Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2022, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Children Of The Corn II: The Final Sacrafice. 1992.

A reporter and his son travel to the town of Gatlin unbeknown to them that a group of the town's children follow a cult leader and drives them to murder.

They say it's the final sacrifice but how many sequels were made after this?? filmed 8 years after the release of the first film so gonna assume this one starts of where the previous film finished and a journalist looking for his big break but gets more than he bargained for. At times the acting may not be that great but does make up at points with the killings especially with the church scene and a voodoo doll and the old granny in the wheelchair was a bit comical.

Children_of_the_Corn_II_video_poster.jpg

Up next Jason Goes To Hell
Old 13th October 2022, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Ghost house (1988)

Have to say I really enjoyed this a man picks up a strange single of eerie voices and screaming so like anyone would be goes of too investigate with his girlfriend the follow the signal to a abandoned house, while there they meet some other people , these people sound like the voices that had been heard.

Soon people start seeing a creepy girl and her creepy clown doll and then the gruesome killings start. Some great gory kills and unnerving feel to the movie.
This one I enjoyed even though it has bad acting with the guy asking the ghost who it is
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 13th October 2022, 09:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 12th

The Shining (1980)

Watching the 144 minute US cut for the first time felt more like reading Stephen King's novel which looks at the dysfunctional family / abusive father aspects more than the shorter international cut of the film ever did and proves a more satisfying experience. However it's still not a patch on the novel which is for this reviewer his best work.

Starring Shelley Duvall, young Danny Lloyd and Jack Nicholson - who appears f*cking unhinged well before the Overlook gets it's clutches into him - and directed by Stanley Kubrick who effectively chills the viewer rather than shocks in a work of stealthy discomfort rather than any sort of blood and guts horror popular at the time.

The Elstree studio set is stunning, the Overlook Hotel is magnificent in it's design, Kubrick uses a gliding steadicam throughout and produces some amazing shots both indoor and outdoor that are as crazy (In a good way) as Nicholson's performance is disturbing even though at times he verges on the hammy.

I never enjoyed the film until i re-read the novel a few years ago. Shelley Duvall was always kinda' off putting but i'm getting used to her now and her performance no longer grates with me like finger nails down a chalk board. Last night was my best watch yet thanks to the gorgeous Blu-ray image quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51wVhTD108L._AC_.jpg (34.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th October 2022, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Shining (1980)

Watching the 144 minute US cut for the first time felt more like reading Stephen King's novel which looks at the dysfunctional family / abusive father aspects more than the shorter international cut of the film ever did and proves a more satisfying experience. However it's still not a patch on the novel which is for this reviewer his best work.

Starring Shelley Duvall, young Danny Lloyd and Jack Nicholson - who appears f*cking unhinged well before the Overlook gets it's clutches into him - and directed by Stanley Kubrick who effectively chills the viewer rather than shocks in a work of stealthy discomfort rather than any sort of blood and guts horror popular at the time.

The Elstree studio set is stunning, the Overlook Hotel is magnificent in it's design, Kubrick uses a gliding steadicam throughout and produces some amazing shots both indoor and outdoor that are as crazy (In a good way) as Nicholson's performance is disturbing even though at times he verges on the hammy.

I never enjoyed the film until i re-read the novel a few years ago. Shelley Duvall was always kinda' off putting but i'm getting used to her now and her performance no longer grates with me like finger nails down a chalk board. Last night was my best watch yet thanks to the gorgeous Blu-ray image quality.

Anyone would be unhinged being married to Duvalls character in this!

Nothing like she is in the book.
Old 13th October 2022, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday. 1993.

Yay the final Friday thank god they didn't carry on the franchise and we can lay Jason to rest...who am I kidding we know the makers wanted Jason back for a finale whether we wanted it or not and the execs gave us it.

Jason is blown up, his heart still beats and begins to possess people, the power of Christ will not help them even with their bad acting or did some people think they be in a comedy?? Second time watching this, first time was on VHS and it never got any better for me.

mpw_59123.jpeg

Up next Jason X
Old 14th October 2022, 12:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jason X. 2001.

After numerous attempts (possible 3) I can now say I have watched this film all the way through, you may ask yourself, how did he do it this time? My answer is coffee and chocolate and uttering those four magic words...It Will Get Better...did it heck.

When Rowan was telling her tale on how they tried to kill Jason, stabbing, shooting, electrocution, I found myself saying what about beheading while he is down, that seems to work in other movies. This has one decent kill (think we all know what that one is). Was the character Waylander a nod to the Alien company Wayland? If so I bet they would know how to kill Jason. This one is certainly getting laid to rest.

jason-x-cover.jpg

Up next Grizzly.
Old 14th October 2022, 02:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Grizzly. 1976.

A 18ft Grizzly bear attacks a state park.

Jaws was a film that made us fear of the water, William Girdler thought we can do something better and make people fear going camping and do a film about that and managed to pull something decent off as well as someone's arm in the film

Christopher George and Richard Jaeckel play the total opposite of tracking down the bear with Andrew Prine as a somewhat Native American protecting the land that has remained untouched in years. You can tell when the bear is real and when it isn't with the close up of the front and the back but at times the bear seems to change colour from brown to black, continuity in a movie can be hard to achieve Made on a budget that became a good successful film its certainly a cheese fest entertainment.

MV5BMTkzODM5MTI3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDcyNzA0MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Up next Grizzly II.
Old 14th October 2022, 03:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Grizzly II: Revenge. 1983.

A giant Grizzly reacting to the killings by poachers attacks a park where a concert is being played.

Ok the makers tried to do what they can with this, there is three main stars in this George, Laura and Charlie, these are mere cameo roles for them. Louise Fletcher (R.I.P) plays someone from the American embassy...I think. John Rhys Davies is the Native American in this who understands the bear.

The acting is certainly not that great, at times I thought it looked dubbed in some places, they did some good close ups of the bear like the previous but at one point it looked like a wolf from the back. There is some good music playing from the band on stage during the attack that nobody actually realises whats going on. I'm pretty sure they used stock footage from Jaws 2 and how they managed to kill the bear I must have blinked and missed it. This is the catergory adding for so bad it's good

51Mw0cgTBCL._AC_.jpg

Not sure what be next to watch
Old 14th October 2022, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran

Catch-Up Time Again

The Phantom of the Opera (1962)

Hammer's go at the classic story. They have set it in London rather than Paris and have used a theatre in Wimbledon as the Opera house, budgetary constraints I guess. Which leads me onto the fact that this is quite without threat and certainly lacking violence. Apparently the studio spent so much to get the film into production that they needed to make loads of money in cinemas and opted for getting an A rating rather than the usual X.

That being said, I still really enjoyed this. It's still a thrilling story and great cast. Michael Gough being particularly slimy as our villain of the piece.

It's well worth a watch in my opinion!

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

I've seen this at least 20 times but last night was the first time I've seen it on the big screen. There was a weird audience in the Liverpool Odeon, old ladies, hardcore horror fans, teenagers, drunk people. It was quite rowdy all through the trailers but everyone shut up and watched when the film came on.

Poor Keanu, he was dragged through the wringer for this performance, and yes it is a bit rubbish, but Jonathan Harker is also a bit of a rubbish character so it doesn't really matter. Everybody else is pulling their weight and making up for Keanu doing his best plank of wood delivery

Van Helsing got some audience laughs too, "I want to cut off her head and remove her heart"

Halloween Ends (Thank God) (2022)

I don't think the spoiler tags work if you're using the app so don't read ahead if you care about the plot!

SPOILER:
It's the Friday the 13th part 5 of the Halloween franchise.

I've got very mixed feelings, it's far better than '...Kills' is, but then there are still some proper eye roll moments such as that ending, wtf? And Laurie apparently 'getting over' what has been depicted as 40 years of trauma in 4 years and is even seen carving a pumpkin and laughing about a Halloween party...

Also the majority of the running time isn't about Michael and Laurie is less involved in the plot, thankfully, but she's still there and this time she has narration!

The bullying subplot was fairly interesting and the scene at the junk yard was good fun as well. However, I did find myself reaching for my phone for a little browse multiple times so the film is not fully engaging.

Finally, yes, I might have the hots for Corey, so what if he stabbed a few people?!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2022, 05:01 PM
Cult Veteran

This is based on the scores I gave the films on Letterboxd, apparently I liked 5 better than 4 which I don't think can be right will rewatch them both next week I think, I haven't watched either since the blurays came out in 2012...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!