Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

trebor8273 29th October 2022 08:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1vbhicJUY&t=5s

I know this wasn't that well received , but I really enjoyed it's basically the superman origin story turned on its head. What if superman wasn't our greatest savior but it's greatest threat.

Lots of things mirror superman mythos , both landed in Kansas, both have double barreled names and I don't think supes ever shattered Lana Lang hand and like the boys it shows what would happen in real life if a superhero used their powers.

The scene which he uses his heat vision on his father's head was pretty cool. Would I liked a sequel to this as it set it up in the closing credits for a evil justice league we even have a cameo Michael Rooker who could if been the Lex Luthor type but with everything turned on its head he would of been good.

Now watching poltergeist.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2022 10:04 PM

October 28th

1 Attachment(s)
The Thing From Another World (1951)

I still can't believe this Howard Hawks production is directed by Christian Nyby. There are so many of Hawks classic tropes on show that he either directed it himself or basically told Nyby shot for shot what to do.

Anyone who's familiar with Hawks work will understand where i'm coming from. The quiet scenes with Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan make me think of His Girl Friday (1940) and there's also a feel of Only Angels Have Wings (1939) to the whole thing. Not to mention the camaraderie of men under stress which features strongly in all Hawks westerns.

What is indisputable is how good a film The Thing From Another World is. It's a beautifully made slice of paranoid horror turned monster movie ladened with atmosphere and is quite rightly classed as one of the best science fiction films ever made. I still get an excited thrill from watching those letters slow burning their way through the background opening titles.

MrBarlow 29th October 2022 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ubnholy. 1988.

After the death of Father Dennis at the alter, Father Michael who was thrown from a window by a suicidal jumper and survived is tasked to re-open the church and finds out that Father Dennis was not the only one to die in the church.

A great performance by Ben Cross who plays the new Father of a church in New Orleans that seems to have a connection to demons and hell. Hal Holbrook plays the Archbishop who believes Michael can face the demon that takes the form of a succubus played by Nicole Frontier. Ned Beatty plays the Police Lieutenant who is trying to figure out who is doing the killings.

Director Camilo Vila doesn't hold nothing back, we are thrown into the film straight straight away with the sinister atmosphere that stays with the movie from start to finish. Bob Keen done a decent job with the special effects and nice gore to add, remember this is a 80s film with a decent budget when you see the demon creature it may not be the best but the film makers did try. A horror film that the Mrs actually sat through and managed to keep quiet.

Attachment 242959

Up next Ouija

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 678051)
The Ubnholy. 1988.

After the death of Father Dennis at the alter, Father Michael who was thrown from a window by a suicidal jumper and survived is tasked to re-open the church and finds out that Father Dennis was not the only one to die in the church.

A great performance by Ben Cross who plays the new Father of a church in New Orleans that seems to have a connection to demons and hell. Hal Holbrook plays the Archbishop who believes Michael can face the demon that takes the form of a succubus played by Nicole Frontier. Ned Beatty plays the Police Lieutenant who is trying to figure out who is doing the killings.

Director Camilo Vila doesn't hold nothing back, we are thrown into the film straight straight away with the sinister atmosphere that stays with the movie from start to finish. Bob Keen done a decent job with the special effects and nice gore to add, remember this is a 80s film with a decent budget when you see the demon creature it may not be the best but the film makers did try. A horror film that the Mrs actually sat through and managed to keep quiet.

Attachment 242959

Excellent film, love The Unholy,.

MrBarlow 29th October 2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 678053)
Excellent film, love The Unholy,.

The Veston Blu Ray is the best version of this film I have seen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 678054)
The Veston Blu Ray is the best version of this film I have seen.

That's the release i have. I upgraded from dvd.

nicholasrope 29th October 2022 10:20 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hellraiser

The 1987 original which sees a man encounter The Centibites and after being tortured by them he escapes but needs blood to recover. Nice gore scenes and some nice one liners but I found the rest to be rather boring.

Dolls

A group of random strangers find a spooky Mansion during a Rainstorm but the elderly owners have a secret about the Dolls they have. I believe that this Film is one of the best kept secrets, it's so creepy and effective in what it's supposed to be.

Burning

After being the victim of a prank gone wrong, a Campsite Caretaker is severely burned and goes on a killing spree on the latest visitors and employees of that Camp. A former Video Nasty and whilst it's rather familiar to Friday The 13th, I preferred this one, it's definitely an easy watch.

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

This one sees the return of Nancy and this time, she is a Sleep Doctor helping the latest victims of Freddy Krugger. More of a Sequel to the original (A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 is under-rated in my opinion) I believe that this one is the best of the series.

Now if only we can get the Freddy's Nightmares TV Series released.

Night Of The Living Dead (1990)

Worthy remake of the original classic that sees Tony Todd in the lead role which sees him and others trying to avoid and eventually escape Zombies from a Farmhouse. Directed by Tom Savini, it's a decent watch.

Terrifier

A demented Clown goes on a rampage and stalks some girls. Not much of a back story but delivers in the violence and gore in the most extreme way, I've seen in a long time. This Film has also got one of the greatest death scenes in history (Surely now New York Ripper can be passed uncut/uncensored now), can not believe that scene made it passed The BBFC. A great performance from David Howard Thornton and the F/X Crew, Art The Clown is one of the most menacing Villains out there at the moment.

In all seriousness, I can't believe that both Terrifier Films actually got through the BBFC, are there Films that are currently banned for less.

Saw

The beginning of the franchise which sees Jigsaw and his traps putting people in life and death situations. This is the best in the series and I found the traps to be genius as was the montage at the end, which explains everything.

Working at a Cinema at the time, I originally thought that this would be just a run of the mill screen filler with maybe a couple of showings at night, with a couple of half full screens. Then the billboards started showing up and I managed to catch the Trailer and thought, hey this actually might be quite good.

Luckily, I managed to catch the 1st screening and glad I did because I didn't have it spoilt for me. I watched it again at the late night showing the next day and it got moved from a medium sized screen to the 2nd biggest. Word of mouth must have gotten round rather quickly and the queue was large. It was definitely one of those Films in which I wanted to see the audience reactions, especially to the killer revealing himself.

trebor8273 29th October 2022 11:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eZgEKjYJqA

It starts off and you think it's going to be a typical Spielberg 80s family movie. But things take a darker turn when strange things start happening.

It's quite tame by today's standards , was probably tame compared to a lot horrors when it came out, but as a kid it frightened me. Well directed with a great cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVX1xItZAOo

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBmy6qjiCI

MrBarlow 29th October 2022 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ouija. 2014.

After the death of a friend, a group of friends use a Ouija board to contact her and summon up a dark force.

Typical teens find a Ouija board and decide to play it after their friend plays with it and summon up a dark force that resides in the house where their friend died. It's not a original story and almost like the film Witchboard where one person plays alone and thinks they are speaking to someone friendly but it's not. As daft as this movie can be i do find it entertaining but not the best film made, the jump scares are pretty much predictable.

Attachment 242968

Up next Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Frankie Teardrop 30th October 2022 10:31 AM

THE BLACK PHONE – The black phone in question is down in Ethan Hawke’s cellar. He plays a nefarious child killer known as ‘The Grabber’, who is also equipped with black balloons and a black van. The interesting thing about the black phone is that it seems to pick up the ghostly voices of The Grabber’s victims, which is useful for Finney after he ends up in creepo’s basement as his predecessors decide to help him out by ringing in advice from beyond the grave. I enjoyed ‘The Black Phone’. I always think of the seventies as being full of unrealistically garish colours, but the makers of BP bring us down to earth and remind us that everything looked a bit beigey back then. It’s a more convincing colour scheme than that of your typical latter-day fake grindhouse effort. More than that, the film has a strange fairy tale quality about it, something almost a bit mythic maybe. At points, especially at the end, I half wondered whether the whole thing was a fantasy solely within the mind of Finn, a sort of daydream about escaping an ogre’s cave that might be useful in coping day to day with his domineering dad. And what about his psychic sister? How random. But BP isn’t about ontological puzzles at the end of the day, it’s more of a window on the toxicity of times and places people often seem to prefer to get dewy-eyed about, and also there’s perhaps slightly inevitable stuff about the dark side of masculine identity. Solid effort all round and a recommend from me.