Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 3rd October 2022 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Demonic. 2021.

From writer/director Neill Blomkamp comes this...I basically watched 45 minutes of this supernatural mixed with Science-Fiction and became bored of it, the acting was not at it's best, it seemed rushed to the point nothing was really making sense it was like a occult being mixed with technology leading to possession seemed like a good premise just one big let down from a good director.

Attachment 242454

Have a good Monday Y'all

Nordicdusk 3rd October 2022 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 242455

30 days of unseen horror

Day 2

While driving through an isolated town the stranger's car breaks down. A tow truck just happens to be passing and offers to do the repairs but the stranger can't afford to pay and is offered the option of cleaning up the old abandoned family fun building and the owner will pay for the work to be done on his car. But in life nothing is ever straight forward but the stranger isn't one bit phased by what awaits him inside and just takes it all in his stride.

Right from the first time I saw the trailer a few months back I knew this was gonna be a fun time and a strange time and it didn't let me down in anyway. Nicholas Cage is having a great time yes it's hard to tell because his character is so laid back and casual in his demeanor but you can tell this is a blast for him murdering mechanical animals playing pinball and bringing cans of soda and the fact he didn't have to speak one word makes it an even easier more enjoyable outing for him. The rest of the characters are pretty rubbish but that doesn't matter it's all about Nicholas Cage and his whacking stick :lol:

The song the mechanical animals keep singing is a tune like in Halloween III that stick in your brain and haunts your sleep :lol:

A strange and wonderful time.

Dave Boy 3rd October 2022 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 676658)
Hammer House of Horror: The Thirteenth Reunion (1980)

That's my favorite episode of the series. :nod:

Attachment 242456
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (1981)

One of the classic movie posters of the 1980s slasher movies. I remember when the poster ad was in the newspapers.
Some good kill scenes such as the motorbike wheel, weightlifter and most notable, the shish kebab scene. The kills are very quick as the scenes cut away fast to the next scene. At 1hr 50mins the running time seems quite long for a slasher movie but it rattles along at a good pace to it's crazy ending.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2022 12:23 PM

October 2nd

1 Attachment(s)
Pay the Ghost (2015)

The divisive but to me brilliant Nicolas Cage reels it all in for Pay the Ghost in what is a somewhat subdued performance from the great man. In fact the film as a whole is rather subdued.

It's a slow burner and the first half hour is all in the acting hands of Cage and co-star Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead) as the couple deal with the loss of their son and the devastating effect it has on their marriage. Playing out as a mystery about missing children in New York City it then takes a left turn at the half way point as elements of the supernatural and the Celtic festival of Samhain begin to take precedence, which took the film into whole new mystical territories.

Thankfully Pay the Ghost isn't the usual FX fest riddled with musical jump scares, the CGI is kept to a minimum and really only comes in towards the end but it brings a nightmare scenario featuring ghostly children to life rather than anything else.

I always enjoy Pay the Ghost, it's creepy and holds my attention throughout whilst the Halloween mythology ensures it gets semi regular viewings during these October Horror Marathons.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2022 12:33 PM

October 2nd

1 Attachment(s)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)

Upon entering his fiancée's family mansion, a man discovers a family curse and fears that his future brother-in-law has entombed his bride-to-be prematurely.

I don't know why but i just can't get over excited by this Roger Corman, Edgar Allan Poe production. Despite it being beautifully Gothic, delightfully atmospheric and lushly photographed with a silky purring performance by Vincent Price, i find it for the most part quite boring, especially the middle third. It doesn't help that Price's co-stars (Mark Damon, Myrna Fahey and Harry Ellerbe) seem ill suited to the Gothic horror genre especially when you compare them to the kind of co-stars Hammer were treating us to in their new Gothic shockers.

Admittedly the finale works rather well. The action when it arrives is intense, Corman uses the burning old house as another character, in fact it's the films best one after Price as heat from the engulfing flames almost melts the screen as the fire rages and the old house begins to crumble around the Usher name.

Frankie Teardrop 3rd October 2022 03:07 PM

HALLOWEEN 2 – Over the years I’ve noticed a general eye-rolling tendency at the mention of Rob Zombie’s ‘Halloween 2’, a film which left me feeling slightly enthralled when I saw it around the time of its release. Whenever anyone dissed it, I’d hear myself start to mutter… “Philistines – you just can’t imagine that Michael Myers can exist in a film with a ghostly horse.”… grrr. I never bothered to watch it again because I’m smug like that. OK, 13 years later and I’m coming clean – I had myself a rewatch the other day and, well, I didn’t like it. The movie I’d been carrying around in my head since 2009 was like an MTV video-esque dream of dry ice, slow motion and ghostly horses, full of carnivalesque slaying and nightmare surrealism. That movie, the one in my head, turns out to be a much better remake than RZ’s… what had I been taking all those years ago? The truth is, ‘Halloween 2’ de facto is basically just a fairly run-of-the-mill 2000s slasher flick with a few thrown-in weird bits, some of which involve a ghostly horse. The climbdown sucks, but now I know. Taken as it is it’s not that bad, but then neither was the first RZ 'Halloween' remake from 2007, a film I often profess to hate. In its favour are a few obvious pros, such as a bit of gore, a generally overcast and gloomy atmosphere, and, although it’s not around all that often, a ghostly horse. But when I put it on the other day, even little things rankled – baggy pacing, annoying Malcolm McDowell, characters who sounded like they should be hanging out in an indie record store in 1993 as opposed to gearing up to getting slashed in 2009. I can see the seeds that got me worked up and fascinated all those years ago, but they’d grown something in my mind that wasn’t there on the screen. This is always a bit of a worry for me, incidentally – how many films, living inside us as cherished memories, would survive the purge of a re-viewing? That’s one reason why I rarely watch films more than once. My loss either way, ultimately. Anyway – ‘Halloween 2’ by Rob Zombie – should’ve had more ghostly horse in it (but I reckon it’s still better than ‘The Munsters’, a film I’m very unlikely to ever watch).

Justin101 3rd October 2022 03:38 PM

I watched RZ's Halloween last year for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I was keen to get onto RZH2 but the very scathing reviews had made me nervous to try it, you haven't helped it's cause, but I have the feeling I'll still get to it eventually.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 676692)
I watched RZ's Halloween last year for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I was keen to get onto RZH2 but the very scathing reviews had made me nervous to try it, you haven't helped it's cause, but I have the feeling I'll still get to it eventually.

Zombie's Halloween is excellent for the first hour. The second part less so when it's just a fumbling around in the dark slasher. On the whole i do like it and would get it on Blu. It's a 6.5-7 / 10.

Halloween 2 is pretty poor. It's okay i guess until the horse arrives then it just turns to shit. :lol: If i saw it in Cex i know i'd buy it. :rolleyes: :lol:

Having said that both films are miles better than that Blumhouse garbage from a few years ago. I haven't seen the second which is supposedly even worse so God knows how bad the upcoming final installment is.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd October 2022 05:38 PM

1st October-One of my all time favourites,Carpenter's finest hour,THE FOG.

2nd October-A wee marathon,started off with....

EVIL DEAD remake on 4k and unrated.
Now anyone who knows me,knows I usually despise remakes,but this was very enjoyable indeed with the Scream Factory 4k disc looking and sounding amazing.
However,original remains best.

THE WOMAN IN BLACK.
Harry Potter's finest hour a great ghost story and testament to Radcliffe's acting ability that he can keep us glued to the screen for long periods and not utter a word.

SLEEPY HOLLOW
Continued with the gothic in one of the best films of the twilight of the millenium....

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2022 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 676695)
1st October-One of my all time favourites,Carpenter's finest hour,THE FOG.

2nd October-A wee marathon,started off with....

EVIL DEAD remake on 4k and unrated.
Now anyone who knows me,knows I usually despise remakes,but this was very enjoyable indeed with the Scream Factory 4k disc looking and sounding amazing.
However,original remains best.

THE WOMAN IN BLACK.
Harry Potter's finest hour a great ghost story and testament to Radcliffe's acting ability that he can keep us glued to the screen for long periods and not utter a word.

SLEEPY HOLLOW
Continued with the gothic in one of the best films of the twilight of the millenium....

Which Sleepy Hollow release do you have, Reaps?