found to be a nice tough. Like Suspiria there is always a nice reveal towards the end of the "Mater Tenebrarum" The Mother Of darkness with it's nice little twist to the story. Classic Horror movie.

p8482_p_v10_ab.jpg
Mojo, Justin101, MacBlayne and 8 others like this.
Old 22nd October 2021, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Just because Griffin Dunne turns up as a putrefying corpse to warn his mate to kill himself or he'll turn into a werewolf does not make this remotely funny.
I don't think it's funny in the same way that Shaun of the Dead is funny – An American werewolf in London has black, absurdist humour. I find the scene in the cinema funny. David Naughton's naked shenanigans in the zoo, particularly stealing a small boy's balloons, is something I always laugh at.

I would describe it as a horror-comedy, with the emphasis on the horror. Something like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is a comedy-horror, much more the former than the latter.
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Washing Machine. 1993.

A detective investigates the dismembered body found in a washing machine, only for the body to disappear and is drawn into a web of deceit and murder.

Why was this listed as a horror aside from the mangled body seen in the washing machine it's more crime thriller but hey ho here it is, Ruggero Deodato claims he did this for money but that's very doubtful, usually when directors make a movie for just the money it can be all over the place, this is Deodato taking care on how to make a film. Yes it can be seen as something of Euro trash erotica but done in a tasteful way. The pace of the movie can be slow but it's kept interesting so that it doesn't get boring and a bit of a mind screw twist ending.

the-washing-machine-1993-with-english-subtitles-on-dvd-1.jpg
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Nice of director John Landis to give small parts to Linzi Drew and Nina Carter.
It's a horror film that has humour if the viewer has the right mindset. It's admittedly not as dark but I do consider American Werewolf along the same lines as The Evil Dead or Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the way the comedy is probably lost on a certain section of society.
MacBlayne and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

To be honest i also think it's a horror comedy. I just wanted to say something in my review that perhaps wasn't the same as every other review that has been typed on here about An American Werewolf in London.

We all know it's a fantastic slice of classic horror with a vicious streak of humour running through it, great effects work, See You Next Wednesday, etc, etc, etc.

However unlike J's association with The Evil Dead, that i don't see. The Evil Dead is slapstick comedy with demons. There's nobody in AAWIL who gurns and pulls faces like Campbell does in those films and not once have i ever thought of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a horror comedy.

It's sequels maybe but not the original, no way.

People will be saying The Exorcist just takes the piss next.

However my review has brought up discussion so that's cool.
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:10 PM
Cult Addict

"not once have i ever thought of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a horror comedy."

Seriously??? Its hilarious in places! The dinner table scene, trying to help poor grandad conk Sally on the head with a hammer? I was in stitches first time I watched it.
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict

Sorry I forgot to properly quote your comment there Dem.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
"not once have i ever thought of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a horror comedy."

Seriously??? Its hilarious in places! The dinner table scene, trying to help poor grandad conk Sally on the head with a hammer? I was in stitches first time I watched it.
That scene i find really disturbing. More than any other in the film.

The thought of not quite hard enough hammer blows slowly knocking the life out of you, as your head begins to spin, your eyes lose focus, you slowly begin to black out, as you hear the cracking of your own skull followed by the softer sound of the hammer landing on brain tissue.

Like this? Share it using the links below!