Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2014, 11:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

What did you think of Black Swan, Dem? Was this the first time you've seen it? I watched that one in the cinema and my initial assessment was that it was a mini masterpiece but I haven't revisited it since.
Old 15th October 2014, 09:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
What did you think of Black Swan, Dem? Was this the first time you've seen it? I watched that one in the cinema and my initial assessment was that it was a mini masterpiece but I haven't revisited it since.
You need to get stuck into this thread Jinx. https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/hor...ntly-2987.html

I reviewed it 2 days ago. It should be the second post down on the linked page.

It was my first viewing, by the way.
Jinx_Barkman likes this.
Old 15th October 2014, 09:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I swear I looked in that thread before asking that and didn't see it.

14. The Innocents

Okay, shamed confession time. I've never seen The Innocents despite hearing wonderful things about it for a very long time. I don't know why I never watched it. I guess, as they say, procrastination is the thief of time. Anyway, it certainly didn't disappoint. This film was captivating from beginning to end with just enough of a menacing tone that lurks in the first act to keep you feeling uneasy. The second act is a little more playful while maintaining a slight subtext that carries into the third act where things begin to come unraveled. There is something that emanates from within this film that made me feel claustrophobic and I think that is partly due to the superb cinematography which encapsulated the edges of the frame in a subtle vignetting. Truly a marvelous film and one I will seek to revisit often. Criterion's blu-ray is seemingly perfect in replicating the stark, monochromatic contrast of celluloid.
Old 15th October 2014, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Loving the daily reviews Jinx.

Nice work.
Old 15th October 2014, 10:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Me too, the reviews are small and easy to digest.... Just how my wife likes it
Jinx_Barkman likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 16th October 2014, 06:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Me too, the reviews are small and easy to digest.... Just how my wife likes it
Thanks guys. My plan is to revisit this thread each year. Well, if we're all still here that is.

15. The Evil Dead (Original)

The Evil Dead, say the title and it evokes excitement, even in the most jaded horror fan's heart. To borrow a phrase from a friend, this is the quintessential "splatter punk" horror. Once this film hits the accelerator it never falters from it's break neck pace which twists us along in a foggy whirlwind of demonic possession, grisly gore and even a tree raping poor Cheryl. Of course, most everyone who reads this will have seen the film many times so this is nothing new.

In what could have been just another B horror film, Sam Raimi turned this into a doctrine for how to make an effective low budget horror film with invigorating spirit and inventive cinematography. The crude special effects, rigid acting and, most importantly, misty exteriors all contribute to the film's atmosphere. I think the most unsettling scene for me is when Linda is sitting in a doorway in the center of the frame with that inexplicable grin plastered on her face. Something about her adolescent behavior just hasn't sat right with me from the first time I watched this. Give me this film over Raimi's later, crummy, ultra budget super hero efforts any day.
Old 16th October 2014, 08:24 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Funnily enough, I also watched The Evil Dead last night, but love it for most of the reasons you don't!

I love that Ash is such an ineffective character for most of the running time, becoming trapped under a flimsy shelf unit, being unwilling to face the truth and dismember those around him who are clearly possessed. As far as I'm concerned, he is basically the 'everyman' as, in the same situation, most of us wouldn't grab an axe or chainsaw and massacre everyone around us!
Jinx_Barkman and keirarts like this.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Interesting Nos. Believe it or not I was actually going to go into that but I wanted to keep it brief and concise so I chose to wrap it up instead of having three or more paragraphs. Reading it again, exploring the subtle nuances of the film probably would have benefited the mini review.
Old 17th October 2014, 05:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

16. Trick Or Treat

Part 3 of my repressed high school horror viewing. (EvilSpeak, Fear No Evil) I don't really have many comments on this one other than it's a fun, energetic, rock n roll horror film that you can watch with your brain switched off. I do suppose there is a fairly blatant message that can be read about idolizing celebrities but I just choose to watch it for what it is.

It truly feels like the filmmakers had an authentic passion about the music they were making the film about and never make it a novelty act despite interjecting some comedy relief. I've dug this film since the first time I watched it which coincidentally was when I was in high school and sort of a metal head like Eddie in the film. If there is one negative I can find it is the fact that I don't feel like they established the autumn/Halloween atmosphere very well. It's really only a minor quibble though. Killer soundtrack that I'm proud to say I own on vinyl. Rock n roll, steal your soul!
Old 17th October 2014, 07:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

My viewing so far has been.

1st - Hallowed Ground
2nd - Happy Hell Night
3rd - Corridors of Blood
4th - Madison County
5th - Prophecy
6th - Samhain / Isle of the Dead
7th - Devils of Darkness
8th - Witchcraft
9th - Halloween Resurrection / Frankenstein meets the Wolfman
10th - The Seventh Sign
11th - The Haunting of Bates Motel / The Fog
12th - Black Swan
13th - Idle Hands / The Old Dark House
(with Newman / Jones chat track)
14th - Halloween H20 / She-Wolf of London
15th - Halloween Night / The Devil Rides Out
16th - Intruder / I Walked with a Zombie (with Newman / Jones chat track)

Like this? Share it using the links below!