Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Frankie Teardrop 1st October 2022 12:16 PM

Kicking off my countdown with a dead cert -

TERROR – It might’ve been on TV back when I was in my late teens / early twenties, and I remember thinking quite clearly “I hate this film. It’s f&cking rubbish”, then getting ever so slightly angry. Since then, either it’s grown up or I have – hate has turned to love, the best of reversals. Watching ‘Terror’ these days is like dipping into a treasure trove of minor weirdness. We’re inside a horror film, granted, but we’re also in a world of overly conspicuous Daz packets, of ‘Sham 69’ scrawled in lipstick on a mirror, of intimidating S/M strip routines, of smoke-filled pubs where everyone looks a bit like Michael Winner, of flying cars, of scenes that don’t quite mutate into ones more typical of a ‘Confessions Of…’ movie, of someone who shakes their hair like they’re trying to dry it off after they’ve been caught in a downpour only they’re in the process of being stabbed to death… this avalanche of dowdy Britishness is gilded with cribs from none other than Argento – you can see it in flashes of kindergarten lighting and in bits like the one where someone lets a load of blood rain down on them (a variation on the maggot ceiling from ‘Suspiria’). The effect is baffling. There are at least two instances of long, winding build-ups to fake scares, and it’s quite telling that these don’t irritate the way they would in a straighter film – ‘Terror’ is really 100% goofball in attitude, if not always in demeanour. There is a radical disconnect at its heart. Scenes float together and make approximate sense, but the whole thing feels derailed. Maybe the wobbly conceit about a family curse pulls it all together somehow, but there’s plenty of random senselessness leaking out at the sides. Anyway, I could go on, but much to your relief I won’t. Let me end by stating the obvious – NJW, we love you!

Justin101 1st October 2022 12:54 PM

The Crazies (2010)

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/p...TheCrazies.jpg

The modern remake of Romero's political 70's horror about biological weapons. This new version diverts a bit from the original story, pretty much only keeping the premise of the water being being polluted by 'codename Trixie'. There are some fabulously tense set pieces including one involving an automatic car wash. A good start to the marathon, £1.50 in CEX well spent!

Nordicdusk 1st October 2022 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Day 1

Attachment 242420

After his wife is murdered Adam Chaplin sells his soul to a demon to help him avenge his wifes death. He his granted superhuman strength to accomplish his goal.

This film is absolutely ridiculous everyone single person apart from Adams wife is disfigured in some horrific way. This is just a gore splatter fest really the acting means nothing the story means nothing the way it's shot means nothing you only come for the over the top gore and that's it. The whole thing is just CGI but it's still a fun watch with just how crazy it all is. The dialogue when there is any just drags on and on and I just couldn't wait for the next feast of ripped of limbs and smashed open heads :lol:

It's a fun watch but once you have seen it you have seen it no need to go back.

Good start to the month

MacBlayne 1st October 2022 03:48 PM

A Page of Madness

A PAGE OF MADNESS

Do you ever get that feeling when you're about five minutes into a film, and you know you are about to watch one of the best films ever made? Well, that's how I felt when watching this 1926 Japanese oddity.

A Page of Madness is an incredible visual horror experience developed by an avant-garde theatre group. It expands on the German Expressionism movement, and employs other experimental techniques. Rapid intercutting, dolly movements, interpolation - A Page of Madness is a freewheeling exercise of terror.

The plot is extremely simple - a man becomes a janitor at an asylum where his wife is being held, and tries to break her out. However, she doesn't want to leave. That much I know. There is more, but due to the highly surrealistic nature of the film, being from a pre WW2 Japan, and the lack of intertitles, I can only guess as to the other elements.

However, this is to the film's benefit, as it resembles somebody recalling a bad dream. Details are missing, context is ill-defined, but it works at creating a terrifying ordeal. The final shots are magnificent, and make you wonder what is real anymore.

I loved, LOVED this film. It is horror cinema at its most purest.

NOTE: A Page of Madness is currently streaming on Mubi. This is the restored version with the Alloy Orchestra score.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2022 04:48 PM

October 1st - The wee small hours.

1 Attachment(s)
Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Despite it's many flaws i had a really good time watching this just after midnight last night. The opening fifteen minutes don't disgrace the series whatsoever and actually provide a nice shock in dispatching Laurie Strode once and for all.

I still love the homage to Michael Powell's Peeping Tom (1960) when Michael picks up a movie camera on a tripod and we get the same first person camera work as the 1960 classic as Michael moves in on his prey before plunging the tripod through the victim's throat. It's nicely done and quite clever as it harks back to the earliest slasher from a first person viewpoint before we head into a more modern take on the idea with online reality shows.

MrBarlow 1st October 2022 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maniac. 2012.

Frank who owns a mannequin store meets a young artist and helps her with her new up and coming exhibition unaware of Frank's deadly obssession.

The 80s a follow up to the slasher genre and able to get away with a bit more blood and gore on the screen till a activist stepped in. the original gave us a typical mild mannered man Joe Spinelli and Bill Lustig gave us a great serial killer.

Director Franck Khalfoun gave us a remake with Elijah Wood in the lead role, I was hesitant due to the fact that Mr Frodo was in a teen horror Sci-Fi The Faculty but can he pull off being a stalker and serial killer...Yes he bloody can do. Did Elijah and the director watch the original and think "what they did there, we can do better"? The way this is done with the cinematography is brilliant when we hear Frank talk to his victims it can be like P.O.V. then changes to a still cam. It can be uncomfortable to watch but you still can't look away. Robin Coudert (Rob) provides a brilliant score that goes well with the film's tone.

Attachment 242425

Up Next Friday The 13th

Justin101 1st October 2022 05:59 PM

Hammer House of Horror: Witching Time (1980)

https://www.hammerhouseofhorrortvser...t_screen_8.jpg

My debut watch of this classic horror TV series from the early 80s on the rather great looking bluray from Network.

David, a film composer on the brink of a nervous breakdown finds a semi naked Patricia Quinn in his barn, she claims to be a witch from the 1600's called Lucinda and so begins the tormenting of poor David, only no-one believes him, at first...

Also starring a rather dashing Ian McCulloch as Charles the village doctor who just happens to be bedding David's wife Mary.

A nice blend of psychological and supernatural horror and some very unhinged acting. I enjoyed this one and intend to watch the rest of the episodes throughout October. :pop2:

Justin101 1st October 2022 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 676590)
Maniac. 2012.

Frank who owns a mannequin store meets a young artist and helps her with her new up and coming exhibition unaware of Frank's deadly obssession.

The 80s a follow up to the slasher genre and able to get away with a bit more blood and gore on the screen till a activist stepped in. the original gave us a typical mild mannered man Joe Spinelli and Bill Lustig gave us a great serial killer.

Director Franck Khalfoun gave us a remake with Elijah Wood in the lead role, I was hesitant due to the fact that Mr Frodo was in a teen horror Sci-Fi The Faculty but can he pull off being a stalker and serial killer...Yes he bloody can do. Did Elijah and the director watch the original and think "what they did there, we can do better"? The way this is done with the cinematography is brilliant when we hear Frank talk to his victims it can be like P.O.V. then changes to a still cam. It can be uncomfortable to watch but you still can't look away. Robin Coudert (Rob) provides a brilliant score that goes well with the film's tone.

Attachment 242425

Up Next Friday The 13th

The soundtrack is amazing, I have the record pressed on a very disgusting flesh and blood coloured vinyl :D

MrBarlow 1st October 2022 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Friday The 13th. 1980.

With a re-opening of a summer camp that has bad luck in the past with a boy drowning, two counselors being killed , the new camp counselors are being targeted by a unknown killer.

The first in the franchise and i'm sure we all know the story and who the killer is if not...spoiler alert...Betsy Palmer seems like the nice old lady that lives on the street but has a nasty killer instinct. Sean S. Cunningham really knew how to make a dark atmospheric horror, the campfire story and someone jumping out may have inspired the team to do the same in The Burning which Tom Savini worked on in both films and the kills were nicely done in this.

Attachment 242430

Up Next Halloween III.

trebor8273 1st October 2022 08:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNb-8UQpgXI

This popped up on my YouTube feed having never heard of it , thought I would give it a go, the most well know person in this is Steven Railsback here he plays a cop who takes his partner to a hospital after a shoot out which turns out not to be a great idea when a old man in comes into the hospital while being treated a large maggot comes out his throat and the man dies, things only start getting worse when people are infected and a huge mantis type creature starts infecting and biting the heads of people in the hospital , Railsback teams up with a female doctor and scientist to stop the beast before the military bomb the hospital.

While nothing brilliant it was fast paced and enjoyable with some good gore and kills, but don't know why it's called blue monkey as no monkeys , blue or other wise in the film.

Now watching Stephen King's other vampire movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eRH4obQa3A

Will probably watch the first part of storm of the century which is probably one of my favourite King mini series.