Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Frankie Teardrop 31st October 2020 07:58 PM

Seeing out this Octoberfest with a mini-binge:

ZOMBIE 5: KILLING BIRDS – I always feel a bit warm and fuzzy when I see the word ‘Filmirage’ pop up onscreen, and ‘Zombie 5’ is no exception. It’s from 1987, which puts it out of sync with those other flicks by Fulci, Mattei and Fragasso, but that’s a mere quibble. It has a different vibe, too, being less a clusterf*ck of random zombie action and more a mood piece, although you wouldn’t guess that from all the throat slashing at the start. In it, a bunch of college kids head out into the woods to find the last of the soon-to-be-extinct ‘grey-billed woodpeckers’, so credit to whoever came up with that one, it is slightly more imaginative than the usual camping trip. Robert Vaughn, of all people, crops up as the creepy ex-throat slasher turned professional twitcher, but the bulk of the film focuses on the kids as they wander around in a decrepit house. It could be boring, but a rank atmosphere sets in courtesy of the location and the cinematography, very well done by Joe D’Amato. After it decides that it needs to be more than a haunted house movie, some gore effects arrive along with night, fog and the undead, although the long-awaited killing birds only appear in the form of a skyful of swarming black dots right at the end. I really enjoyed ‘Zombie 5’, it has all the hallmarks of the late period Italian horror knock-offs that I so enjoy, from the strangely familiar sounding synths ‘n’ sequencer soundtrack to the chronic garishness that makes lines like “I meant to scare you, and I’m glad I did” sound natural and at home.

DEAD HEAT – A film I never used to really rate, but one I’ve grown increasingly fond of over the years. It’s a sharp splice between buddy-cop-action-comedy and eighties prosthetic horror – Treat Williams plays a zombie cop hot on the tail of a conspiracy of reanimators presided over by cackling Vincent Price. Great fun, with some wonderfully manic make up fx moments, such as the edible undead in the Chinese restaurant.

THE STONE TAPE – I have a very faint but at the same time quite vivid memory of watching a rerun of this in the early eighties. Only snippets stay with me, but I remember being suitably freaked out by the phosphorescent ‘thing’ at the end, which set me up for a preoccupation with nameless horrors that has lasted a lifetime. A founding text of all things hauntologically seventies, ‘The Stone Tape’ was written by Nigel Kneale and has Jane Asher as a spiritually sensitive scientist and Peter Bryant as her cocksure (in fact, cock full stop) boss, both a bit perturbed by the paranormal happenings besetting their lab. A dainty-looking Victorian spook gives rise to lots of furious speculation and algorithm-speak, but there’s something far more ominous echoing from some place deep within their surrounds. Flat TV play aesthetic aside, ‘The Stone Tape’ still has a formidable shudder running through it right up to those final moments. And what could be more sinister than that end-credit sequence?

Happy Hallowe'en everyone, and don't slip too many razors in with that candy!

MrBarlow 31st October 2020 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ape Man. 1943.

A scientist transforms himself in to a half man half ape creature and tries to find a cure in a way of body donors.

This was one of those so bad it was good movies from Bela Lugosi that's full of drama, horror and campiness, what amazes me about these films, they don't seem to be big budget, the running time is just over a hour (which is time well spent). The acting is what makes it worth sitting down, it does rely on the actors to make it eerie and gloomy even though a actor is in a monkey suit makes it laughable but you go with what was available to do in those days..

Attachment 229085

trebor8273 31st October 2020 09:07 PM

Tonight's viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHUv2ooG38

Nordicdusk 31st October 2020 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film 5

Attachment 229087

Beautifully crafted film that really makes you feel Halloween is actually happening. I love how everything ties together it just looks and feels Halloween and Sam is the coolest little thing. Its not Halloween without watching this.

trebor8273 31st October 2020 09:55 PM

Going end the night with something different and less horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXg6Uaxd2k

Justin101 31st October 2020 09:57 PM

Night of the Demons (1988)

https://i1.wp.com/halloweenshindig.c...td_angela3.gif

Well that's it for Halloween Season 2020, this was my 45th film and all new viewings!

What's the matter Judy? Don't you like your blind date?

Angela is throwing a Halloween party in an abandoned funeral home, like you do, and after dancing and drinking for a bit they try to talk to the spirits of the departed through a mirror. In 1988 they should have been self aware enough to know that you don't try and talk to the dead through a mirror in a funeral home, it's just not the done thing. Although stupidity aside it does lead to a fantastic camera shot of the whole party through fragments of broken mirror!

The best scene however is Angela's lone Goth Girl dancing by strobe light to Bauhaus, absolutely electric! I've decided I love Angela! The other cast members not so much, although Linnea as Suzanne was a highlight, I've never seen lipstick applied in such a manner before.

A good movie, a bit cheesy and very silly, but some good practical effects and makeup. This would probably be tons better if I was watching with some friends and some alcohol.

MrBarlow 31st October 2020 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show. 1975.

A newly engaged couple's car breaks down and they venture to a house to seek assistance unaware the owner is is creating another life in his lab.

Say what you can about this film, it's a drama, comedy, musical and must have been horror for guys to walk in heels, some woman make it look easy, a film that was poorly received when it was released and now a cult favourite to which I still enjoy watching...and ok dancing as well, come on you gotta dance to the time warp every time you hear it. Perfect setting though, heavy rain and a dark gothic mansion, it's the start of a good movie.

Attachment 229088

I may end this horror fest here, if I do just want to say thanks to all with your likes on the comments and pic gallery, you guys rock, love ya all, stay safe people

Demoncrat 31st October 2020 10:22 PM

Danza Macabra (1964, Sergio Corbucci)

Yes, I know it's called something else, but this is how my my one starts ahem.
A writer spends the night in a proverbial ancestral pile. The other tenants are ... a difficult bunch to warm to. :skull:

Years it's been with this one. Set in an England that only existed in the Italian imagination, this sombre wee chamber piece still works. Can love come from beyond? Let's find out ...

Had to watch something gothic fer flips sake. :ghostclap: and this will do nicely. Steele exudes a skittish fragility.

MrBarlow 31st October 2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 639211)
Danza Macabra (1964, Sergio Corbucci)

Yes, I know it's called something else, but this is how my my one starts ahem.
A writer spends the night in a proverbial ancestral pile. The other tenants are ... a difficult bunch to warm to. :skull:

Years it's been with this one. Set in an England that only existed in the Italian imagination, this sombre wee chamber piece still works. Can love come from beyond? Let's find out ...

Had to watch something gothic fer flips sake. :ghostclap: and this will do nicely. Steele exudes a skittish fragility.

Love this film I watched it one night, it was titled Castle Of Blood, good choice Demon

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2020 10:49 PM

October 30th

3 Attachment(s)
Don't Let Them In (2020)

Well this was a nice surprise. I thought it was an American made movie on the lines of The Purge but what it actually is a British low budgeter about a couple of social workers who on Halloween visit an old hotel to see their client recently released from prison on a charge of child murder.

This takes it's time to set the scene but the acting and dialogue is good. I suppose those who want to bracket a movie will say it's Purge like but for me Ben Wheatley's Kill List is more of a reference point in the way the plot twists and turns and basically morphs into a totally different movie about ritualistic murder during the final twenty minutes.

As a movie from a first time director it was remarkably competent. I liked it.

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

This was my twelfth viewing of this superbly realised Halloween anthology movie.

Along with The Witch and House of 1000 Corpses it's my favourite horror film of the twenty first century.

Happy Halloween Scooby Doo (2020)

Bad idea to leave this until last as i nodded off shortly after the film turned into Mad Max Fury Road.

Up until then it was a lot of fun. Full review in 12 months time.

Nordicdusk 31st October 2020 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film 6

Attachment 229106

Right from that first scene which is my favourite opening to any film the mood is set. Everything about this film is outstanding music setting atmosphere story acting my second favourite soundtrack of all time my favourite is film 7 ;)

Every single time im fishing or near the sea i think about this film.

Demoncrat 1st November 2020 09:36 AM

Indeed nord.

One last one, and it was a humdinger :skull:

Garden Of The Dead (1972, John Hayes)

What a find (YT). Only an hour! (CUT??)
A load of prisoners plan a breakout on the eve of being transferred to another facility. They also start huffing formaldehyde ahem. This puts a slight cramp in their plans later on :skull:
Plus the mixed messages they get from authority figures (one gets to cuddle a partner just outside the gate, others get shot point blank when discovered escaping!!) can't help their frame of mind. As US regional horror goes, this was par for the course, even if a few scenes stood out for sheer effort hahaha. An ODDITY. :ghostclap:

Justin101 1st November 2020 10:11 AM

If anyone would like peruse my full list I have collated it all together on Leterboxd;

https://letterboxd.com/jmc/list/halloween-2020/

I think for 2021 I will do what Nordy did and do new watches for 30 days and proven classics for the main event, while I did enjoy the three films I watched yesterday I feel like I could have had a better time watching films that I already know and love :)

Nordicdusk 1st November 2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 639229)
If anyone would like peruse my full list I have collated it all together on Leterboxd;

I think for 2021 I will do what Nordy did and do new watches for 30 days and proven classics for the main event, while I did enjoy the three films I watched yesterday I feel like I could have had a better time watching films that I already know and love :)

It really makes Halloween that little more special when you watch your favorites on the night.

Nordicdusk 1st November 2020 11:00 AM

I managed to get in Halloween and Halloween 3 after last night i dont really need to say anything about them never get sick of watching them both amazing films.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st November 2020 11:45 AM

I was watching the Six Nations rugby yesterday so didn't manage to watch any horror films, the first time this has happened in many years. I plan to catch up on my Halloween viewing by extending October by a week.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st November 2020 12:18 PM

October 31st. Halloween

2 Attachment(s)
Halloween (1978) / Halloween II (1981)

A glorious three hour seasonal epic telling the blood soaked story of the night HE came home!

Isn't Carpenter's reworking of the Halloween theme for Halloween II just f*cking awesome!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st November 2020 12:23 PM

Hellfire!

I'm missing these movies already.

It's the same every year, the first couple of weeks are brilliant, then a spot of horror jadedness kicks in before we hit the triumphant final straight.

Now a November of not a lot of horror begins before the annual Decemberdike of 31 'new to me' discs.

Can't wait!

Nostalgic 1st November 2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 638421)
Thats almost as much as i remember i only just watched it :lol:

Really wanted to like BTG....but didn't.

Slow, introspective & like the Kevin Smith version of jumangi. Without dick & fart jokes.

Needs a re-watch methinks!

Nostalgic 1st November 2020 05:20 PM

Let's do a November of horrir if we can!

Dave Boy 1st November 2020 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Attachment 229119 Attachment 229120

And that's it all over for another year. Two more movies than I originally thought I would. I had plans to watch Halloween II as well but had to forget it due to work this morning.
Too much going on here at home and work scuppered more viewings.

Well done all. :thumb:

Susan Foreman 1st November 2020 08:09 PM

Halloween...

I started with 'Cannibal Holocaust' (1980) in the afternoon. I don't know what possessed me, but instead of the full(ish) Shamless release, I chose to watch the butchered Vipco one. What an incoherent mess! One of the most powerful films ever made was reduced to a mindless jumble.

That was followed by the 'Alice Cooper Theatre Of Death' live DVD. Where other people have 'Trick or Treat' or 'Halloween', this is *MY* traditional October 31st watch. It is the perfect blend of music and theatre and for someone who is very familiar with the Alice back catalogue, the story that is presented is sublime - Yes, there is a story. It's not just a selection of songs being lumped together, a lot of thought went into the show with a glimpse into the twisted mind of a teenage sociopath in the milliseconds between the ringing of the school bell to signify the end of term

I finished up with Sam Raimi's classic debut feature. The Sony Blu-Ray of 'The Evil Dead' (1981) looks fantastic, and although I have seen the film dozens of times before, I was seeing things that I had never seen before. Mind you, the picture is so clear, it does tend to show up the short-comings in the prosthetic make-up effects. The film is still as sensationally scary and the gore is as unmatched as it was back in the day on VHS. A true horror classic

MrBarlow 1st November 2020 08:23 PM

Aww Susan please say you do have the uncut version of Cannibal holocaust instead of the butchered version.

MacBlayne 1st November 2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 639254)

Nervous November?

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st November 2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 639254)

Yay!!! That means i can rewatch all the ones i fell asleep during that i haven't even mentioned on here.

nosferatu42 2nd November 2020 12:13 AM

What is this horrir??

Demoncrat 2nd November 2020 01:39 AM

A fear of mirrors??

:skull:

I'll get me cloak ....

bleakshaun 2nd November 2020 03:34 PM

I was planning to at least watch 6 films last week, but I ended in my bed due to overworking myself so never got any done. Better luck next year.
I'm ****ing done with this year

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nostalgic 2nd November 2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 639340)
I was planning to at least watch 6 films last week, but I ended in my bed due to overworking myself so never got any done. Better luck next year.

Same. I'm struggling to relax & enjoy films. Work plus home are manic (schools back tomorrow so 7 weeks of homework to do with my son), the panic buying is through the roof & I can't wait for lockdown, hope it thins out the hoppers a bit.

November horror marathon sounds good, but I don't know how many I'll get through in all honesty, but I'll give it a go.

Watching C.H.U.D.
Nice & grimey 80's vhs gold!

See also: Maniac, Street Trash, It's Alive.

Demoncrat 2nd November 2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 639340)

HUG

Justin101 5th November 2020 08:26 AM

Katee Sackhoff reacts to watching her first film role, Halloween Resurrection, she's claiming it's the first time she's seen it, but i'm unsure about that. It's still very amusing though :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAavUHbma2U

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th November 2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 639527)
Katee Sackhoff reacts to watching her first film role, Halloween Resurrection, she's claiming it's the first time she's seen it, but i'm unsure about that. It's still very amusing though :lol:

That was much more enjoyable and interesting than I expected. I really like the way she gave information about how blood injuries are made to look realistic, the tricks used to make it look like she flashed her bra and the potential implications for such underhand tactics on an actor's career, and the range of faces she pulled while watching the film was hilarious!

Justin101 6th November 2020 12:55 PM

I've seen a lot of reaction videos and most of them are naff but that one is actually interesting, it's part reaction part commentary track!

Plus it's better than the actual film :lol:

Nordicdusk 19th August 2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 639635)
I've seen a lot of reaction videos and most of them are naff but that one is actually interesting, it's part reaction part commentary track!

Plus it's better than the actual film :lol:

Loving the new pic and sig Justin :rockon:

Anyway seeing this thread again reminds me i need to compile a list of 30 Unseen films for October 10 of will be Paul Naschy that i haven't gotten around to yet.

The hopefully the other 20 wont be as bad as last years picks :lol:

MrBarlow 19th August 2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 657868)
Loving the new pic and sig Justin :rockon:

Anyway seeing this thread again reminds me i need to compile a list of 30 Unseen films for October 10 of will be Paul Naschy that i haven't gotten around to yet.

The other hopefully the other 20 wont be as bad as last years picks :lol:

Think last year was one of those years that some of us made bad decisions to watch i know I did :lol:

Justin101 19th August 2021 03:36 PM

At the moment I don't know if I have the mental capacity to dedicate to 30 new horror films, I'm still going to do it but I might not watch a new film EVERY night. I need to have a look back to see what I watched last year because I can't even remember... Night of the Demons for sure.

Justin101 19th August 2021 03:41 PM

I watched some pretty great films last year, all new to me (apart from one or two) and I don't think I'll be topping that in 2021 :lol:

MrBarlow 19th August 2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657872)
At the moment I don't know if I have the mental capacity to dedicate to 30 new horror films, I'm still going to do it but I might not watch a new film EVERY night. I need to have a look back to see what I watched last year because I can't even remember... Night of the Demons for sure.

Night of the demons is always a definite must at Halloween, I'm saving Hell Night for October at some point hopefully and 28 days/weeks later.

Nordicdusk 19th August 2021 03:58 PM

Yes Mr B a lot of bad choices were made with my watches some newer low budget films were such a chore to watch. I also need to plan my list of favourites for Halloween night.

Nordicdusk 19th August 2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657872)

It can be painful some times you just need the comfort of an old favourite to get you through. I should if held of and kept Saint Maude for October too DAMN AND BLAST