Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2014, 10:37 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
What did you think of Happy Hell Night Demdike? I haven't seen it in years and remember being indifferent towards it. I need to revisit it soon.
I reviewed it a couple of days back in The What Have You Seen? thread. https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/hor...tml#post419931
Jinx_Barkman and keirarts like this.
Old 6th October 2014, 04:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

[1] The People Under The Stairs
I’ve often found this to be Craven’s most interesting film, far from his best, but alongside Shocker, a curious oddity that doesn’t quite fit in with its siblings. It plays a little like The ‘Burbs set in a ghetto. Deliciously suffused with black humour, at times frustratingly too silly, but effortlessly enjoyable.

[2] Bloody Homecoming
I found myself hugely in disagreement with the main criticism levelled against this film in reviews, that it doesn’t do anything new. I hate how that is, bewilderingly, considered a negative. Slasher movies have a formula, and it works. Why attempt to fix something that isn’t broke? The makers clearly had the same philosophy, and I respect that. If you have an original twist on the formula, go for it, but if not, don’t waste your audience’s time or insult them by shoehorning something in that doesn’t work. That being said, everything feels a little green in Bloody Homecoming, the cast, the characters and most disappointingly, the execution.

[3] Don’t Go To The Reunion
(Inc. Bonus Shorts: Blood Brothers, Popularity Killer and Teddy)
This is easily the best modern micro-budget slasher movie that I’ve seen. With the killer despatching victims with methods lifted directly from slasher movies, it’s littered with fan service that fans of the subgenre will eat up. Deftly executed, well shot, at times strikingly composed, with some solid performances (bar the odd supporting cast member), it’s surprising the film was crowd-funded. The ending felt a little too Scream inspired, but didn’t spoil the fun. Looking forward to see what the folks at Slasher Studios do next.

[4] The Night Of The Hunter
Many likely won’t consider this a horror movie. Strictly speaking it’s not, but there’s a sense of malevolence in Robert Mitchum’s performance that makes for a chilling experience. I’ve also found the cinematography evocative of many a silent horror classic. That scene where Powell is in the basement and reaches out for the escaping children is oddly reminiscent of Frankenstein’s lurch. Despite appearing to be a deceptively simple tale of good and evil, there’s a rich multi-layered complexity of themes bubbling under the surface.

[5] House On Straw Hill
I think it’s safe to say Linda Hayden isn’t a fan of House On Straw Hill, nor of her co-stars, it would seem. Which is a little sad, because it’s a genuinely effective, sexually charged pulp curio. At it’s core a simple tale, but delivered as a hallucinogenic assault to the viewer. I wouldn’t quite call it top tier Video Nasty, but it’s certainly encroaching.
Old 6th October 2014, 04:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Was slightly concerned that wouldn't work, cross forum posting. Would be easier with we had this: emoticon, with the same :dead2: code as Blu-ray.com though!
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th October 2014, 04:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Was slightly concerned that wouldn't work, cross forum posting. Would be easier with we had this: emoticon, with the same :dead2: code as Blu-ray.com though!
We should really get some more horror-themed/spooky emoticons for Halloween etc.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

6th. The Monster Club

This was a first time viewing for me. I had a ton of fun with this curiously humorous take on the horror anthology sub-genre. Watching a couple horror legends share the screen together was wonderful. It did have a few dodgy segments including the chase sequence in the final story. Those damn songs during the wraparound portion are going to be stuck in my head, though not as bad as the song in Night Train To Terror.
Old 7th October 2014, 02:28 PM
Cultist

Yea am doing something similar "The October Challenge" minimum of 31 horror films in the month & at least 16 must be first time views... I intend on watching at least 31 first time view Asian horror films. Some people go completely crazy and watch over 100+
Jinx_Barkman and keirarts like this.
Old 7th October 2014, 03:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I wonder how people find the time to watch that many? I mean, I would love to be able to do that.
keirarts, shel and klownz like this.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I did a Halloween marathon in 2012 and managed to watch 91 films. It was fun, but you've got to be in the mood and committed throughout - I'm not 'feeling' it as much this year so am taking things slow and casual.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I did a Halloween marathon in 2012 and managed to watch 91 films. It was fun, but you've got to be in the mood and committed throughout - I'm not 'feeling' it as much this year so am taking things slow and casual.
I know how you feel. I'm usually part way through the Halloween sequels by now but i just can't be bothered at the moment.

I've been doing it for so many years, when i picked out Halloween Resurrection (the worst) to watch, it all flickered in front of my eyes, every kill....so i put it back.

Great list as always B_E.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I know how you feel. I'm usually part way through the Halloween sequels by now but i just can't be bothered at the moment.

I've been doing it for so many years, when i picked out Halloween Resurrection (the worst) to watch, it all flickered in front of my eyes, every kill....so i put it back.

Great list as always B_E.
Thanks.

Obviously personal mood plays a massive part, but I think it can become a bit of a chore if you strictly and repeatedly adhere to a marathon over a set period. I sometimes start watching the end of September or earlier to break myself in gently. Plus, sometimes it can be fun if there are a few people doing it, meaning that the 'competitive' and regimented nature of it doesn't feel as taxing... forced or chain watching can certainly kill the fun pretty quickly though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!