Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2022, 02:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default The Slumber Party Massacre

THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE (1982)

High school girls throw a slumber party, and are besieged by an escaped lunatic trying to murder them all.

The Slumber Party Massacre is an anomaly within the slasher genre, in that it’s made by a women. Amy Holden Jones directs, while noted feminist Rita Mae Brown is the screenwriter. In a genre noted for the male gaze, do Jones and Brown deliver a film that offers a unique perspective?

Nah! They’re just as sleazy as the men. The Slumber Party Massacre features breasts, weed, and women getting drilled. As in penetrated by a big power drill that the killer wields between his legs. Get it?

The Slumber Party Massacre does have a little more to chew on than the average slasher. The female characters are a bit better written than the average slasher chicks. Although they are not necessarily better acted. The killer being a male wielding a phallic weapon would leave Freud sniggering, especially when he is defeated when somebody snaps it in two. And there is a sense of humour that, while not as satirical as Wes Craven’s work, is at least self-aware.

Beyond those points of interest though, The Slumber Party Massacre is standard slasher fare. It’s not bad, as Jones demonstrates some flair in her direction, and Brown’s dialogue is trashy without being cringy. It moves at a decent pace. I was never looking at my clock to see how long was left. That said, the kills are not particularly inspired or memorable. I’m guessing they called it a day when they gave the killer a power drill. Ironically, despite not wearing a mask, the killer is more faceless than Jason and Michael Myers. And the plotting does resort to contrivances in the final act.

Thankfully, the film doesn’t overstay its welcome. Besides the catchy title, The Slumber Party Massacre is an unmemorable slasher that is elevated thanks to solid direction and surprisingly good characterisation.
Old 17th October 2022, 08:14 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 16

df9slvf-982052f9-0ba0-4b7a-869b-34478c5f5c32.jpg

To avoid spoilers I'll keep this short and sweet.

This was S**t

Thank you and good night

Nothing about this film makes any sense absolutely nothing it's shockingly bad it's only a Halloween film by name and the final 15 or 20 minutes. None of the decisions anyone makes in the film makes sense even how certain people come together makes no sense. Just a horrible horrible film and such a terrible way to end the franchise. The acting is much better than kills but at least that was a Halloween film as much as I hated it it was still a Halloween film.

The kills are good I'll give it that much and Michaels Mask looks great apart from that it's all negative film wise.The soundtrack is amazing as always thank you John Carpenter

I'm a big fan of Danny McBride but he should stick to making me laugh and not making me angry.

I cant recommend the film but I can't say avoid at all costs because it needs to be seen to be believed hope stupid and pointless this film is.
Old 17th October 2022, 09:58 AM
Cult Veteran

For all the reasons you didn’t like the film I did. But, I agree it’s not a Halloween film. I actually liked the first hour quite a lot, it’s was when it started being a Halloween film that I started getting twitchy and that final post showdown scene, honestly, I cringed so bad.

That being said, it’s over. It truly has ended for sure now, no going back.

I’ll be sticking with the RZ duology going forward. Or at least the H1, H2, H20 timeline lol.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th October 2022, 10:04 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
For all the reasons you didn’t like the film I did. But, I agree it’s not a Halloween film. I actually liked the first hour quite a lot, it’s was when it started being a Halloween film that I started getting twitchy and that final post showdown scene, honestly, I cringed so bad.

That being said, it’s over. It truly has ended for sure now, no going back.

I’ll be sticking with the RZ duology going forward. Or at least the H1, H2, H20 timeline lol.
If it wasn't a Halloween film the first hour would of been ok but we should of gotten a proper conclusion Michael deserved that much as strange as that sounds but you get what I'm saying.

Also where the hell did that I Hop you Find Love line come from
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 17th October 2022, 11:14 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've just read the synopsis on Wiki for Halloween Ends. I'm never going to see it so who cares.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!!!

So let me get this straight. Michael dies because Laurie slits his throat?

Really!

Not when Loomis puts six bullets in him and he falls off a balcony in the first film?

Nor when he burns to death at the end of Halloween II

Not when the townsfolk put hundreds of bullets in him and he falls down a mine shaft in Halloween 4?

Not when Tommy pummels his head to a mulch and then Loomis goes back to finish the job in Halloween 6?
Old 17th October 2022, 11:29 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've just read the synopsis on Wiki for Halloween Ends. I'm never going to see it so who cares.

So let me get this straight. Michael dies because Laurie slits his throat?

Really!

Not when Loomis puts six bullets in him and he falls off a balcony in the first film?

Nor when he burns to death at the end of Halloween II

Not when the townsfolk put hundreds of bullets in him and he falls down a mine shaft in Halloween 4?

Not when Tommy pummels his head to a mulch and then Loomis goes back to finish the job in Halloween 6?
ALSO SPOILERS

No, he dies when she also slashes his wrists it's such a bad demise. I'm guessing it's supposed to be cathartic for her to get over the trauma of it all. But it's very anti-climactic which is why the next part of the scene happens which had me eye-rolling into next week. I'm sure that was also in the synopsis but I'm referring to the Haddonfield City Dump.

Old 17th October 2022, 11:35 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
ALSO SPOILERS

No, he dies when she also slashes his wrists it's such a bad demise. I'm guessing it's supposed to be cathartic for her to get over the trauma of it all. But it's very anti-climactic which is why the next part of the scene happens which had me eye-rolling into next week. I'm sure that was also in the synopsis but I'm referring to the Haddonfield City Dump.

Haha yes. It definitely ended....until someone says

"Remember how shit those last three Halloween films were?"

"Let's make another one that ignores all those and continues where Halloween 4 left off."
Old 17th October 2022, 11:40 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Haha yes. It definitely ended....until someone says

"Remember how shit those last three Halloween films were?"

"Let's make another one that ignores all those and continues where Halloween 4 left off."

The timeline/inspiration for these three are so confusing I don’t know what they’re playing at! But that’s it, I never have to watch them again it’s done.

One thing that has come out of all of this, I’ve realised that as a whole I don’t really like the franchise as much as I thought, and I definitely enjoy the Jason and Freddy films more.

There are still some standout films though and some crap but still good ones haha.
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 17th October 2022, 11:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Christ, the reaction this new Halloween is getting makes me really want to see it. While I didn't hate Kills (as entertaining as it is stupid), the negative reception was based on sloppy storytelling.

This new one is pissing off people, and confounding others. Even if it's a failure, it sounds like they took a swing at something, and I love that type of ambition.

Why isn't this getting released in Japan when Kills did?
Old 17th October 2022, 11:42 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

This doesn’t happen in the producers cut version! So many alternate timelines it’s so confusing haha.

Like this? Share it using the links below!