Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 3rd October 2016 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.1

Attachment 183244

A medical student goes on a journey in a search of a secluded beach that her recently deceased mother talked about when she was younger in an attempt to bring her closer to the spirit of her mother. When he is dropped of by a local her friend texts her saying that she has hooked up with a random guy and will not be joining her on the most personal and emotional part of the trip. Undeterred Nancy heads out on her board to surf the same waves her mother surfed many years before. Whilst just sitting on her board floating on the water Nancy is overcome by peace and tranquillity and a feeling of closeness to her mother she has not felt since she passed away. But these feelings of joy don't last long when not far from shore Nancy is attacked by a great white shark only metres from the shore. She manages to swim to a small cluster of rocks but she is only safe until the high tide comes.

With an influx of stupid shark movies over the last few years like robo-octo-zombie-ghost-shark-da-puss i was excited to see an actual real shark movie and right off the bat i was pretty impressed the acting was solid granted there are only a few actors but the few that were in on show were very convincing especially Nancy she really made you believe her pain ,fear,isolation and desperation. But the honeymoon period was short lived and what started out as a survival against one of nature's most deadliest predators just became ridiculous the jellyfish scene being one of the most ridiculous but i'll say no more to avoid spoilers.

The Shallows gets a 6/10 the first two acts are really good and interesting but sadly the third act was a major let down after such a promising start.

Nordicdusk 3rd October 2016 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.2

Attachment 183245

A Catholic priest is sent to investigate reports of two virgin conceptions. One is about to give birth to the child of God and the other is the child of the Devil and he must decide which one is good and which one is evil before Satan's followers can stop him.

I know this was a TV movie so i tried not to be too hard on it with its low budget but it was a bit of a slog to get through. The acting was sub par and no matter how hard i tried i just couldn't really get into it just like watching a film on True Movies. It was a pretty boring film overall no suspense or atmosphere just went through the motions right through the end which just came across stupid. Even with a minimal budget we see plenty of effective films but this just was not one of them.

3/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2016 08:10 PM

American Nightmare (2004)

On Halloween night a group of friends do the phone in on the local pirate radio station divulging their worst nightmares whilst also commemorating the murder of four fellow students the previous year. Unbeknown to them the killer has returned, with the intention of making their worst fears a harsh reality.

American Nightmare is a amiable low budget shocker, almost Friends like during the opening half hour where everyone is sat at the local coffee shop. It's nicely played out even if the final reasons why are a bit cliche. Sexy Debbie Rochon makes for an intimidating but seductive murderess as she brings people's nightmares to life. The film sports fair amounts of blood and sex and makes for an very watchable if not essential viewing in the run up to Halloween.

platostotal 3rd October 2016 08:14 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed Halloween and Dead & Buried, next up however...:lol::lol:

(a bit slow to get going is an understatement, but you gotta love the climax)

http://i67.tinypic.com/v5y05f.jpg

Nordicdusk 3rd October 2016 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No. 3

Attachment 183246

An strange inheritance leads Danny and his friends to an abandoned resort in the woods run by a odd brother and sister. Not long after arriving all the friends realise that something is not right with the place but Danny is captivated by the place and the brother and sister that have been looking after the resort. The longer they stay the more detached from his friends and girlfriend who was the only one who supported him and his idea to up sticks and live in the resort with his new "family".

Right from the get go you know exactly what you are in for the first scene we have boobs sex and gore as is the way with every entry in the series. The first kill had me worried because it was really shitty CGI and alarm bells started to ring but a couple of seconds later we were back to practical effects with the next brutal kill with some barbed wire to the face nice and gory does it ;)

Like all these films the acting is not so good and all the characters are assholes but thats the fun for me because it makes their deaths all the more fun. I love this series they are just fun films full of brutal kills great effects and a healthy sprinkle of boobage.

7/10 FUN FUN FUN FUN

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 507125)

They definitely missed a trick with this poster.

You've got Blake Lively...in a wetsuit... ;)

Nordicdusk 3rd October 2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 507134)
They definitely missed a trick with this poster.

You've got Blake Lively...in a wetsuit... ;)

More time out of it than in it in the actual film :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd October 2016 08:49 PM

Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)

http://zardoz.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=25ea3180c3

Wealthy Bulgarian's in 1970s L. A. who've raided Christopher Lee's wardrobe are not to be trusted. They'll seduce your wives away after having made them feast upon your pet felines.

Stock up on crosses, make sure you have a decent alarm clock and lock-up your pussies.

57/100

mr 420 3rd October 2016 11:12 PM

Just finished a double bill of Arrow's Blood and Black Lace and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne. Stunning transfers plus two films that only get better each time you see them add up to a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2016 11:14 PM

Night of the Demons III (1997)

Known as Demon House in the UK, the film concerns a group of youngsters who hole up in an old mansion believed to be haunted following a shooting at a petrol station.

Demon House is flawed but it's also an entertainingly fun ride. Although it takes a good third to get to the house the characters are engaging (as in not all completely annoying) enough to maintain interest. Once at the house the group meet Angela the demon from the first two films in the series and all hell breaks loose in an orgy of sex and violence. The scene as Angela performs fellatio on a hand gun then spits the bullets into her palm is a hoot.

As the film wears on the youths do tend to become more irrational in their behavior and motives as Angela (Amelia Kincaid) seduces and offs them one by one. Luckily there's a stand out turn from established character actor Vlasta Vrana as a veteran cop in his final hours of duty who manages to hold it all together.

As with the original Night of the Demons (1988), the film romps along and proves an engaging but undemanding ninety minutes. As the dvd can be picked up for the price of postage it's one that is definitely recommended.