Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2022, 03:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paranormal Activity. 2007.

A young couple begin to be tormented by a demonic force in their house.

Think to get the thrill of this film was to see it on the big screen, sadly I never got the chance to see it there and be part of the hype to see what the film was about. Give credit to the two main actors where were not given a script but but work of their own initiative of living in a haunted house. It takes a slow build up to get into it, even though I watched them all at some point few years ago, i can't watch them over and over again.

p7836894_p_v8_ag.jpg

Up next Paranormal Activity 2
Old 31st October 2022, 03:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

It's one I've never seen before, but I have seen numerous clips of it on various TV and YouTube things. I noticed it's on Amazon Prime so I might watch it soon, at the weekend or next week maybe
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st October 2022, 05:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paranormal Activity 2. 2010.

After a break in, a family decide to set up some security cameras and uncover some sinister force.

First film is about Katie and Micah, this one is about her sister Kristi and her husband, this is more of a prequel than sequel, like the first there is laughs and then it becomes more horror. There is one or two decent effects used, and kept on the near same wave length with the acting.

p8077746_p_v8_as.jpg

Up next Popcorn.
Old 31st October 2022, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

MOTHER OF TEARS – Even though practically everyone feels tempted on occasion to bang on about the fact that Dario Argento hasn’t made a genuinely good movie for over two decades, they should at least hesitate when they get to MOT. Maybe it’s not very good, but it has enough of the director’s little quirks and excesses to be a fun watch. The third Sister has returned and chaos is breaking out everywhere etc – this tends to take the form of goths who wander the city glaring or giggling spitefully at passers-by, but then again maybe things could get serious as there’s a bit where someone chucks their baby off a bridge at random. Mean spirited, Dario! Not as mean spirited as that f*cking monkey though. Whenever anyone gets a cooch impalement, or has their innards ripped out after a revolting facial disfigurement, there’s this evil little tw*t screeching away in the background. Dario’s quite fickle as the simian in ‘Phenomena’ was benevolent and a bit of a hero in the end. Anyway, MOT is what it is, a very lowly descendent of a noble lineage with a head full of former glories but which can’t claim to be much better than the company it keeps ie mostly direct-to-DVD era shitty horror films. There are a few banging gore scenes, but most of it is Asia Argento going around looking concerned. On the other hand, its constant silliness means that it doesn’t plod. Entertaining, and it makes you wish Argento had done the same sort of thing with most of the films he's put out since ‘Opera’
Old 31st October 2022, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran

If anyone fancies this on Bluray, the German release from last year is good. It was a limited run and I think it's done now, but Strange Vice has some; the cover art is nice too.

https://www.strangevice.co.uk/mother...r%20of%20tears

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st October 2022, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Popcorn. 1991.

Movie goers planning a horror movie marathon are killed off by a disfigured killer.

These movie planners have everything sussed out from a trait used by William Castle with things flying through the air, electric shocks to the theatre chairs. It is better than it looks, a light hearted not to be taken serious film where a killer from the past comes calling for his intended victim. There is a running gag through the film where the intended hero gets hurt trying to be a saviour that can get tiresome.

MV5BMTI3Mzc5MzE0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzk4Nzk4._V1_.jpg

Up next Demons
Old 31st October 2022, 07:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 29th

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Rob Zombies grimy debut feature is a grizzled homage to the bygone era of Grindhouse cinema, referencing the likes of Tobe Hooper classics The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) and 81's The Funhouse. However it's also a homage to classic horror as we witness scenes from Universal classics such as The Wolf Man (1941) and House of Frankenstein (1944) all thrust into the insanity of the Firefly family's chamber of horrors.

The Blu-ray was pretty awesome to take in, even second time around and after all these years i'm still seeing something new every viewing. The cinematography is superb as is the mind bending use of film stocks and random weird clips that assault the viewer every so often, such as Sheri Moon sticking her tongue into a rotting corpse's mouth.

Speaking of the cinematography. That scene where Bill Moseley's Otis has Walton Goggin's sheriff on his knees with a gun to his head. We wait for the shot to ring out. It doesn't. Zombie edges his camera out still focusing on the pair, again nothing. It's not until we get a birds eye view before the inevitable finally happens. It's a sequence that takes about thirty seconds to play out and seems like an eternity.

Terrific stuff. House of 1000 Corpses is must see October viewing for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BNjUyNjU0NDE0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzcwMzg3._V1_.jpg (49.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st October 2022, 08:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 30th

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1974)

Dracula is dead and well and living in London as Christopher Lee plays the great vampire for one final time for Hammer in this unpredictable (if you've never seen it before) horror thriller.

Set in a contemporary setting this pretty much follows on from Dracula AD 1972 (1972) as we meet Peter Cushing's Lorimer Van Helsing once again along with his granddaughter Jessica (Joanna Lumley stepping into Stephanie Beecham's shoes) and Michael Coles police inspector, as the three team up once more this time attempting to prevent Dracula releasing the bubonic plague into the world.

Certainly not a conventional Hammer film but it has elements of previous Gothic outings as well as action you might well see in The Sweeney.

Director Alan Gibson moves things at a cracking pace and although nowhere near the best Dracula film it has it's moments - including satanic rituals, the bloody staking of vampire women and a classic meeting between Dracula and Van Helsing - that should thrill all lovers of the macabre.

As i'd seen this countless times previously i wasn't even thinking about it for this years horror marathon but as with Shadow of the Cat i decided to watch something i really fancied rather than what was planned. (The Halloween themed Satan's Little Helper and Hell Fest)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (74.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st October 2022, 08:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 29th

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

I always enjoy a watch of one or two films that other people watch when seen in Halloween themed films. So as with The Thing from Another World on the 28th i thought i'd opt with Romero's classic gut muncher Night of the Living Dead the night after.

Usually people in these films watch their movies on small tv's with seemingly poor image quality to make it seem like cable tv. However when watching Terrifier 2 i noticed one woman watching Night of the Living Dead on a lovely flat screen tv in what was seemingly a beautiful HD picture. So that's what i did as well.

And oh boy it sure is lovely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lhOLi6VwjBlEccjL1imyFwLYUKu.jpg (99.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st October 2022, 08:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 30th

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Originally this was going to kick off this evening but i just wanted to watch it last night instead. Carpenter's Halloween is going to kick off this evening mow at 9pm.

Twelve solid years of tricks and treats and still Michael Dougherty's film remains as good as ever. Perhaps the finest portmanteau horror ever made, the different story strands blend seamlessly and with each viewing a different segment becomes my favourite. This time it was the werewolves.

I don't know about tricks but this is always a genuine Halloween treat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03e58b851a31ef604c22e44e7d3317ca2d962f12_hq.jpg (50.9 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!