Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2021, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tales From The Crypt Presents: Bordello Of Blood. 1996.

A funeral parlour poses as a brothel for a centuries old vampire queen.

Daft, corny, funny, some real back acting, a homage to the old 50s B movies we love but good visual effects and make-up, we get Chris Sarandon playing a preacher who wants to battle Satan on stage and plenty of boobies.

p18369_p_v10_aa.jpg
Old 29th October 2021, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This was a slower burner but unlike don't look now , I thoroughly enjoyed this and it didn't drag and was very creepy and unsettling , I really feel like moving the wardrobe out of my room! Korea do produce some excellent and creepy horrors.

Ending the night with.

Old 29th October 2021, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two from 1989.

Darkroom (Terrence O'Hara)

A faaaamily film produced by Nico Mastorakis. Need I say more???
Just try and stop me
Red herrings are a staple in certain parlours in the cinematic house. Take heed. Things take an unusual turn when a prospective partner of one sibling arrives unexpectedly for dinner.
Thrill overload or what?
Nevertheless there is a lot of fun to be had with this one.
Warning: Mullet sighting

Nightwish

Revisit for this one, as I wanted to bathe in its singlemindeness once again. Cries out for the musical remake. A group of ... volunteers set up house in yer abode that is ... spiritually challenged?
PC enough??
Ahem. Still just an oddity and a third tbh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th October 2021, 10:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tales From The Crypt Presents: Demon Knight. 1995.

A man is being hunted by a demon known as "The Collector" and takes shelter in a hotel with some people.

This has always been entertaining to watch, William Sadler facing off against Billy Zane in a good vs evil showdown with other demons resurrected from Hell, good acting and does have it's comical moments and great visual effects and make-up used.

Tales_from_the_crypt_presents_demon_knight.jpg
Old 29th October 2021, 11:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 28th

The Howling (1981)

A film that improves with each viewing, although it's tongue in cheek feel still lets it down somewhat. Kudos that director Joe Dante gives so many nods to horror classics from the past and Rob Bottin's make up effects including THAT werewolf transformation scene are simply superb.

What a pleasure it was seeing the horny Marsha beautifully restored on the new StudioCanal Blu-ray.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)

Should have been titled The Mess of Michael Myers because that's what it is. That final shot of Donald Pleasence sticks in the memory as he states he has some business to attend to even if the film doesn't.

Still, it's an easy if daft watch in the run up to October 31st.

Tales of Halloween (2015)

Ten stories are woven together by their shared theme of Halloween night in an American suburb, where ghouls, imps, aliens and axe murderers appear for one night only to terrorize unsuspecting residents.

It's impossible not to compare Tales of Halloween to Trick r Treat (2007). However whilst that film works a treat (ahem) the same cannot be said for Tales of Halloween.

After a terrific opening half hour with the short stories hitting you thick and fast it suddenly became a bit of a chore to sit through. Visually it's excellent with so many references to horror down the years you just don't have chance to take it all in. Ten stories in a mere 90 minutes is too much and it feels unfocused after around the forty minute mark. Some of the stories amuse, some repulse, a couple i felt didn't work at all.

Where Trick r' Treat really shone through for me is the loving way all the stories interconnect with each other and you notice scenes from one story taking place whilst watching another. There's nothing like this here. Some of the ideas used did seem to come from other films such as Jeff Lieberman's Satan's Little Helper (2004), but once again it was lovely to hear and briefly see Adrienne Barbeau reprise her role of a late night witching hour DJ throughout the film.

Despite the fact i have been critical of two films above i still enjoy them. The Curse of Michael Myers gets watched every year and i've seen Tales of Halloween three times now. Both films give off that October Halloween vibe beautifully and will be watched for years to come.
Old 30th October 2021, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Critters. 1986.

A small group of vicious alien creatures crash land by a small town while being chased by two shape-shifting bounty hunters.

Madcap comedy horror with small furball creatures that are able to roll into a ball and shoot little spikes and eat everything in their way. Two great actresses Dee Wallace and Lin Shaye star in this even though they have no screen time together. M. Emmet Walsh plays the town Sheriff who doesn't believe the town drunk, every small town needs a drunk or idiot, good visual effects.

critters.jpg
Old 30th October 2021, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I still think they are cute

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th October 2021, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beyond The Door. 1974.

A young mother, pregnant with her third child feels something is odd with this pregnancy.

The parents look laid back and seem to let their kids get away with anything, if I called my dad a A-hole i'm sure my backside would be tanned or even swearing my ear would be red raw. Richard Johnson is always great to watch on screen and always seem to describe what's happening in good detail and able to act out his character well. Juliet Mills plays the new mother who slowly turns sinister with the green goo frothing from the mouth. One of many Exorcist rip-off's that's entertaining and 70s background music.

lf.jpg
Old 30th October 2021, 01:25 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 28

maxresdefault.jpg

Gotho a lonely hunchback who works in the towns morgue he experiences daily torture and ridicule from everyone in the village he lives in from kids to the people he works with. In the hospital is the only friends Gotho has ever had Ilsa unfortunately Ilsa is dying but Gotho is convinced she will soon be well again. When Ilsa dies Gotho cannot accept it believing she is just asleep he enlists the help of a scientist who has some questionable idea and allows him to carry out his crazy experiments in his hidden layer with the promise that he will bring Ilsa back to life. Gotho has to keep the supply of body parts coming to help with the creation of a new life.

For all the horrendous acts that Gotho carries out in this you can only feel sorry for him he is so heartbroken and missing Ilsa so much it has driven him to become the monster that people always thought he was because of his deformity but this is far from the real Gotho he is a loyal loving man with so much caring to give. There is so many great kills and plenty of nasty gore hands feet heads chopped off skin melted the use of medieval torture contraptions all part of the killing spree. I loved that longer the films goes on the more and more crazy Dr Orla becomes even his eyes start to tell a different story as the film goes on. One thing i didn't like was the actual burning of the rats knowing it was real made the whole scene uncomfortable to watch other than that the who film is a blast.

8/10
Old 30th October 2021, 02:16 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 29

MV5BNTVkNWJlYWUtOTE0ZS00NDYwLWE4ZTUtOGZlNmFjN2JmODk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

A Japanese gang hire a European hitman to carry out a diamond heist but when the job is done he gets greedy and betrays the gang and steals the loot. This is a pretty complicated situations because Bruno is in love with the bosses daughter and she is now pregnant. Bruno flees back to Europe and hides out in the mountains of Spain but its not long before he is tracked down and after a bloody shootout he barely escapes with his life but the crime boss has been killed leaving only his sister to avenge his death. Bruno is seriously injured and passes out when he wakes up he is in a house with a doctor and his two daughters who nurse him back to health and protect him from his pursuers but its not out of the goodness of their hearts they have sick plans for their new guest.

I found this a bit boring it starts off decent with a good set up and some good shootouts but soon its starts to go downhill. Half the film is just a half naked Paul Naschy laying in bed not enough energy to walk but plenty of energy to pleasure the two sisters and carry out an affair and most of the other half is him having dreams and flashbacks about how happy he was with his ex before he murdered and betrayed her and her brother. I loved the ending but the rest of the film really dragged on and the payoff wasn't worth sitting through the rest. Great idea but not executed very well.

4/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!