Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2021, 12:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Silence. 2007.

A young man's wife is killed not long after a ventriloquist doll turns up at their flat, he goes back to his home town and searches for a urban legend of a famous ventriloquist Mary Shaw.

If you find dummy's creepy then this may be for you, from James Wan and Leigh Whannell who created the first two Saw movies brings us this little underrated gem. Every town has a ghost or urban legend and they bring it with this film. I saw this when it first came out and still holds up today with the dark atmosphere play house and the good make up effects for Mary Shaw that just about creeped me out. This is one that's best watched in the dark with no distractions.

thumb-1920-1144638.jpg
Old 29th October 2021, 12:59 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I was beginning to think it was only me that liked Contamination
I enjoyed it the only time i watched it.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 29th October 2021, 03:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't Breathe 2. 2021.

The Blind man Norman is living a peaceful life with his daughter who he controls on what she does. When a group of men break in, Norman will do anything to protect his house and daughter.

I'm not a big fan of the first movie and wasn't really eager to see this until I saw the trailer and gave it a go, Stephen Lang returns as the blind man who knows how to take on a fight and relies a lot on his senses to outsmart his enemy. Madelyn Grace plays the young girl who is growing and be trained as a survivalist. There is some good moments in this but lacks any tension and don't see how this is labled as a horror, will watch it again but not anytime soon.

dontbreathe2_onesheet_1400x2100_est.jpg
Old 29th October 2021, 03:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

FRANKIE STUMBLES ONWARDS TO THE BITTER END#12

27/10/21

AUNTIE LEE’S MEAT PIES – I was already groaning when I put it in the machine, but ALMP turned out to be pleasant surprise. Expecting the kind of Troma-esque castoff I least wanted to see, I found instead a mildly sleazy bad-taste comedy that blew up into sicko horror with a climax of neon-lit psychedelic freakery (and a big snake). Karen Black (!? I didn’t think she went in much for micro-budget gore comedy) tenderises all and sundry in her role as smalltown California’s resident pie-making cannibal, whilst Michael Berryman gurns his way through a very non-PC rendition of someone with various life challenges. I knew this would be a winner even before it turned the corner into weirdo stylisation. As always, you never know till you try with films like this; I don’t get lucky that often these days, but I did here.

28/10/21

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD – How could I not follow up with IDYB, arguably the most notorious ‘pie’ flick of them all? I love it for the fact that it’s exactly the kind of film that people hope for but never usually get when they hear the words ‘seventies grindhouse’, a film that distils the kind of madness that others of its ilk only ever seem to serve up in dribs and drabs. “Let it be known… that Satan was an acidhead!” Lines like that could have been ripped straight from the pages of a trashy seventies NEL paperback, which IDYB, with its focus on satanic hippies and outraged squares, closely resembles. There’s even a Vietnam-era subtext for po-faced tw@ts like me… but don’t let that stop you, it’s mostly about the mayhem caused by meat pies laced with rabies courtesy of a disgruntled kid with a god-complex. If you’re up for something nasty that leaves you feeling a bit feverish, IDYB might be your kind of poison.
Old 29th October 2021, 03:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I can see why many hold this in high regard it's very well acted and directed but I just found it too slow and a little dull and didn't feel like a horror.

Tonights viewings

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th October 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 29th October 2021, 04:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I always think of Don't Look Now as a British giallo rather than a horror film.
Old 29th October 2021, 04:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I always think of Don't Look Now as a British giallo rather than a horror film.
Think that fits it perfectly.
Old 29th October 2021, 04:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Think that fits it perfectly.
Haha! Yes. Slow, dull and stylish = typical giallo.
Old 29th October 2021, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I know some didn't rate this highly but I found it highly enjoyable it has some good scenes and kills and pays homage too the original which will always be the best, but this is better than most of the other movies, I didn't have a problem Laurie turning into Sarah Conner , hey if I was I her shoes I knew he would be back for me, I would probably do the same.

Now watching, which is the first time I've seen it.

Old 29th October 2021, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict

The Sentinel

The most horrifying thing is Jeff Goldblum didn't sound like Jeff Goldblum .
Nah I jest this was great.

Like this? Share it using the links below!