Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2022, 12:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sinister 2. 2015.

A young mother and her twins sons living in a farm house that has been marked for death.

Second time seeing this and James Ransone and Nicholas King reprise their roles from the first, I guess they couldn't figure out what to call the deputy and is listed as Ex Deputy So & So...great creative writing there, but not so great on the plot.

We get the character build up on the family and somewhat on why she left her husband, the 8mm film reels are found and the two sons watch them summoning up children that the Boogey Man has taken. It has the dark tone atmosphere from the first one and some good acting from the young boys but just seems to lack the tension and suspense from the first one.

movieposter.jpg
Old 18th October 2022, 03:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pyramid. 2014.

A team try to uncover the secret of a lost pyramid.

Somewhat normal and found footage film, we are told a pyramid has four sides but why does the one found buried have three, it's not really the structure itself that's the mystery but why was it buried in the first place.

Inside the structure itself is like The Tardis, small on outside and as soon as you go in seems to be like a maze and then you find out why it was designed to be like that. The acting is good with Ashley Hinshaw and Denis O'Hare as the father and daughter team who want to know the secrets that is buried and James Buckley as their camera guy and Christa Nicola as the reporter covering the story. Some found footage films can be a hit or a miss, but this does a good dark atmosphere and tension in it and certainly worth a glance at.

p10911310_p_v8_ab.jpg
Old 18th October 2022, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I saw Halloween Ends.

I need some time to mull it over, but here is my ranking of the series.

1. Halloween (1979)
2. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
3. Halloween 2 (2009)
4. Halloween Ends
5. Halloween 2 (1981)
6. Halloween 4
7. Halloween H20
8. Halloween Kills
9. Halloween (2018)
10. Halloween (2007)
11. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
12. Halloween 5
13. Halloween: Resurrection

With the exception of Resurrection, they are all watchable, and I think the first three are great.
Old 18th October 2022, 04:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

KNOCKING – A woman leaves a psychiatric ward to take up residence in a block of flats. From somewhere in the building comes the sound of someone knocking… cue suspense when our new tenant tries to find out what’s going on. ‘Knocking’ is a well-made horror/thriller that uses its apartment setting to claustrophobic effect. There are vague echoes of the likes of ‘Repulsion’ in that the whole trope of the possible encroaching madness of an isolated woman is played upon, but never too clumsily, and the film benefits from a narrative that always stays slightly aloof and doesn’t spell things out. The atmosphere of murky tension is backed up by good cinematography that accentuates the bleakness of the main character’s condition, not to mention her interior décor, which is a bit on the sickly side. But then again, you should see mine. I’m kidding, my flat’s quite nice actually, and so it should be, it’s a bloody rip-off and means I have to resort to streaming instead of splurging on the real thing. Would I splurge on ‘Knocking’? Well, I liked it, I guess what it’s saying is ultimately quite familiar, but ‘Knocking’ is a deftly insidious slow-burn that knows how to coax its viewer into a state of unease.
Old 18th October 2022, 04:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 17

81yGaiNYXsL._RI_.jpg

The Drake family lives under the dark shadow of a curse places upon them many years ago by an ancient tribe. Under this curse all the male members of the family died on or close to their 60th birthday and their heads are all mysteriously missing just before burial but even more mysterious is that the skulls are returned to the family shortly after burial. The last remaining male returns to the family after his brother dies and hopes to stop the curse for good and save his own life.

I really love the story to this and the srunken heads all look like the person they came from I was just expecting some random srunken head that was a great surprise. The acting is all brilliant apart from Alison Drake who seems very wooden like she is reading the lines and the way she keeps pausing and looking about the place really leads me to believe I'm not wrong. Unfortunately it's pretty obvious right away who the killer is but there is still a little twist at the end that was pulled off really well and also looked great. A really enjoyable film that's pretty fast paced even if a couple of times someone is killed while another person is left live even with the knowledge of who the killer is and why they are doing it but I can overlook that little detail.
Old 18th October 2022, 06:18 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 18

MV5BMWUxOWRlNTEtYWU1OC00ZDViLWJlMGUtM2U1MGI1MjE3YTQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4ODM5Nw@@._V1_.jpg

Up in the Canadian mountain wilderness trio on a snowmobile trip take shelter in an abandoned hotel when a major snow storm hits. Inside they discover and old woman who lives with her son's but this isn't some run of the mill family.

Right off the bat two of the three main characters are complete dickhead ass holes and you want them dead right away the sort of people who didn't even need to talk to know you don't want to spend any time in their company what so ever but unfortunately for us they more than outstay their welcome. I loved the setting and the added feeling of isolation that the snow storm brings but they didn't build on it enough for me. Most of the film is spent with people slowly walking around in the dark aimlessly just holding lanterns and it fails to create any real tesnsion or suspence just eventually I started thinking of just walk bloody faster and get to where you are going. The old lady was sort of cool but still they didn't build her character enough. By the end of the film I was pretty bored off my head honestly there is a little twist at the end but I can't say it was a surprise it was sort of on the cards from early on really.

A missed opportunity.
Old 18th October 2022, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Feast III: The Happy Finish. 2009.

The survivors of the town try to survive a more onslaught with the help of a prophet who can control the monsters.

The Happy Finish...more like a F~@Ked up finish, seriously are we gonna get another one? These were a blind watch, I will admit the first one was really good, second one was ok with more humour, this was more humour than less gore, we are introduced to two more characters that we know will never survive. A guy with a pipe in his head...how did he manage to stay alive for so long but at least someone did find a use for it. Clu Gulager is certainly no Rambo with first aid. good for the laughs.

Feast_3_poster.jpg
Old 18th October 2022, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Years since I've seen this. As enjoyable as the new movies are, this I think is superior . Pennywise might look better in the movies but Currys performance is just so much better and more creepy.

Also think the cast is better. Just like the movies the kids bits are better than the adults part. One of the best King mini series.

Next up Death line. Mind the ****** doors!

Last edited by trebor8273; 18th October 2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 18th October 2022, 08:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 17th

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Not a patch on the fourth installment. How could it be when it loses one of that films star performers - Ellie Cornell - in the first half an hour leaving us with Donald Pleasence's Loomis who might be more deranged than Myers.

More of a run of the mill slasher with a loony finale than the haunting menace originally created by John Carpenter. However one or two of the kills are good fun but could someone please explain to me why each time we see the two cops we get goofy music accompanying them. It's really daft and doesn't work at all.

When you've suffered with Regan McNeill a few days prior seeing Danielle Harris having nightmares really doesn't add up to much and comes across more tedious than interesting.

I actually enjoyed both Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers and the detested by most Halloween: Resurrection more than this on yesterday's viewing. Still, it's better than that Blumhouse rubbish!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41202sXRauL._SY450_.jpg (27.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th October 2022, 08:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Splatter (Joe Dante)

Another trip to my mates, this time we just trawled here and there, eventually coming across this wee thing. A rock star's entourage finds no pot of gold at this will reading haha. A few familiar faces made this short a hoot imho. On the Netflix etc.

Panic (1966)

Mexican horror anthology anyone? 3 tales of torment and the like. Worth a look and tis on the YT.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!