Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

trebor8273 12th October 2018 05:55 PM

Didn't watch happy hell night or leatherface last night, so decided to watch happy hell night but lasted about 20 minutes before I turned off, so going to watch the first episode of the haunting of hill house.

bleakshaun 12th October 2018 06:22 PM

Watching The Mutilator tonight, was going to watch it last night, but by the time I got home and got myself a shower, I didn't have enough time.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

trebor8273 12th October 2018 07:22 PM

Well watched first episode of hill house, fantastic well acted ,written and directed also very creepy. There is a lot of character building and flashes back and forward between the night of the haunting and the present day, can see to more modern audiences it could be seen as slow but it for me just adds to.the tension and story. Now watching next episode. At moment 9/10

Susan Foreman 12th October 2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 590508)
Well watched first episode of hill house, fantastic well acted ,written and directed also very creepy. There is a lot of character building and flashes back and forward between the night of the haunting and the present day, can see to more modern audiences it could be seen as slow but it for me just adds to.the tension and story. Now watching next episode. At moment 9/10

If you get bored with the show, try playing the game

Mike Flanagan Teases That Every Episode of “The Haunting of Hill House” Has Ghosts Hidden in Plain Sight | Bloody Disgusting

"The Haunting of Hill House is a modern take on the horror classic, reimagined as a 10 episode Netflix series. While you’re binge watching the show, director Mike Flanagan encourages viewers to look for the hidden ghosts he took the time to hide in the shadows of the set.

“The interior was designed so that it could hide ghosts,” Flanagan told Bloody-Disgusting. “That was one of the big things. If you go back and watch the series again, in every episode there’s probably somewhere between eight and 10 ghosts that are just hidden in plain sight that we called no attention to but they’re there. I’m giddy about when the show launches and people start to spot them. I think that’s going to be really fun. We had a blast just hiding them all over the set whenever we were shooting. It’s pretty cool.”"

Crimson Blade 12th October 2018 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Symptoms(1974).

From Vampyres director Jose Larraz comes a story about a mentally disturbed young girl who comes back to live in her country mansion after spending some time in Switzerland, and invites a friend to stay with her to keep her company.

Angela Pleasence stars in the lead role as Helen Ramsey the unhinged girl with a lot of secrets and Lorna Heilbron plays the role of Anne West, the friend who may regret choosing to stay.

A slow burner of a film which relies more on mood and atmosphere, with lots of wandering around in woods and in the old mansion, and a mysterious lake that holds a dark secret.
Angela Pleasence is absolutely superb as the deranged and vulnerable young girl who is capable of extreme violence, and Lorna Heilbron is very good too. And another notable co-star is Peter Vaughan as the sleazy gamekeeper.

Recommended 7.5/10.

bleakshaun 12th October 2018 08:04 PM

The Mutilator
A son tries to clean his father's guns and accidentally shoots his mother. His sad is pissed of. Years later the boy and his college friends go to his dad's condo to shut for the winter. Only there is a killer.
I have to say I enjoyed this, if only for a couple of fun kills and a few enjoyable moments. I absolutely hate that bloody song from the arrow main menu.

MrBarlow 12th October 2018 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Howl 2015.

A group of passengers become stranded on a train, as they attempt to walk back to the station they are chased by an animal, as they make a stand they are told stories about werewolves that prowled the area for years.

This was a so so british flick, it's not like The Howling or An American Werewolf In London, we don't see humans change to animal, it does show how normal people would survive a night of terror with a barricade and weapons that I don't think are actually on a train, don't expect to be watching a big budget movie but worth a look. 6 out 10

MrBarlow 13th October 2018 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Suspiria 1977.

An American travels to Germany to study Ballet, she is convinced the school is a coven for witches.

One of Argento's greatest movies, the build up with suspense and tension with a great score from the band Goblin is brilliantly mixed in and used on set to Creep everyone out.

From the first 10 mins to seeing eyes staring back through the window was a bit eerie and wtf is that, which leads to a double murder and other pending deaths.

There is a brilliant star cast from Jessica Harper, Alida Valli, Joan Bennett and small appearance from Udo Kier(there was a bit of bad dubbing in his one scene but never be put off). Is it possible to remake this movie the same way Dario created it 41 years ago?

Justin101 13th October 2018 10:43 AM

Troll

Troll (1986)

https://crypticrock.com/~crypti10/de...01/troll-3.jpg

I bought the new Eureka BD set, total blind buy, I'd not even seen the trailer so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I did think it'd be more along the lines of a traditional horror film with monsters, like Puppet Master and Dolls but it's actually a very funny horror comedy with some good effects and a fun musical number that reminded more of Labyrnth than something like Supspecies :lol:

Loved it, even though it was a bit rubbish. Going to watch the hour long doc before giving Troll 2 a spin, which I'm nervous and excited about in equal measure :rip:

Paul Zombie 13th October 2018 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dracula Prince of Darkness.

Two british couples are on holiday in the carpathian mountains and get warned by a priest not to go near Carlsbat but they take no notice and end up at Castle Dracula after getting abandomed by their coachman.

I have to say that i like this sequel a lot despite the fact that it doesnt star the great Peter Cushing. it has all the great gothic atmospheres and nice creepy castle, with the equally creepy Klove, Dracula's servant who brings his master back in a particulary nasty way by doing a blood sacrifice.

the cast are excellent too, especially Barbara Shelley, who looks amazing when she becomes a vampire.and actress Susan Farmer is pretty nice on the eye as well.

The only other thing that i was disappointed with a bit, apart from no Peter cushing, is that Christopher Lee gets no lines at all in the film, only the occassional snarl. :lol: But it is still top notch Hammer directed by Terence fisher. and has a interesting death for Dracula as well at the end, which made a change from the usual stake. :happy:

so this Hammer classic gets 87 out of 100.

bleakshaun 13th October 2018 05:14 PM

Tonight's coin toss - The Red Queen Kills 7 Times or Wind Chill

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th October 2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 590573)
Tonight's coin toss - The Red Queen Kills 7 Times or Wind Chill

Wind Chill is shite so I know what I'd go for.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2018 05:23 PM

October 11th and 12th

2 Attachment(s)
Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning (2004)

Prequel to the first two Ginger Snaps films. Set in the late 19th century this is a tale of how it all began for sisters Ginger and Brigitte, or at least for their ancestors. Set during winter at an outpost fort under siege by something sinister both inside and out.

Ever so slightly reminiscent of Antonia Bird's Ravenous, (A good thing) this isn't quite as impressive as the first two films. The historical aspect and sets bring a certain amount of interest to proceedings as do the Native American legends and Wendigo folklore ideas, but it doesn't quite hit the mark. The supporting characters are stereotypes and it feels quite flat in places. Having said that Katharine Isabelle (Ginger) is always good value and the night time attacks on the fort were well staged.

Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968)

A film memorable for three things.

Teaming genre greats Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee and Barbara Steele in the same film, and it being Karloff's last film. He died a mere six months after filming finished. He's shown great love on the accompanying documentary by stars Mark Eden and Virginia Wetherell - Eden tells of how he used to almost sit at Karloff's feet during lunch breaks as the great man told him stories from past films - whereas Wetherell relates how Lee, who at the time felt films like this were beneath him as he wanted to break out in Hollywood, and refused to even do practice read through's to help her with her lines.

The third thing was the film's lurid, fetishistic, green tinted Occult imagery which in all truth is the highlight alongside Boris of a fairly average albeit watchable film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 590574)
Wind Chill is shite so I know what I'd go for.

Velvet Acid Christ?

I quite like Wind Chill, although i too would go for The Red Queen Kills Seven Times.

bleakshaun 13th October 2018 06:10 PM

That's what the coin decided.

MrBarlow 13th October 2018 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Inferno 1980.

Rose Elliott discovers a secret about her building in New York and is killed, her brother Mark travels from Rome to solve the puzzle of her death.

Dario's second tale from Suspiria about The Three Mothers, this was a gothic atmosphere sequel that entertains. At first I thought it was dull and boring but the more I watched it the better the understanding of what the movie was about. The Murders were done brilliantly to classical music which was interesting, there is some of the same colour that was used in Suspiria red mixed with blue which helped with the creepy tone of the film. 9 out of 10

bleakshaun 13th October 2018 08:07 PM

The Red Queen Kills 7 Times
2 sisters are playing and eventually fight in front of a painting, their grandpa tells them the story of the painting, jump to years later and their grandpa dies of fright, believing it to be the family curse of the Red Queen.
A superb and strange Giallo with a mesmerising soundtrack. Probably one of the best horrors I've seen for the first time in this October Marathon.

trebor8273 13th October 2018 09:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbhOWHvrnto

A know a lot of people didn't rate it but i quite enjoyed and it's better than most of the sequels / prequels.

A young leatherface is taking away from his looney family for his own safety which should of been a good thing as he's quite a normal boy especially compared to the rest of his family, sadly the facility he is sent to doesn't give him the help he needs and is just abused mental and physically instead, a riot takes place and some of the patients escape. Some good bloody kills that use practical effects. You cant help but feel sorry for leatherface as he could of had a normal life if not for his family and being failed by the doctors who are supposed to help. 7/10

Justin101 13th October 2018 09:38 PM

So I popped my Troll 2 cherry! I can totally see why it’s a fan favourite. I had so much fun watching it and trying to work out what on earth was going on. Quite a bit of the running time I was thinking where are the Trolls...

Although we had Goblins, or at least some smaller people in baggy outfits and large rubber face masks on, most of which didn’t even fit and could barely conceal the face beneath haha, and WTF was with that one Goblin with the sticky out eyes!!! Haha.

MrBarlow 14th October 2018 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mother of Tears 2007

When a urn is found in Rome, mysterious violent acts begin to occur and young women begin to gather for the last mother to take over the world.

Third installment From Dario, this wasn't the best movie, ok it does feature the gory gruesome deaths we expect with plenty blood splatter and good background score but was he in a hurry to complete it or did I miss something, seemed like the film was rushed from start to finish. Aside from the two previous movies it lacks his usual atmospheric moments that seem to drag the movie on. 5 out of 10.

Paul Zombie 14th October 2018 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Blood Beast Terror.

Peter Cushing is a inspector in the police on a case involving a series of young men who have been killed and drained of blood. at first he suspects some type of bird of prey like a eagle or something, but it turns out that its something a lot more strange instead.

I have to be honest here and say that this is not Cushing's greatest film, but that's not to say that its still not without its charm. it still has all the old gothic and period outfits and atmosphere, its just that it's a bit dull and bland and a rather lightweight film from Tigon. and the ending is a bit rubbish too.
The creature on the rampage does provide some unintentional comedy though and is absolutely hilarious with the worst make up effects since Hammer's The Reptile. they must rent these outfits from a fancy dress shop. :pound:

Actor Robert flemming also co stars as a mad doctor with bizarre secrets in his laboratory and Wanda ventham also stars as his strange daughter.

probably one of my least favorites out of all my Hammer and Tigon films, etc. but will still give it 69.5 out of 100.

Susan Foreman 14th October 2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zombie (Post 590612)
The Blood Beast Terror.

probably one of my least favorites out of all my Hammer and Tigon films, etc. but will still give it 69.5 out of 100.

You would have thought that a film with a title like that, couldn't fail!

trebor8273 14th October 2018 05:57 PM

Tonight's viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWm_mkbdpCA

MrBarlow 14th October 2018 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
City Of The Living Dead 1980.

In the town of Dunwich a priest hangs himself and opens a gateway to hell, a reporter and a medium race against time to close the gateway.

This is one of Fulci's best movies, this is like a no holds barred anything goes in the ways of death, to the vomit scene, drill kill and Zombie attacks with hair pulling to the extreme, it's not a edge of your seat sitting view, good dark spooky atmosphere especially in the underground crypt.

Christopher George plays the reporter who brings in slight humour and Catriona Malcolm is the medium who sees the dead rise up, there is small appearances from Giovanni Lombardo Rice and film director Michele Soavi. The only problem I have with this and probably many others was the ending. 8 out of 10

trebor8273 14th October 2018 07:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWm_mkbdpCA

A number of years since I've watched this , forgotten just how brilliant and clever it is, expertly directed by Craven and started a bit of a come back for horror as a lot of around the time was pretty poor , it also lead to a tonne of copy cat films, some good but most poor. Lots a little nods and Easter eggs to other horror films. 9.5/10

Now watching final destination, another film I've not seen in awhile.

Crimson Blade 14th October 2018 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Seventh Sign(1988).

A supernatural horror/thriller about the end of days. Demi Moore plays Abby Quinn and her and her husband are expecting a baby.
Then, after a series of natural disasters across the world, a mysterious stranger called David, played by Jurgen Prochnow shows up and rents a room from them.

One of the many films inspired by the Omen, although it's not in the league of that classic, despite being well written with an intelligent script.
But this film still has a lot of merit and is well worth a watch despite lacking the creepiness of The Omen and the striking set pieces.
Demi Moore is excellent too as the woman who holds the key to saving the world, and Jurgen Prochnow gives a really believable portrayal as the spooky visitor. Michael Biehn who starred in The Terminator also gives a solid performance as Abby's husband. 7/10.

MrBarlow 14th October 2018 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Beyond 1981.

A woman inherited a hotel in Louisiana and discovers that it is a gateway to Hell.

I'm not really a big fan of this film, the start does send the movie into a interesting view then slopes and looses its track then finds it again, Fulci's vision of gore with Emily's death that's a bit like the three wise monkeys scenario and was copied from the movie Suspiria and young Jill's death was more like blink and miss.
The one good thing I like is the haunting soundtrack by Fabio Frizzi who worked on other Fulci movies. 6 out of 10.

bleakshaun 14th October 2018 09:10 PM

Hatchet 3
Mary Beth escapes (again) the clutches of Victor Crowley only to be arrested by the police, being covered in blood and holding his scalp. The police go to the Swamp and uncover all the bodies of the previous movie. Victor then proceeds to murder them all.
Out of the 3 I've seen it's still an enjoyable sequel, with some enjoyable kills, appearances by Sid Haig and Zach Gilligan. Lesser budget? Sure. But it doesn't remove from the entertainment of the film.
The fourth one in a week's time, curious to see how it plays out.

trebor8273 14th October 2018 09:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD_MAz96L70

A high school student while on a plane ready to fly to Paris has a dream that the plan will crash, he and some other students and a teacher a removed before take off, not long after take off the plane explodes killing everyone on board. Not soon after the survivors been to die in what appear bizarre accidents. Not your usual teen slasher no hockey masked wearing killer ,captain Kirk mask killer or dream demon here, the enemy here is death. We have some very imaginative and clever kills. The thing I've noticed with this and scream is everyone might be better looking than the average person but they aren't ripped within a inch of there life most films today! 8/10

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 590645)
The Beyond 1981.

I'm not really a big fan of this film, the start does send the movie into a interesting view then slopes and looses its track then finds it again, Fulci's vision of gore with Emily's death that's a bit like the three wise monkeys scenario and was copied from the movie Suspiria and young Jill's death was more like blink and miss.

It's interesting you said that because I prefer this to City of the Living Dead (it's my favourite of the loose trilogy) because I love the way the painting integrates into the narrative and the ending in particular seems pre-destined, something which becomes more evident with repeated viewings. I know what it says about me that I like films with downbeat endings.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 590645)
The one good thing I like is the haunting soundtrack by Fabio Frizzi who worked on other Fulci movies. 6 out of 10.

I really love the soundtrack and met Fabio Frizzi in Glasgow where he was introduced I improve and signed the soundtrack album I'd taken, an autographed which smudged when it was put back into the sleeve!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2018 10:11 PM

I used to think The Beyond was the bees knees when it came to Italian horror but over the years i've kinda' gone off it.

Like Mr. B i also prefer City of the Living Dead. It's a film with a better atmosphere for a start.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2018 10:25 PM

October 13th

1 Attachment(s)
Varsity Blood (2014)

Really lame college slasher film that takes an age to get going and when it does most of the kills are in darkness. With instantly forgettable one dimensional characters and a killer, who just a day later, and i've forgotten what he looked like.

I mentioned the darkness, and you can perhaps make an excuse saying it's a low budget film, which it is but so was Halloween back in 78. Back then they made great use of light and shade by having pumpkins flickering for example in a Lewton esq fashion, whereas the makers of this show no technical inspiration whatsoever. Makes you wonder if they have a love for their craft or just hope to make a quick buck.

MrBarlow 15th October 2018 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The VVitch 2015

A family banished by their community build up a small farm, by them is the Woods and believe they have been Cursed for their Sins.

Not many time pieced horror movies work but this one did, the actors pulled off with the way people spoke back then with thee, thou and thy. It is a strange slow but steady paced movie, has the right marks to make it atmospheric with chilling music. It can be a bit disturbing about an infant taken and what happens makes us this that did she do what I think she did and also a family falling apart, definitely worth a watch and best viewed in the dark.

Justin101 15th October 2018 11:38 AM

https://amp.businessinsider.com/imag...e8-750-375.jpg

Get Out (2017)

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, all of the accolades and positive reviews have had me a little dubious about actually seeing it. I have to say that it doesn't live up to it's hype at all. I actually found the first 20-30 minutes so dull I almost turned it off, but I wanted to give it a chance to reveal itself, which it did slowly, and with a few red herrings. The actual resolution of the story is pretty far-fetched and really lets everything down.

However, there are few really successful set-piece scenes, such as the hypnosis and the scene where Chris confronts the maid about his mobile phone.

So-so, I wont be watching this again... not at all helped by the fact I really dislike Allison Williams :lol: she was always the worst character in Girls, and that is a feat in itself :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 590673)

Get Out (2017)

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, all of the accolades and positive reviews have had me a little dubious about actually seeing it. I have to say that it doesn't live up to it's hype at all. I actually found the first 20-30 minutes so dull I almost turned it off, but I wanted to give it a chance to reveal itself, which it did slowly, and with a few red herrings. The actual resolution of the story is pretty far-fetched and really lets everything down.

However, there are few really successful set-piece scenes, such as the hypnosis and the scene where Chris confronts the maid about his mobile phone.

So-so, I wont be watching this again... not at all helped by the fact I really dislike Allison Williams :lol: she was always the worst character in Girls, and that is a feat in itself :lol:

I have no intention of watching Get Out.

I'm not impressed by many of the hyped studio horror films at all, be it Sinister, The Babadook, It Follows or Don't Breathe. This has never sounded that interesting to begin with.

Justin101 15th October 2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590678)
I have no intention of watching Get Out.

I'm not impressed by many of the hyped studio horror films at all, be it Sinister, The Babadook, It Follows or Don't Breathe. This has never sounded that interesting to begin with.

Save yourself the bother, you wont like it :lol: Troll 2 was way better :boil:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 590683)
Save yourself the bother, you wont like it :lol: Troll 2 was way better :boil:

I take it the Troll films are better than that abysmal Leprechaun series?

I watched six of those recently. Decided not to even bother reviewing them here they were so dire.

Justin101 15th October 2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590686)
I take it the Troll films are better than that abysmal Leprechaun series?

I watched six of those recently. Decided not to even bother reviewing them here they were so dire.

They were both shit but HIGHLY entertaining :lol:
I know you can get the DVD set with both films in the HMV 2 for £10 offer, although loads will be hitting MM and CEX now that the BD has come out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 590687)
They were both shit but HIGHLY entertaining :lol:
I know you can get the DVD set with both films in the HMV 2 for £10 offer, although loads will be hitting MM and CEX now that the BD has come out.

I'm off shit for a while. October and Halloween is the time for classics (and the Halloween sequels) not so bad they are good type films.

Paul Zombie 15th October 2018 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mummy's Shroud.

A British group of acrchalogists go to Egypt to uncover a tomb of a Egyptian prince Kah To Bey, and end up being killed off by the Prince's mummified servant as punishment for desecrating his tomb.

I have to say that i havent really thought that any of Hammer's mummy films have come close to the first one with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. This one as well is a pale imitation.
It's certainly watchable enough but its too slow and lacks atmosphere and suspense. and the casting is a bit average as well with no major stars apart from Andre Morell who dosent have much screen time anyway. Michael Ripper isn't too bad though and gets a bit more of a role than usual as a bumbling baffoon.
and then there's the mummy. whilst Christopher Lee's mummy looked menacing and creepy, this one looks laughable as if he's wearing pyjamas and a bit of bog roll. :lol:

Not one of Hammer's finiest hours but i'm still happy to have it in my collection. 68 out of 100.