LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:37 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
FRANKIE'S HALLOWEEN SPECTACULAR #9

KILLER BARBYS – This is Jess Franco being Jess Franco – rampant atmosphere, doesn’t make sense at all, attempts at eroticism that are just dull or slimy, and absolutely no f*cks given. The ‘Killer Barbys’ (sic) are a punk band who end up stranded in the crumbling mansion of a Princess Bathory type; various gothic goings-on ensue, along with bits of really cheap, rubbish gore. One line goes that most of this, from the lame humour to the overlong scenes of not-even-very-visible people shagging in the back of a Winnebago, is abysmal. But somehow Franco’s morbid poetry shines through it all. Somehow, he is able to weave a threadbare tapestry of decaying opulence, shots of grotesque little objects, and mist-shrouded exteriors, and make it seem far more alluring than anything else put out in 1996. Many others won’t share that view, but this is definitely one for the fans.
Does it say something about me that i've seen Killer Barbys way more times than the twice i've watched Hooper's 'classic' TCM?
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe i should watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre again. I've seen it once on dvd and once on vhs.

It seemed very dull for an hour. All i recall is kids driving around basically doing nothing.

Give me House of 1000 Corpses any day. Now that is wickedly funny.
I've never actually seen House of 1000 Corpses Dem. Probably something I need to amend as The Devil's Rejects is awesome.
Old 23rd October 2021, 01:54 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
22/10/21

BLOODY MOON – The reason I like ‘Bloody Moon’ is that it really does answer the question “what would it be like if Jess Franco did a cheap American-style slasher, and would it be amazing?” – well, a film this outrageously dumb has to fall a little short of ‘amazing’, but watching him dally with the mainstream with something quite linear but still steeped in his trademark seedy expressionism is quite gratifying. ‘Bloody Moon’ may be atypical Franco in a way, but is also a good introduction for those who can’t necessarily be arsed with his excesses (if you want those there’s plenty to choose from, see below).

KILLER BARBYS – This is Jess Franco being Jess Franco – rampant atmosphere, doesn’t make sense at all, attempts at eroticism that are just dull or slimy, and absolutely no f*cks given. The ‘Killer Barbys’ (sic) are a punk band who end up stranded in the crumbling mansion of a Princess Bathory type; various gothic goings-on ensue, along with bits of really cheap, rubbish gore. One line goes that most of this, from the lame humour to the overlong scenes of not-even-very-visible people shagging in the back of a Winnebago, is abysmal. But somehow Franco’s morbid poetry shines through it all. Somehow, he is able to weave a threadbare tapestry of decaying opulence, shots of grotesque little objects, and mist-shrouded exteriors, and make it seem far more alluring than anything else put out in 1996. Many others won’t share that view, but this is definitely one for the fans.
So i think an Uncle Jess double-bill is on the cards I've not watched Killer Barbys yet but I do have the DVD. I loved Bloody Moon though, it's currently only a fiver from the Classic Films Direct sale if anyone wants to pick up a copy, the Severin bluray is very nice.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd October 2021, 02:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
So i think an Uncle Jess double-bill is on the cards I've not watched Killer Barbys yet but I do have the DVD. I loved Bloody Moon though, it's currently only a fiver from the Classic Films Direct sale if anyone wants to pick up a copy, the Severin bluray is very nice.
Are there a lot of extras on the Bd? I have the Severin dvd
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Are there a lot of extras on the Bd? I have the Severin dvd
No, just a 20 minute interview which is probably on the DVD
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 23rd October 2021, 02:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
No, just a 20 minute interview which is probably on the DVD
I was tempted by Bloody Moon myself. It was in my original CFD basket as part of an order that merited free postage.

I'm currently looking for some sand to stick my head in.

Oh and Susan. I'm a raven, not an ostrich or emu.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:55 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 17

lf.jpg

Princess Celeste LaTour is the head of a gypsy tribe she has a hidden secret that is n the verge of being discovered by the owner of a mansion he had turned into a museum of the occult. His new research has led him to the hidden tomb of the lady that once owned the mansion hidden behind a secret passageway underneath the mansion the legend goes that she was a werewolf but no one knows her whereabouts until now. On the night Dr. Charles Morris is about to show his findings to his son on his return from Washington he is mysteriously murdered. Dr. Morris's son carries out is own investigation to find the killer and piece together his father's partially destroyed notes to maybe find out who and why he was killed.

Most of the film plays out more like a cop drama rather than a horror. There is some great atmospheric scenes in the mansion the use and lighting and shadows keeps the creepy feel. The best scenes for me are in the gypsy camp every member of the tribe looks sinister even the ones just there to fill out the camp. My favourite scene was when Peter the museum tour guide was discovered emerging from the shadows in a state of shock and madness sadly the rest of the film did not reach the heights of that one scene. The one disappointment is that the werewolf is just an actual wolf but that aside it was an enjoyable film.

7/10
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 days of unseen horror

Film 17

Attachment 237182

Princess Celeste LaTour is the head of a gypsy tribe she has a hidden secret that is n the verge of being discovered by the owner of a mansion he had turned into a museum of the occult. His new research has led him to the hidden tomb of the lady that once owned the mansion hidden behind a secret passageway underneath the mansion the legend goes that she was a werewolf but no one knows her whereabouts until now. On the night Dr. Charles Morris is about to show his findings to his son on his return from Washington he is mysteriously murdered. Dr. Morris's son carries out is own investigation to find the killer and piece together his father's partially destroyed notes to maybe find out who and why he was killed.

Most of the film plays out more like a cop drama rather than a horror. There is some great atmospheric scenes in the mansion the use and lighting and shadows keeps the creepy feel. The best scenes for me are in the gypsy camp every member of the tribe looks sinister even the ones just there to fill out the camp. My favourite scene was when Peter the museum tour guide was discovered emerging from the shadows in a state of shock and madness sadly the rest of the film did not reach the heights of that one scene. The one disappointment is that the werewolf is just an actual wolf but that aside it was an enjoyable film.

7/10
I don't know this one at all. Was it watched via streaming or Blu-ray?
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I don't know this one at all. Was it watched via streaming or Blu-ray?
Its free on youtube.
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Its free on youtube.
Now that Demdike has a fancy modern TV there is no reason why he can't watch all the public domain (and the few not exactly legit) films available on YouTube via his massive TV screen Samsung has a decent enough YouTube app.

Like this? Share it using the links below!