Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2015, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Porcelain tea light holder from Poundland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1884 (Large).jpg (58.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th October 2015, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well finished Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter and I really enjoyed it, up next to night a troma double bill. Both first time viewings

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445019076.980055.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445019085.456881.jpg
Old 16th October 2015, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished rabid grannies, but decided not to watch tromeo and Juliet but have went with this instead. Once it's finished back to watching Buck Rogers and street hawk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445025743.439358.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445025752.189127.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445025760.154020.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445025768.207854.jpg
Old 16th October 2015, 10:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Starring Paul No-"Stephen"-This-Time Rudd!

Well, this is it. The reason I bought the boxset. The legendary Producer's Cut.

And it's pretty bad as well. But it's weirdly fascinating in that it commits to the bizarre Druid angle instead of chickening out for a limp clone explanation in the theatrical cut.

SPOILER:
Jamie Lloyd's exit is nowhere as disgusting in this version. But I still have major issues with it. This cut has that Jamie was kidnapped at the end of Halloween 5. Over these six years she was abused and impregnated by Michael Myers. I find this to be too unpleasant for a Halloween film. Although, maybe it's because Danielle Harris was so damn effective in the fourth and fifth film, that I wanted to hug her and shield her from Michael. For this happen to her, just made me feel a little ill.

SPOILER:
On a more positive note - while the ending is, as Intel would put it, dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb, it did provide a more dignified ending for Dr. Loomis. I still would not have gone with this ending since Donald Pleasance died during production (I would have ended on a more hopeful tone - Tommy, Kara, Danny and baby Stephen starting a new life thanks to Dr. Loomis' intervention) but it doesn't disrespect Mr. Pleasance's memory. Plus, this version has Dr. Loomis weep a bit over Michael's body - as he has failed Michael. It was a lovely character moment.

One thing I really liked about this film was the sense of melancholia that permeated throughout the film. That these characters were doomed because fate demanded, no, needed them to be doomed. That Michael himself was a victim of a horrific necessity. Of course, this is ruined by making the antagonists mustache-twiringly evil.

I think if you were to take the Dr. Loomis - Michael Myers dynamic from Parts 4 and 5, and combine it with Part 6's doomy tone, you would have an interesting existentialist horror film. However, this could just be me wanting to watch Phantasm 4 again.

The extras are pretty good at explaining the whole sordid history behind the film's production (short answer: f***ing Miramax!). Daniel Farrands also goes into detail about what his original script was in the commentary. To be honest, it sounds pretty poor as well - fan-fiction with exploding helicopters. However, Farrands does admit that, looking back, he's not too fond of his script either.

Funnily enough, after all the vilification he has received from Halloween fans over the years, director Joe Chappelle comes out of the debacle looking good. Cast and crew say he was a decent guy and easy to work with. While it's obvious that he was just a director-for-hire and had no real devotion for the series, he wasn't going out of his way to piss off fans. He just suffered from being in the middle of producer / studio arguments, Farrands' script being constantly rewritten, a reduced budget (money was taken out of this and put into Hellraiser: Bloodline), and his locations were suddenly hit by a freak snow storm which forced him to shoot mostly interior scenes.
Old 17th October 2015, 10:09 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Cheers for that. Never knew such a thing existed. Have you read it? And if so, is it any good?

By the way, it wasn't Armageddon 2000 I saw a while back. It was Holocaust 2000.
Yes, it's much better than what passes for the movie.

Omen IV is written by the same author as the 3rd (Gordon McGill), and when you're done with that, there's Omen V: The Abomination, also written by McGill
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 17th October 2015, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Last night I watched Fulci's The Black Cat with my black cat. This is him watching the ending, he is actually watching the film here.

Anyway I drifted somewhat from my connections and now Netflix have more, old Asian action, I might find myself e of completely drifting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20151017_00_52_18_Pro.jpg (96.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 17th October 2015, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

After watching an okay film called The Ghost Maker i followed it up with some classic John Carpenter. - The Fog.

Except i didn't, not really. I slept throughout the film - Damn you Stevie Wayne and your KAB witching hour sultry voice!

One of my top 5 horrors of all time!

Old 17th October 2015, 05:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

First viewing of the night

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445103888.198783.jpg
Old 17th October 2015, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Second film of the night

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445108420.471962.jpg
Old 17th October 2015, 07:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Second film of the night
Second film of the night? I have no motivation I'm not even on my first, and it's a Saturday! I have some damn painting show on. Someone come push the buttons

Like this? Share it using the links below!