Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2022, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beyond Re-Animator. 2003.

Herbert West is sent to prison for his experiments going wrong, 13 years later while incarcerated he decides to try his experiments with a new hospital doctor.

Jeffrey Combs returns as the eccentric Herbert West who never seems to learn that re-animating the dead is not a good thing and always ends badly and like the two films they can't be taken seriously yet they are entertaining. Dan Cain doesn't return which was a bit naff as Cain and West although disagreed on a few things almost became a comedy act at times. Although not as good as the previous films, it does take some going after the opening credits but certainly has the humour and quirky comments.

Beyond_Re-animator.jpg

Up next The Mutilator

Last edited by MrBarlow; 22nd October 2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 21st

Pumpkinhead (1988)

Stan Winston's terrific morality tale of a demon resurrected from hell by a witch to carry out vengeance is a horror classic that is often overlooked when it comes to 80's horror. Supremely atmospheric with fairytale like qualities and one of the greatest creature designs ever, Pumpkinhead is must see October viewing.

I manage to watch this every October and it's always hugely enjoyable. When Macfarlane Toys released their Movie Maniacs range in 1998/99 Pumpkinhead was the first one i bought. Not Jason, Leatherface, Michael Myers or Pinhead, Pumpkinhead.

If anyone's interested here's a nice article with images of the range.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...iacs-toy-line/
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Pumpkinhead (1988)

Stan Winston's terrific morality tale of a demon resurrected from hell by a witch to carry out vengeance is a horror classic that is often overlooked when it comes to 80's horror. Supremely atmospheric with fairytale like qualities and one of the greatest creature designs ever, Pumpkinhead is must see October viewing.

I manage to watch this every October and it's always hugely enjoyable. When Macfarlane Toys released their Movie Maniacs range in 1998/99 Pumpkinhead was the first one i bought. Not Jason, Leatherface, Michael Myers or Pinhead, Pumpkinhead.

If anyone's interested here's a nice article with images of the range.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...iacs-toy-line/
It would be nice to see this get a decent UK blu. I've got the old Tartan (?) disc and while it's watchable it is a film I think would have more impact watched with a decent HD print.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It would be nice to see this get a decent UK blu. I've got the old Tartan (?) disc and while it's watchable it is a film I think would have more impact watched with a decent HD print.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
I've ummed and arred over the Shout Blu all year but decided against it. The dvd looks fine really. Especially when it's against something that's twenty odd quid to buy.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mutilator. 1984.

A college student who accidentally killed his mother when he was young goes to his father's beach house to lock it up. soon after arriving they are being stalked and killed.

This is certainly a run of the mill low budget horror from the slasher craze 80s with a somewhat thin script and daft college kids making bad decisions, but that's what we like in slasher films. It is one of those films that we basically know who the killer is but how he chooses to kill is easy accessible with the usual handy dandy sharp tools that are around but never disappoints with the gore and blood. Still entertaining for me.

mutilator.jpg

Up next The The Devil A Daughter.
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadstream (2022)

Shudder FF malarkey.
A Youtuber stays overnight in a haunted house. Go on guess what happens
Enjoyed this far more than the VHS (though there is a dovetail with one of the better segments harumph) as he is a total buffoon and deserves all he gets. Whilst it's more of a comedy, there's some weirdness, so happy enough was the demon.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Beyond Re-Animator. 2003.

Herbert West is sent to prison for his experiments going wrong, 13 years later while incarcerated he decides to try his experiments with a new hospital doctor.

Jeffrey Combs returns as the eccentric Herbert West who never seems to learn that re-animating the dead is not a good thing and always ends badly and like the two films they can't be taken seriously yet they are entertaining. Dean Cain doesn't return which was a bit naff as Cain and West although disagreed on a few things almost became a comedy act at times. Although not as good as the previous films, it does take some going after the opening credits but certainly has the humour and quirky comments.

Attachment 242787

Up next The Mutilator
Isn't it Dan Cain and not Supermen?
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Isn't it Dan Cain and not Supermen?
Fooking auto correct
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 21st

Zombie Creeping Flesh (1980)

With the opening to this i thought i'd put Zombi 3 (1988) on by mistake seeing as they are pretty much identical involving scientific types in research facilities. Still that's Claudio Fragasso's screenplays - Why use an idea once when you can do it multiple times - To be fair Claudio probably never thought film bores like myself would be watching his films on high definition discs weeks apart and comparing them.

Anyway Zombie Creeping Flesh is a lot of gory fun. Not up there with Fulci's Zombi 2 (1979) nor indeed 1978's Dawn of the Dead which inspired much of this film, but still fun.

A couple of the set pieces are memorable. In particular a death at the end of the film featuring a head and a zombie's hand and also some crazy moments with the seemingly unkillable Franco Garofalo running around in and among the zombie hordes.

What lets it down a bit is the use of stock footage. There's so much of it, mostly low quality and other parts frequently seen in the Tarzan tv series with Ron Ely, which frequently prove distracting.

Oh and there's the dialogue. To be brutally honest it's f*cking terrible. But for the most part Zombie Creeping Flesh or Hell of the Living Dead as it's also known is fine popcorn entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itNCggJzKz4WVqqt1NMKX9UQ9gf.jpg (88.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Fooking auto correct

Quote:
The Mutilator. 1984.

Up next The The Devil A Daughter.

Like this? Share it using the links below!