Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 19th October 2019 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 613693)
I read that in the voice of Jacqueline McCafferty which helped haha

Being a fellow Scots I was picturing Rab C. Nesbitt:pound:

Demoncrat 19th October 2019 10:08 PM

:pound:

Demoncrat 19th October 2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 613693)
I read that in the voice of Jacqueline McCafferty which helped haha

:pound::pound:

Demoncrat 19th October 2019 10:16 PM

Aye, fe far you're at MrB, that's the wrang direction ;):laugh:

Teuchter ken fit like? :lol:

MrBarlow 19th October 2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 613697)
Aye, fe far you're at MrB, that's the wrang direction ;):laugh:

Teuchter ken fit like? :lol:

Ach crap, i did say ma geography was shite :lol:

Demoncrat 19th October 2019 11:02 PM

Nae bother min!
Ahem.

Empire Of The Dark (1990, Steve Barkett)

From the mind that brought you Aftermath (once removed from our grasp by the kindly BBFC :rolleyes:) this rather flatly told tale of evil cultists is on the surface somewhat pedestrian. Uniquely entertaining for all that :nod:
As the execution of such material is endowed with a personal touch methinks ...

MrBarlow 19th October 2019 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Satan's Baby Doll (La Bimba Di Satana) 1982.

In a dark gothic castle lies a body of a deceased girl, a wheelchairbound caretaker spies on a nun and a husband is a bully. A frequent visitor believes the castle to be haunted. Is it paranoia or is evil forces controlling everyone.

This didn't make any sense, even though it was subtitled (I don't mind) just seemed confusing in sense, best way to describe is S&M meets hard-core sex and possession. There is some decent killings and a man with good taste spying on Mariangela Giordano...who wouldn't spy on her, may not be for everyone...who wants to see naked women and bit of girl on girl action, we are all decent people here:pound:.

Dave Boy 20th October 2019 09:43 AM

32.MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)

Great atmosphere and creepy sets. Undone in the final act. What a film this could have been if it WAS a straightforward horror.
*Check out the trailer for a brief scene of Luna flying not in the final movie.

33.ZOMBIELAND: DOUBLE TAP (2019)

Good fun. For me, not quite reaching the heights of the original but still bloody good.

Justin101 20th October 2019 10:09 AM

Sometimes They Come back (1991)

https://66.media.tumblr.com/39853bee...o10_r1_500.jpg

In typical Stephen King fashion, an adult returns to his home town to face some childhood trauma! I liked this one, I'm sure I've seen it before around the time it came out but I didn't remember much about it. The only real downside is that the villians aren't really menacing!

The Dark Half (1993)

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/...8/DarkHalf.jpg

A first time watch for me with a heavy sense of deja-vu when an adult confronts some childhood trauma in his home town :lol: Much better than the previous outing though, no doubt due to George A Romero's involvement. I have to admit, I needed to look-up what the term 'High-Toned' meant as it's not something I'd ever heard before.

Popcorn (1991)

https://horrorfreaknews.com/wp-conte...white-hair.jpg

Wait, what? How have I never seen this film before, what a blast :lol: I really enjoyed this horrorthon themed horror film. Sure it has its problems but I think the good bits outweigh any negatives. I didn't even realise that Bob Clarke and Alan Ormsby had anything to do with this until I watched the hour long 'making of...' doc. It's made even better by having a musical scene slap-bang in the middle :D

:pop2:

bleakshaun 20th October 2019 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Halloween (2018)
40 years after the events of the original, our good friend Michael escapes and goes back to his old habits of murder. Laurie is also back except she has a shitload of guns, her family thought she was crazy. They were wrong.
This was one I really wanted to see at the cinema last year, but I was working an exhausting job so was unable to do so. Was it worth me waiting a year for it. Yes it was. I loved this film.
Attachment 220091

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 613716)
Halloween (2018)
40 years after the events of the original, our good friend Michael escapes and goes back to his old habits of murder. Laurie is also back except she has a shitload of guns, her family thought she was crazy. They were wrong.
This was one I really wanted to see at the cinema last year, but I was working an exhausting job so was unable to do so. Was it worth me waiting a year for it. Yes it was. I loved this film.
Attachment 220091

When i went to see it the first time i kept my expectations low i was worried it would be rubbish but its fantastic nice little throwbacks to the earlier entries in the series. I have watched it numerous times since and still love it. There is no messing about Michael sees you he kills you end of.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 12:28 PM

I bought the soundtrack cd from HMV last December and have saved it until now to listen to. Had it on these past three days almost non-stop.

I absolutely love it. I don't know if it's because it's a soundtrack by the great John Carpenter himself but it really strikes a chord. The classic Halloween theme crops up loads of times across the forty odd minutes running time as do many other musical motifs from the first film as well as others.

If you are familiar with the films you'll be sure to recognise the differing cues. The soundtrack itself is part classic Halloween and part very cool synth music like the two recent Lost Themes albums.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613723)
I bought the soundtrack cd from HMV last December and have saved it until now to listen to. Had it on these past three days almost non-stop.

I absolutely love it. I don't know if it's because it's a soundtrack by the great John Carpenter himself but it really strikes a chord. The classic Halloween theme crops up loads of times across the forty odd minutes running time as do many other musical motifs from the first film as well as others.

If you are familiar with the films you'll be sure to recognise the differing cues. The soundtrack itself is part classic Halloween and part very cool synth music like the two recent Lost Themes albums.

It's great to have him making music over the last few years all his output has been so good i hope he puts out a few more albums. I know he will be scoring the next Halloween film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 613724)
It's great to have him making music over the last few years all his output has been so good i hope he puts out a few more albums. I know he will be scoring the next Halloween film.

Even if the film sucks - watching it next Saturday night for the first time - i'll still think the soundtrack is a classic.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613726)
Even if the film sucks - watching it next Saturday night for the first time - i'll still think the soundtrack is a classic.

I look forward to hearing what you think about the film.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 20

Attachment 220092

Dr. Georges Bonnet has discovered a way to stop the aging process he looks in his 40s but he is actually 104. Outside of his medical practise his other passion is sculpting beautiful woman but all of his models seem to disappear. The secret is a gland Dr. Georges Bonnet must replace every ten years or he will die. As the tenth year is soon approaching the Dr calls upon his lifelong friend Dr. Ludwig Weiss who carries out the operation every decade but when he shows up he has had a stroke and after losing the use in one of his arms he cannot carry out the vital surgery and so they set out to find someone who can. Meanwhile an old love Janine Du Bois comes back into George's life but she has a new man in her life Dr. Pierre Gerrard which plays right into Georges hands regaining the love of his life and using her boyfriend to complete the surgery.

The Man Who Could Cheat Death boasts a great cast with the ever great Christopher Lee as Dr. Pierre Gerrard the beautiful Hazel Court as Janine Du Bois and Anton Diffring is outstanding as Dr. Georges Bonnet he is crazed and manic and the very thought of death terrifies him and you can see everyone one of these feelings played out brilliantly by him. The film is a slow build for the final showdown but its great atmosphere and great acting carry it along just nicely not dragging out and always keeping you mesmerized by the performances and interesting story. Beautiful looking sets and a thick gloomy fog in the night scenes all come together to give this films a brilliant look and feel.

8/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 01:32 PM

October 18th

2 Attachment(s)
The Heretics (2017)

It's not often a cult lays a girl on the alter and then sacrifice themselves but that's what happens in The Heretics.

Due to the fact i do think this film is worth investigating for those that like Occult horror i don't want to give away all the plot details. What follows is an original horror film that has a very interesting concept but the budget means there's a lot of anguished chat rather than action until an excellent finale involving the demon Abaddon.

It's well acted and it's cabin in the woods location used effectively as are some terrific Occulty costumes and the practical effects when they come are the highlight.

One i'll certainly watch again.

The Craft (1996)

I continued the Occult theme with what is basically a high school horror movie as new girl Robin Tunney is initiated into a clique of three black lipstick and nails outcast girls who practice witchcraft, or at least attempt to.

Starting off as a black comedy ala Heathers or Jawbreaker, The Craft quickly begins to explore themes of witchcraft and come the end the karma that goes with it. The four girls are all excellent, especially the Manson like (Marilyn not Charles) Fairuza Balk who lets her powers overcome her in the worst possible way.

Leaving most teen movie cliches behind by the midway point, The Craft explores darker themes and by the climactic finale is a full on horror film.

I loved this when i saw it at the cinema and although i've seen it many, many times since it never fails to be a bewitching and enthralling watch with it's laughs, suspense and chills. Along with Mean Girls this is comfortably my favourite high school set film.

Cool soundtrack too.

Dave Boy 20th October 2019 01:35 PM

I must be the only one here that did not care for the new HALLOWEEN.
I saw it at the cinema and I am not bothered if I ever saw it again.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 613731)
I must be the only one here that did not care for the new HALLOWEEN.
I saw it at the cinema and I am not bothered if I ever saw it again.

I was on a little break from here when it was released so i have no idea how everyone here felt about it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 02:28 PM

October 19th

2 Attachment(s)
The Body Snatcher (1945)

A moody and very grim Val Lewton produced period piece. Boris Karloff as the deviant in question is simply outstanding in a performance that bounces from kindly to pure evil in the blink of an eye. His showdown with Bela Lugosi two thirds of the way in is a highlight.

One of my favourite films of all time. My ramblings cannot do it justice.

3 From Hell (2019)

Rob Zombie's follow up to the terrific The Devil's Rejects (2005).

For about twenty minutes i was really unsure if i'd like 3 From Hell. It seemed quite simply more of the same but not quite the same if you get my drift. However things quickly settled down once what was left of the Firefly clan got back together again. Sadly lacking Sid Haig's Captain Spaulding following an early cameo from prison (You could tell Haig was quite ill from his appearance and his maniac clown will be fondly remembered) Otis and Baby somehow get themselves out along with Otis' half brother Foxy, and head down Mexico way to avoid recapture.

Anyone who thought Sheri Moon Zombie's Baby was a depraved lunatic previously ain't seen nothing yet as Moon steals the film in each and every scene. There's great banter from Bill Moseley and newcomer to the series Richard Brake throughout, especially a chat about Humphrey Bogart, and of course Zombie litters the film with almost constant bloody violence. Hell we even get an appearance from Bela Lugosi.

I'm not sure how they manage it but together (as with the two previous films) creator Rob Zombie and actors Moseley, Moon and Brake somehow make three of the most repulsive and terrifying individuals into very cool anti-heroes that electrify the screen.

Ending on a similar note (minus the road block shoot out) of an open desert highway and a soaring heli-cam...

Ah, forget it. Simple fact - I loved this film!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613734)
3 From Hell (2019)

Ah, forget it. Simple fact - I loved this film!

Just what I needed, Dem, thank you. I didn't get into town last week but hope to go in on Tuesday so a trip to HMV for this and some of the cult horror titles sounds to be good preparation for the end of the month.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 02:41 PM

All formats of 3 From Hell have a directors commentary from Rob Zombie and the 95 minute documentary To Hell and Back: The Making of 3 from Hell.

In a world where extras are minimal on genre releases unless it's a release from Arrow or other boutique labels, Lions Gate should be congratulated on a disc that's as good as anything put out by Powerhouse or their ilk when it comes to documenting the making of a film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613736)
All formats of 3 From Hell have a directors commentary from Rob Zombie and the 95 minute documentary To Hell and Back: The Making of 3 from Hell.

In a world where extras are minimal on genre releases unless it's a release from Arrow or other boutique labels, Lions Gate should be congratulated on a disc that's as good as anything put out by Powerhouse or their ilk when it comes to documenting the making of a film.

I think that shows a commitment to the physical format by the filmmaker which is to be welcomed and makes the purchase even better value for money.

Justin101 20th October 2019 04:49 PM

Scared Stiff (1987)

https://media0.giphy.com/media/gfHtn...Uiio/giphy.gif

Decent enough 80s horror film that seems to be as much about pigeons as it is about the spirit of an 1800's slaver coming back to haunt the new inhabitants of his old mansion. It doesn't really make much sense and the kid is pretty annoying but it has some good fun bits and some pretty 'out-there' practical effects.

Heisenberg 20th October 2019 05:11 PM

Thanks to the wife working funny shifts (so hogging the tv to catch up on her shows) and my amazing memory have been slacking with adding to what i've been watching.
Here's what i have watched so far, with a rating out of 10 (just my opinion)

Christine -7/10
My Bloody Valentine (1981) - 8/10
Savagelannd - 7/10
My Bloody Valentine (2009) - 7/10
They're Watching - 7/10
The Fog (1980) - 9/10
Terrifier - 7/10
Friday the 13th Part 5 - 5/10
Jason X - 6/10 (terrible film but still find it enjoyable)
Videodrome - 7/10
Creepshow (1982) - 8/10
Shocker - 8/10
House of 1000 corpses - 8/10
The Devils Rejects - 8/10
3 From Hell - 8/10
Creepshow 2 - 7/10
31 - 7/10
Hellraiser - 9/10
The Prey - 6/10
Willard - 6/10

Tonight's viewing is going to be Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), not seen this film in about 10 years so looking forward to it, last film i watched under the 'Texas Chainsaw' banner was Texas Chainsaw 3d. Yea, i know lol

MrBarlow 20th October 2019 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't Torture A Duckling 1972.

In a small Italian town rife with superstition, a promiscuous young woman and a journalist team up to solve child killings.

Stylish murder horror giallo by Lucio Fulci, this is one of those old classic who done it movie with a good element of twist and turns with a darker tone and gore, although it's tame to Fulci's later work with his gore fetish. Florinda Bolkan (Flavia) plays the outcast/suspected town witch who may be sacrificing young children. Barbara Bouchet ( Blood and Diamonds) plays the young horny woman. Tomas Milan (JFK) as the journalist. This is defeinatly one for Fulci fans.

MrBarlow 20th October 2019 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tales From The Crypt: Bordello Of Blood. 1996.

A funeral home is a front for a brothel of female vampires.

The tv show was always good with the crypt keeper introducing the stories, Erika Eliniak (Under Siege) is the sister to Corey Feldman, as he goes missing she hires Private eye Dennis Miller and tracks his last movements to a Bordello house and undertaker Aubrey Morris ( A Clockwork Orange yeees) as sort of renfield/protector. This was a blend of comedy laughs horror and gore, plenty of topless women and with a small appearance by Whoopi Goldberg and Chris Sarandon as the gospel reverend.

MrBarlow 20th October 2019 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight.

A man on the run is in possession of a key that's wanted by a man known as the collector.

Decent chapter from Tales From The Crypt that's fun and entertaining flick that's bit like a 50s B movie. William Sadler (Die Hard 2) plays Brayker who is hiding a secret. Billy Zane (Titanic) plays the collector and summoning hells dominions for help. This is a bit more darker and does have it's jump scenes that were done well as the special effects were good and good star cast from CCH Pounder, Jada Pinkett Smith and Dick Miller.

bleakshaun 21st October 2019 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Omen (2006)
Remake of the original, nothing really different to the plot a couple of short surreal nightmares and a politician is blown up at the beginning.
It's certainly not the worst thing ever made, but apart from what I mentioned the only good thing is the cast, including Pete Postlewaite, David Thewliss and Mia Farrow. Not offensive really but if you plan to watch the remake, it's probably not the smartest idea to watch the original the week before. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Attachment 220128

MrBarlow 21st October 2019 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Deadly Manor 1990.

A group of teens decide to take shelter in a old house but they are not alone someone or something is killing them.

Que the clues, mysterious gloomy gothic manor not the best idea to go in, banged up car on a grave, that's a hint, a girl vanishes, no she didn't go for a walk outside or she would have said something, two more people go missing get the heck out of there don't stay in...dafties. The premise of this film sounded good but lost 90 mins of my life and the "supposed" twist ending was really shit. Not even worth a glance.

Justin101 21st October 2019 06:52 PM

Critters Attack (2019)

https://i.ibb.co/jhbFx9J/critters-attack-lg.jpg

Dumb but fun modern sequel in the Critters franchise. Despite it’s mediocre reviews I really enjoyed this movie. Basically a group of kids on a day out in the national park discover an injured lady Crite and bring her home with them only the boy Crites aren’t very happy about it and cause havoc in the town killing everyone in sight! Dee Wallace is back though, this time she’s packing heavy artillery!

I might be in the minority on this one but I was entertained for the full 90 minutes and wasn’t bored at all.

Nordicdusk 21st October 2019 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 21

Attachment 220130

Five English "tennagers" all over 40 head to the funfair so their muleted desperado mate can pull a bird. He tries to crack on to any female that passes no matter what they look like he's a smooth operator for sure. He spots a lone girl getting on the waltzers and decides to stop for a little perv cause woman love a sad git staring at them 10% of the time it works every time. After some carnys start harassing the girl on the waltzers our hero and his mates jump to the rescue not all heroes wear capes some have awesome mullets and snow white socks and slip ons. After a ridiculous chase around the fun fair they all hide in a ghost train and the rest of their gang crash through the ghost train in a daring escape from the chain weidling carys. Now that five has become six with the addition of the American girl from the waltzers they set sail in their small boat for god knows what reason but soon they hit rocks and the boat starts to sink so they abandon ship and swim to the closest island where they find an abandoned hotel that is totally decked out for a New Years party with every room covered in xmas decorations and fireworks for the new year's celebrations but the strange part is its the height of summer nowhere close to New Year. Soon strange things start to happen in the hotel are the occupants playing tricks on them or is there something supernatural going on.

Oh where to start

The acting is the first thing that hit me cause its terrible their actions and decision making is so laughable. Their mates or girlfriends or boyfriends which ever are getting attacked or murdered there is no reaction they just stand there watching without trying to help and then after the murder is committed they carry on like nothing has happened budgets maybe low but it costs nothing to act upset that you mate for 20 years o whatever was just massacred in front of your eyes. When they arrive at the hotel granted they are wet and need some dry cloths but when all they find are old fashioned clothes not sure when they have to put on the accessories that come with them or style their hair to the period of the clothes best example is the one that shows up dressed as a teddy boy with the trademark slicked hair style why :lol:

Worst episode of brookside ever :lol:

MrBarlow 21st October 2019 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Salem's Lot 1979.

Successful novelist and a young horror fan team up to rid a small town of vampires.

Who da thought Hutch would make a good vampire hunter?
Made for tv series 40 years ago and still holds out as a great vampire entertainment. David Soul is great as the novelist Ben Mears returning to his childhood town with the arrivals of Mr Richard Straker played brilliantly by James Mason Who is mysterious and well spoken, also a watchdog/protector for Mr Kurt Barlow played menancingly by Reggie Nalder, who went through a tough time being made up to look creepy with the contact lenses. Tobe Hooper done a great job with Stephen King's novel in bringing it life. It still has it's suspense moments and dark moments with the vampires eyes light up and glaring in the basement.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st October 2019 09:15 PM

SALEM'S LOT=CLASSIC! :clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st October 2019 09:16 PM

Watched Scream Factory's OMEN trilogy yesterday-worth every cent.
They look and sound incredible,especially the original.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st October 2019 09:17 PM

Watched ANGEL HEART on Saturday night.
These Studio Canal remasters are certainly worth picking up.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st October 2019 09:18 PM

Tonight's masterpiece.... :scared:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv0_uwI6CY

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2019 10:22 PM

October 20th

2 Attachment(s)
Halloween: H20 (1998)

A good cast, some nice in joke easter eggs and some well done set pieces make Halloween: H20 one of the classier offerings in the series.

A sequel to Halloween II, all further installments are completely ignored, this feels like the real deal, even if it owes a little too much to writer Kevin Williamson's Scream, in fact i'm sure it even nicks musical cues from that film, but with Michael Myers in good form it's easy to ignore those details and just enjoy H20 for what it is - a fine entry in the Halloween series.

Hell Fest (2018)

One of that small group of films set in theme parks (The Funhouse, Dark Ride, I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer - are all i can think of just off hand). This slasher about a group of young people who visit a Halloween carnival and end up stalked by a masked wearing serial killer was an unexpected surprise.

Unexpected because i'd seen as many negative comments regarding Hell Fest as positive, if not more, and i really enjoyed it. The whole thing looked so damn good. The Hell Fest was a fabulous place, all gaudy, day-glow colours - no running around in pitch black darkness here folks - in fact it's quite Argento like in it's use of colour and felt fresh and original - with a reasonably likable cast to root for and a couple of really well done practical murder set pieces. It only let itself down because there simply weren't enough deaths which was a real pity, but on the whole i thought this was excellent.

A film that felt like a genuine 80's slasher.

MrBarlow 21st October 2019 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House On The Edge Of The Park 1980.

After having car trouble a group of people enter a garage and invite the mechanic and his friend to a house party when the men turn on the group mayhem insues but did the group have it all planned.

This is a dark, disturbing and seen as oddly erotic film from Ruggero Deodato, it's full of lust and violence from the start with a strong attack on a girl. Deodato does his very best to keep things going and not let it trail off or let any of the characters become boring and some good casting with David Hess, Lorraine De Selle, Giovanni Lombardo Radice and Christian Borromeo. May not be for everyone but certainly worth a glance.

Has anyone seen the film Isoltation (2005), if so is it any Good?

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 613857)

Has anyone seen the film Isoltation (2005), if so is it any Good?

It's excellent. Very grim. The kind of horror film they don't make nowadays. definitely adult horror.