All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2022, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Christ, the reaction this new Halloween is getting makes me really want to see it. While I didn't hate Kills (as entertaining as it is stupid), the negative reception was based on sloppy storytelling.

This new one is pissing off people, and confounding others. Even if it's a failure, it sounds like they took a swing at something, and I love that type of ambition.

Why isn't this getting released in Japan when Kills did?

It went to streaming on the same day as cinema so if you want to see it there are ways. It’s an interesting idea and it is worth watching but it also would have been better if Laurie Strode wasn’t in it and the film was slightly different.

It’s been marketed as this big showdown and grand conclusion but in reality it’s a 10 minute scene at the end of a film that wasn’t about that.
MacBlayne and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th October 2022, 11:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It went to streaming on the same day as cinema so if you want to see it there are ways. It’s an interesting idea and it is worth watching but it also would have been better if Laurie Strode wasn’t in it and the film was slightly different.

It’s been marketed as this big showdown and grand conclusion but in reality it’s a 10 minute scene at the end of a film that wasn’t about that.
Oh, I found the other means. It's just that I was given vouchers for free cinema tickets. I would love to see this on the big screen. 2018 didn't get a proper release here either.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 17th October 2022, 02:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Malignant

MALIGNANT

Old 17th October 2022, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran

ahah I laughed at the Ryker meme a little too much, I've not seen Malignant yet but I'm guessing it was good

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th October 2022, 02:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
MALIGNANT

I noticed the 4K Ultra HD of this is in the 3 for £30 offer at HMV and thought it sounded interesting, though it seems to have mixed reviews from critics and cinemagoers.
Old 17th October 2022, 02:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I noticed the 4K Ultra HD of this is in the 3 for £30 offer at HMV and thought it sounded interesting, though it seems to have mixed reviews from critics and cinemagoers.
I can't say you'll like it, but it's unlike anything in the last decade or even 20 years, and it'll be another 20 years before the studios allow something like this again.

Basically, Warner Brothers gave James Wan a blank cheque, and he ran with it.
Old 17th October 2022, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
ahah I laughed at the Ryker meme a little too much, I've not seen Malignant yet but I'm guessing it was good
I noticed it was £6.99 on Amazon so have had it in my basket once or twice. Might give it a go in my Xmas Horror Marathon of all new films.
Old 17th October 2022, 04:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BLACK GLASSES – I doubt many will see this as a fabulous return to form, but if you squint for a while it might seem daft enough to be entertaining. Ilenia Pastorelli is a prostitute who ends up on the receiving end when a serial killer decides to up the ante with an RTA. The resulting crash blinds her and orphans a kid – what follows is possibly the most bizarre ‘buddy’ movie ever after she befriends the de-parented child and the two unite with a trusty guide dog against the bad dude. Argento throws in some odd references to his previous work including an inversion of the fate of the blind piano tutor from ‘Suspiria’, only this time we're treated to a full-throttle throat mauling. Not that it’s a particularly bloody film – there’s not even that much horror if you discount the usual hand wringing. That might disappoint anyone in search of brutality from the old days, but there’s still plenty of low-key strangeness for those with a hankering for the off-beat, including vaguely dream-like forest escapades, random snake attacks and a killer whose only identity is that he’s a bit smelly. Other than that, ‘Black Glasses’ is an OK thriller. I can’t say I was enthralled, but at least Argento’s giving slightly freer rein to his wacky imagination.
Old 17th October 2022, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 16th.

The Fog (1979)

John Carpenter's ghostly masterpiece is an exercise in creating and sustaining terror.

From Adrienne Barbeau's terrific performance as DJ Stevee Wayne whose sensual tones ease you into the film before becoming more frantic as events unfold, to Carpenter's eerie, rumbling score, and then there's that spooky campfire tale told by old Mr. Machen on the stroke of midnight on the 21st April (Only a few months out this year with my viewing) which immediately draws you into the terrifying possibilities of what is to come. The ghostly mariners look genuinely frightening in the swirling fog.

A fine cast, excellent practical great effects and some of the best widescreen 2.35 : 1 photography in horror cinema culminate in one of my favourite horror films ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c422b8489d05a9d33a992a45a5b762088bb491fb.jpg (79.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th October 2022, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Feast II: Sloppy Seconds. 2008.

The monsters that attacked the bar head to a nearby town where people battle it out to survive the onslaught.

This one seems to kick it up a notch, direct to video movie John Gulager certainly holds nothing back with the kills and the gore factor. Clu Gulager does a number on a lass who left him, two midget wrestlers Thunder and Lightning do a little rooftop wrestling over what should happen to Grandma. It does have a lot of black humour in this and a small bit of karma, just as you think someone manages to escape we get hit with a curve ball. Certainly entertaining.

p188917_v_v8_ac.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!