Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:56 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I didn't get on with the new Candyman when I first saw it but it does deserve a second watch maybe someone saying if you don't like it your a rascist didn't help matters
Old 2nd October 2022, 01:29 PM
Cult Veteran

I enjoyed Candyman myself. I think it was mismarketed as 'a remake' when it really isn't, it's a new film set in the same universe as the original. It's nice and grizzly though and has some spectacular gore. It's due a second viewing, but I think this October is fully booked up so I might watch it again in a couple of months time.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd October 2022, 01:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Trick or Treat (1986)

Although it's a bit of a rip off of Phantom of the Paradise (1974), De Palma didn't have Ozzy Osbourne as an evangelical preacher or Gene Simmons, excellent here as a local radio DJ.

OTT in all the right places, Trick or Treat is a blast from start to finish as a young fan (Marc Price) brings recently deceased rock god Sammi Curr (a malevolent Tony Field) back to life at the high school Halloween dance with catastrophic results. Curr himself is a great creation reminiscent of W.A.S.P.'s Blackie Lawless with the added guitar god turns of Eddie Van Halen.

Wildly entertaining, this high school horror film featuring a killer soundtrack from 80's metal band Fastway should be near the top of any rock n' rollers Halloween viewing.
If you ever feel tempted to get the bluray (from Germany under the title Ragman) then take it from someone who has been, don't! While the picture is somewhat better, like a little bit, the sound is bloody awful, I don't know what they did to it but it's dreadful. Love the film though

Old 2nd October 2022, 01:43 PM
Cult Veteran

Default #4

Firestarter (1984)

Only on day two and i've already stumbled. I didn't get along with this one at all, 2 long hours of Drew Barrymore's terrible acting. All I could think about the whole time was how much I preferred daddy Zac in the newer remake. By the ending fireballs I wasn't jumping at joy because she was getting some payback, I was just glad that it was nearly finished!

Old 2nd October 2022, 03:53 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Firestarter (1984)

Only on day two and i've already stumbled. I didn't get along with this one at all, 2 long hours of Drew Barrymore's terrible acting. All I could think about the whole time was how much I preferred daddy Zac in the newer remake. By the ending fireballs I wasn't jumping at joy because she was getting some payback, I was just glad that it was nearly finished!
The remake is on my list for this month.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 2nd October 2022, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
The remake is on my list for this month.
It's not good, but it's watchable, concentrates more on the first half of the story and not the bit in 'The Shop'
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 2nd October 2022, 04:23 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
It's not good, but it's watchable, concentrates more on the first half of the story and not the bit in 'The Shop'
Didn't have much expectations for it but I am excited about the soundtrack.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Firestarter (1984)

I remember it being better back in the day, this one didn't age well.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchery. 1988.

No Halloween time can be complete without watching a Filmirage movie, Nice big house with a strange or haunting past, pregnant Linda Blair getting possessed again but no hot pea soup or crucifix masterbation.

David Hasslehoff trying to be a hero by pushing against a door wile trying to open it while stretching a calve muscle (FYI mate the door opens inwards). Annie Ross being a super bitch but then feels the heat from two hell dwellers that do us a favor by sowing her mouth shut. Robert Champagne end up spluttering out to much water down red paint, Blondie Catherine Hickland decides to cheat on her bf with Rick Farnsworth who's dad can fix anything...yeah he didn't fix it for you to come off the island. Michael Manchester in his first and only role plays the young Tommy who records strange voices and Leslie Cummings as the investigator/wannabe novelist of the Witch's Light who finds out she ain't a virgin anymore.

Hildegard Knef plays the mysterious woman in black...where is Arthur Kipps when you need him? she must have been thinking...I have had a good career what am I doing in this ?

Fabrizio Laurenti...sorry my bad Martin Newlin must have wanted to make a serious horror but producer Joe D' Amato tried to get a somewhat big budget but higher up folk obviously told him to work with what they have. I still think this is a classic, people will disagree with that including my Mrs.

MV5BODgwYjc0MDktNjM4OS00NGIyLWE3MGYtOTZiYjJmMjkyYjJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_QL75_UY281_.jpg

Up next Halloween 4
Mojo, Justin101, MacBlayne and 4 others like this.
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Thinner

An overweight Lawyer runs over a Gypsy Woman and after he gets off, the Husband puts him under a Curse in which he drastically loses weight, no matter what he eats. This is one where back in the late 90's, I kept on looking at it but never got it and it's not bad but I've seen better.

Hostel: Part II

The Elite Hunting Club are still in business and after making a few adjustments regarding security measures, 2 male customers successfully bid on 2 American Females. With a start which follows on from the 1st one, this one then delves into a story similar to the original but with the added storyline of how bids are made and how generally how things are run. There are some nice gore scenes and some creativity as well as a nice twist regarding the male customers. Also the street kids are back.

This is quite decent with a couple of great scenes, one being Heather Matarazzo's death scene (Loved to see her being pitched that idea and whether her friends and family quiz her about it) and another Director Cameo, this time it's Ruggero Deodato, with an ode to his Cannibal Film roots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t.jpg (13.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg hpII.jpg (9.1 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!