Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Frankie Teardrop 14th October 2022 05:17 PM

SPEAK NO EVIL – Good manners might cost everything in ‘Speak No Evil’, a film that uses the comedy of the cringe as a springboard into darkly biblical waters. A Danish couple abroad meet some new Dutch friends and, thinking they’re in for a weekend of cultured chat and civilised outdoorseyness, accept an invitation over to the wilds of Holland. It doesn’t go to plan. The poor Danes find that the Dutch couple’s household is a battleground of painfully feigned politeness, boundary-pushing and mind games, all of which will either make you leer with delight or wince in recognition. But hold on… the silent (because tongueless) child lurking on the side-lines should alert the canny viewer to the cloud of full-on horror that’s starting to brew. Let’s just say that if you winced during the build-up then you’re bound to when you reach the film’s ultimate reel, which, despite almost fairy-tale shades, is bleak to the point of devastating. A fine movie about nasty people, and strangely enough for this day and age it has a moral… “And if you tolerate this, your children will be next” as The Manics once sang etc.

Justin101 14th October 2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 677245)
SPEAK NO EVIL – Good manners might cost everything in ‘Speak No Evil’, a film that uses the comedy of the cringe as a springboard into darkly biblical waters. A Danish couple abroad meet some new Dutch friends and, thinking they’re in for a weekend of cultured chat and civilised outdoorseyness, accept an invitation over to the wilds of Holland. It doesn’t go to plan. The poor Danes find that the Dutch couple’s household is a battleground of painfully feigned politeness, boundary-pushing and mind games, all of which will either make you leer with delight or wince in recognition. But hold on… the silent (because tongueless) child lurking on the side-lines should alert the canny viewer to the cloud of full-on horror that’s starting to brew. Let’s just say that if you winced during the build-up then you’re bound to when you reach the film’s ultimate reel, which, despite almost fairy-tale shades, is bleak to the point of devastating. A fine movie about nasty people, and strangely enough for this day and age it has a moral… “And if you tolerate this, your children will be next” as The Manics once sang etc.

I've wanted to give this a watch, I think I'll get around to it this weekend, but after Halloween Ends I think I need to watch an 'old faithful' tonight, something like Scream 2 :lol:

Frankie Teardrop 14th October 2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 677247)
I've wanted to give this a watch, I think I'll get around to it this weekend, but after Halloween Ends I think I need to watch an 'old faithful' tonight, something like Scream 2 :lol:

It's really good, definitely worth a watch at some point. I was surprised by how nasty it got at the end, after it had been quite a good laugh (in a way)!

MrBarlow 14th October 2022 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
World War Z. 2013.

A former U.N. worker travels the world to stop a zombie pandemic that's sweeping across the globe.

What seems to be a normal family start of the day with Brad Pitt then 10 minutes later we are thrown into the chaos with the fight for supplies and survival. The film is way different from the book and is told in flashbacks rather than starting at the beginning of the war against zombies that have a sense of who is perfect for munching on and who isn't. This one I didn't think it be great but I was wrong.

Attachment 242661

Up next Black Water.

MrBarlow 14th October 2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 677247)

Go for something old school like Peter Jackson's Bad Taste or Brain Dead :skull:

Justin101 14th October 2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 677250)
Go for something old school like Peter Jackson's Bad Taste or Brain Dead :skull:

I kick arse for the lord (in a kiwi accent) :lol:

MrBarlow 14th October 2022 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 677251)
I kick arse for the lord (in a kiwi accent) :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhs5LCNTFY :skull::skull:

MrBarlow 14th October 2022 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Black Water. 2007.

3 people venture for a trip to the backwater swamps of Australia, when their boat capsizes they are being stalked by a crocodile.

Based on a true story that happened back in 2003, this was a blind watch for me seeing as there is only 5 actors listed can it be good? The film makers did do a good job and not rely on CGI, the actors must have went through a lot and being filmed on location in different areas and some good blood effects used but it was a slow burner.

Attachment 242666

Will give the second one a watch

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2022 08:44 PM

October 13th

1 Attachment(s)
Twins of Evil (1971)

The third and final film in Hammer's Karnstein trilogy (The Vampire Lovers (1970) and Lust for a Vampire (1971) being the other two films) and again penned by Tudor Gates, is one of Hammer's bleakest movies.

The story involving the vampire Mircalla is again loosely based on the 1872 novella Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu. Here Mircalla is brought back to life in a sacrificial rite by Damien Thomas's Count Karnstein who is then turned into a vampire by the resurrected vamp. Karnstein then takes a shine to Peter Cushing's nieces as played by the Collinson twins Mary and Madeleine and proceedings really begin to get bloody and sexy.

For once Hammer blurs the boundaries between good and evil. Peter Cushing is on top form and playing against type as the hypocritical head of a puritan brotherhood, Gustav Veil, and is happy to put to death any young woman suspected of being a witch, vampire or basically anything other than a god fearing puritan. Veil is certainly reminiscent of Vincent Price's Matthew Hopkins from 1968's Witchfinder General and even comes to a similar end with an axe in the back.

It's this blurring that gives the movie it's grim tone, or at least that and the gory deaths, such as Dennis Price having his throat ripped open for instance.

John Hough directs with stylish verve and the film looks fantastic, whilst the the Collinson twins certainly provide the film with glamour and sex appeal, and the score from composer Harry Robertson is one of the best ever heard in a British horror film.

I love Twins of Evil. It combines so many motifs of classic Gothic horror - vampires, satanic cults, witch hunts, gloomy castles, dark woods, huge dollops of atmosphere, gore, mild erotica and of course a stand out performance from Peter Cushing.

Seeing the film on Network's Blu-ray for the first time last night was a joyous occasion.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2022 08:50 PM

October 13th

1 Attachment(s)
Terrifier (2016)

A feature length return of the crazed Art the clown, first seen so brilliantly in All Hallows Eve (2013).

Low budget most certainly but a hell of a lot better and sicker than you might expect, Terrifier is classic violent fun.

Although Art is a fun and twisted character the film really lacks anyone to root for in the good guy / gal adversary stakes as Art brutally murders everyone he comes across. Having said that, when you've just seen good old Art saw a naked girl hanging from the ceiling completely in two in graphic detail then who cares?

This was my third or fourth watch and i can't wait to see Terrifier 2 in a week or so,