Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2021, 08:25 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 days of unseen horror

Film 24

lf.jpg

Doctor Lloyd Claytons twin brother Elwyn has just died but there are conflicting stories of how he died the locals were all afraid of Elwyn with rumours that he was a servant of satan. Elwyn had a servant of his own Zolarr a hunchback who knows that Lloyd had a hand in the death of his brother. It's not long after the burial that Zolarr removes his master's coffin and Elwyn returns from the dead to get his revenge on his brother and his first target is their niece Gayle but her new fiance David will not allow harm to come to her but that may be easier said than done.

This is a different take on a vampire film almost a jekyll and hyde feel even if its two separate people but we get the one good brother and one evil brother it's good by day bad by night. There is plenty of atmosphere as you would expect from a film from this time lighting shadows and fog really give life to those night time scenes with some nice effects when Elwyn appears and disappears right before our eyes. The film moves at a decent pace no padding just straight to the point and it all builds up to a very enjoyable climax. My only complaint is the music it has that creepy vibe but then there is a few bars thrown in that are far more suited to a comedy with is very odd and can spoil the atmosphere of a few of the darker moments.

7/10
Old 26th October 2021, 09:02 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 25

s-l400.jpg

Newlyweds Eric and Jenni move in to the house that Eric once lived with his first wife before she died in an accident on the grounds of their mansion. While Eric was away his faithful gardener has maintained the place to perfection Mickey who has the mind of a child was very attached to Marianne and he has never accepted her death. Soon after they move in Jenni starts to experience strange things happening in the house from noises to the constant appearance of a human skull all around the house for Jenni who has a history of mental illness this is all proving too much for her and she starts losing her mind but Eric is convinced it's just Mickey playing mind games to force Jenni out of the house or maybe Marianne has returned from beyond the grave to stop her husband finding happiness.

I absolutely loved this can't believe i never saw this before. The whole film is so well put together it does such a great job of building tension and everything about it is creepy the howling winds the window shutters banging the sounds of the trees hitting off the walls the creams of the peacocks but it would all be for nothing without the fantastic acting of Peggy Webber as Jenni watching her makes you believe that she is scared out of get wits and genuinely losing her mind it's brilliant to watch her in action. In the last film i reviewed i said my only complaint was the music but with this film the music is amazing it just raises every single scene to a whole new level it's always a perfect fit for the scene it's in. I'm actually blown away by this film i actually don't know what else to say maybe it doesn't seem like it but i sort of lost for words. I have that warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach now after watching it it's been a while since a film gave me that feeling honestly.

9/10
Old 26th October 2021, 09:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Glad you liked The Screaming Skull, Nordy. It's fantastic.

Hope you watched a good print of it. MGM released it on dvd in the US as part of a four film set and it looks superb.
Old 26th October 2021, 09:22 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you liked The Screaming Skull, Nordy. It's fantastic.

Hope you watched a good print of it. MGM released it on dvd in the US as part of a four film set and it looks superb.
I'm going to order the Blu Ray from Scream Factory i can't wait to see it again.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 26th October 2021, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I'm going to order the Blu Ray from Scream Factory i can't wait to see it again.
I'll have to investigate that myself.

Wonderful poster art too.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 26th October 2021, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bells. 1982,

A disgruntled phone company employee have created a way for people die by answering a phone.

Another movie I held off watching as the premise of the film sounded daft so went with this for tonight and actually enjoyed it, there is a good team of Richard Chamberlain and John Houseman play the investigators of the killer phone call. Right from the start basically first 5 mins we are giving a decent kill and the bodies pile up. There isn't much tense moments in this but fairly entertaining.

full.bells_11945__48077.1556888059.jpg
Old 26th October 2021, 09:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'll have to investigate that myself.

Wonderful poster art too.
Nice to see them use proper artwork.
Old 26th October 2021, 10:32 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 26

Finally up to date

lf (1).jpg

Dr. Matt Campbell is carrying out research on the mind trying to bring it back to a primitive state using a pill he has come up with. Unfortunately for Matt he started taking the pills himself the pills are made using bats blood and they are highly addictive and if not taken every 24 hours he will become very ill. Eventually Matt becomes so ill that he dies but just before he goes he tried to warn another Doctor from town but he only manages to get out the word pills before he is too late. Dr Paul Beecher takes the pills home with him when he gets on of his migraines he asks his daughter to get his tablets out of his coat pocket but she give him the wrong ones and he takes on of the experimental drugs instead instantly Paul starts having memory lost and at the same time people start dying around town everyone of them with puncture marks on their necks.

On a bit of a roll tonight another really entertaining film and another different interesting take on the Vampire film. John Beal is brilliant as Paul you can really believe in his desperation and the relationship between him and his daughter make is situation even more real. We don't get to see what Paul transforms into much but when he finally shows up on screen he looks great not a typical vampire more half man half disfigured beast with eyes that would pierce your soul so it's well worth the wait. Great acting and a great story i'm sure it was also a warning about the dangers of drugs and the results of addiction.

8/10
Old 26th October 2021, 11:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Ship. 1980.

A cruise liner collides with a ship, some of the survivors adrift in a raft come into contact with the same ship only to discover no one is on board, they discover it was a Nazi torture boat used in WWII.

This wasn't on my list to watch but i'm happy to watch it, where would you see George Kennedy loose his marbles and become somewhat possessed by a German Captain? Richard Crenna plays the helpless hero with his wife and kids who try to get off the boat in one piece. Claustrophobic with some good tense moments that keeps me happy.

Death-Ship-Pic-1.jpg
Old 27th October 2021, 06:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't Go To Sleep. 1982.

A family move to a new house and the young girl of the family begins to see the spirit of her dead sister who died in a car accident.

I wouldn't say this was a classic made for T.V. movie even though Dennis Weaver and Ruth Gordon star in this, it focuses on the character building of everyone within the family and some guilt ridden over their loss. Robin Ignico plays the young Mary who is seeing her sister and does a decent job and Oliver Robbins as her brother who seems to enjoy winding her up. There is very little suspense but some tension is built up slowly, there is a bit of a mind screw twist ending.

MV5BZDE1MTY0MTktYzUyZC00MWE2LTg2YTktNjQyOWRjNWY2ZWU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzNTE3NDA@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!