Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

trebor8273 29th October 2015 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171745

trebor8273 29th October 2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 466448)
I also rather rate Xtro and would suggest giving it a second chance too, treb. :nod:

Seen it before and liked it a lot but will give it a second go after trick r treat

Rik 29th October 2015 07:46 PM

I started watching Tales of Halloween last night, but due to being exhausted from being up all the previous night being sick, I only managed the first 2 segments before falling asleep, so I'm gonna give it another go tonight :nod:

BTW, what I saw of it was very good

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466521)
I'm intrigued by the Noir-month.

What do you intend on watching? Bogart and the classics or obscure films from distributors like Kit Parker?

Perhaps a mixture of the two. I'd definitely recommend some of the noir's produced by Hammer in the fifties.

I have a massive master list of titles I want to check out based mainly on what I've yet to see from this list:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/2...al+noir+films/

So far I have the following films marked as 'High Priority' on my Love Film rental list:

Armored Car Robbery
Berlin Express
The Big Knife
Breaking Point
Champion
Christmas Holiday
The Dark Corner
Dead Reckoning
The Glass Key
He Ran All the Way Home
He Walked by Night
Hollow Triumph
House of Strangers
The House on 92nd Street
Human Desire
In A Lonely Place
Kiss of Death
The Letter
Macao
Man from Tangier
Mildred Pierce
Narrow Margin
Only Angels Have Wings
Phantom Lady
Pickup on South Street
Possessed
The Racket
Railroaded!
Reckless Moment
Ruthless
The Set Up
Shanghai Gesture
Sudden Fear
Suddenly
Suspicion
Thieves' Highway
Trapped
Under Capricorn
Velvet Touch
Where Danger Lives
The Window
Woman on the Run
The Wrong Man

I also want to revisit a few titles that I've recently picked up on Blu from the BFI (Fallen Angel, Night and the City, Where the Sidewalk Ends), plus watch Whirlpool for the first time. I'll just have to see how many titles I can get through in a month!

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 08:25 PM

I have some of those. I'll go into detail in a while.

trebor8273 29th October 2015 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next viewing

Attachment 171749

Attachment 171750

MacBlayne 29th October 2015 10:10 PM

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movi...76_p_v7_aa.jpg

Following keirarts defence of Zombie's sequel, and that I may as well watch it since I bought it, I decided to rewatch this (bare in mind, this is the Director's Cut - which was the version I saw on Blu Ray years ago).

And, what a difference five years makes. I loved it. Raw performances including one very brave one by Scout Taylor-Compton. Many would resist the urge to make their character unlikable but Taylor-Compton understands that this is the point - she is a survivor trying to distance herself from everything that remind her of her ordeal.

Even McDowell's Loomis tries this - reinventing himself as a cynical bastard that has moved beyond the night in question. But, in reality, he's terrified. Zombie shows us the early cracks in Loomis' facade (freaking out at the possibility that Myers is still alive; trying to be understanding when Lynda's father confronts him) but the ruse is abandoned in one quiet moment. Loomis watches himself on television and realises he can't do this anymore. McDowell expresses this in such a beautiful manner - the sneer we seem him carry throughout the film becomes an embarrassed smile.

Special mention to Brad Dourif who get's his best role in years. He too is devastated but puts on this wacky act to help his daughters (well, he's practically adopted Laurie by this point) through the day. And Danielle Harris really needs more work. She was sublime - the moment where
SPOILER:
she spots Michael in the bathroom is as heartbreaking as it is terrifying.

I think the reason I never liked this film was because I approached it as a horror sequel. Maybe it's because I'm wiser (or possibly dumber), I viewed it with an open mind and was able to appreciate what Zombie was doing. His visuals are gorgeous (although he really does beat that white horse to death, doesn't he). And that final shot of the smile as Nan Vernon's cover of Love Hurts plays? Beautiful.

So, thanks for that keirarts.

And in the spirit of revisiting films I watched Scream for the first time in years. I was always a little cold about this one, thinking it was a little too self-satisfied in taking apart the genre. Yet, maybe it's because I experienced true smugness with The Cabin in the Woods, but I found Scream to be highly enjoyable. It has some cloying dialogue that tries to crowbar Kevin Williamson's VHS collection, but I no longer felt the film was looking down on the slasher genre. Instead, it was that Hot Fuzz approach where it knows what the cliches are but it doesn't care because cliches are fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 10:28 PM

@Macblayne

Scream is still very good in my opinion. That opening segment was probably the scariest sequence i've sat through in a cinema. It's a shame the film never actually gets better than the first fifteen minutes.

I thought Cabin in the Woods to be terrible. So smug to the point of being almost unwatchable.

MacBlayne 29th October 2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466558)
@Macblayne

Scream is still very good in my opinion. That opening segment was probably the scariest sequence i've sat through in a cinema. It's a shame the film never actually gets better than the first fifteen minutes.

I thought Cabin in the Woods to be terrible. So smug to the point of being almost unwatchable.

I always found the horror scenes in Scream to be quite effective. And yes, the opening scene is terrifying. I'm not sure why I found the film to be smug though as I saw no real evidence of it last night. Maybe I was in a bad mood when I first saw it and thought the dialogue about PG-13 relationships and comparing their lives to horror film characters was overly-cute bullshit (I still don't like those dialogue moments but it doesn't antagonise me anymore).

The Cabin in the Woods brings my piss to a boil. The musings of an utter twat who thinks he's figured out the genre. I just tell people to watch Tucker and Dale VS Evil as it's a much funnier and cleverer twist on the formula - Tucker and Dale are only thought to be crazy hillbillies by a group of teenagers who think they have the horror genre figured out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466560)

The Cabin in the Woods brings my piss to a boil. The musings of an utter twat who thinks he's figured out the genre. I just tell people to watch Tucker and Dale VS Evil as it's a much funnier and cleverer twist on the formula - Tucker and Dale are only thought to be crazy hillbillies by a group of teenagers who think they have the horror genre figured out.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is quite superb.