Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2015, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Crimson Peak last night. It's a wonderful film. Full of gothic imagery, insects, tightly laced bodices, dark family secrets, walls that ooze with blood red clay and ghosts. Speaking of the ghosts, those of you familiar with The Devils Backbone will see the similarity in the look. Ruined skin and spiders web like wounds to indicate the cause of death.

Onto the cinematography, you can tell it's a del Toro film instantly but there is a definite nod to Suspiria in the colour palette, we're talking vibrant greens and pinks clashing on the screen, lots of red and lots of black!

I think some people will be disappointed because it's not a full-tilt horror film like it's been billed as, it's more what happens if you add horror elements to a Bronte novel, it's like Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights with ghosts.

Jessica Chastain is simply amazing as Lucille...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th October 2015, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finally, I've put something in. Again not linking and instead revisiting another Shameless release, this time it's The RatMan (1988). I suppose I could just say they're all Italian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rat Man.jpg (95.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th October 2015, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Finally, I've put something in. Again not linking and instead revisiting another Shameless release, this time it's The RatMan (1988). I suppose I could just say they're all Italian.
It's the critter from the shitter!

Love that tagline.
Old 17th October 2015, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've had a enough horror for the night so it's back to 80s tv. Watching Americas greatest hero after that it's either an episode of hart to hart or hill street blues
Old 17th October 2015, 10:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Night of the Living Dead this evening, out of the original 3 films it's the one I watch the least but it's such a good film, I think it's easy to forget how good it is with so much praise heaped upon Dawn all of the time. It has a bleak ending as well, I always appreciate that in a horror film.

Up to date film list, 20/31

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445120077.454428.jpg

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th October 2015, 10:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

After the miserable Halloween 6, we're back to having fun in...

Halloween H20 is not an amazing film by any means (despite a short running time, the middle act does feel dragged out), but it's a fun little film.

Jamie Lee Curtis is excellent again as Laurie Strode (or Keri Tate as she's now known as), and Josh Hartnett reminds me of Harry Enfield's Kevin.

I like Chris Durand as Michael Myers. He manages to imbue personality to Michael Myers. The fantastic moment where Laurie and Michael come face-to-face is a great example.

Steve Miner's direction is also worthy of praise. Although I would never call him one of the greats, I always felt he was somewhat underrated. His rhythm and compositions are without fault.

While I did say that the film does suffer from a dull middle act, it is great whenever Michael Myers comes into the story (the restroom scene - ). An atmospheric opening, and a thrilling finale make Halloween H20 worth the price of entry.

And that ending? Wow! A fitting ending to the series. Well, it would have been except... we'll get to that soon

SPOILER:
I just want to mention the ending again. There's something amazing about how, in such a simple gesture, they manage to inspire sympathy for Michael. He just reaches out to Laurie for help, not like "I've learnt the errors of my ways and I'm sorry" but in that he's not aware of the consequences of his actions. You realise that, mentally, he's never moved beyond his six-year old self. He's bigger, stronger and faster, but he's still just a "child". And I think Laurie realises this and it destroys her when she does what she needs to do. For a slasher sequel, this is a such an impactful ending.
Old 18th October 2015, 12:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Going to give this another chance
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (46.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 18th October 2015, 02:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I couldn't bear to move onto the next Halloween "film", so I opted for this fun remake instead.

A lot to love here. Nice, gloopy effects work, a vicious yet funny script that does a wonderful job at updating the themes of the original film. Perhaps the best "3D cinema" scene ever. And Shawnee Smith is great in how she segues from the all-American girl-next-door to total badass.

I suppose the only weak link is Kevin Dillon's Brian Flagg. Not that his performance is bad, but his character has not aged well. He may have made the Tiger Beat readership swoon back in 1988 but nowadays, it's like watching a lost episode of Happy Days where Fonzy lost his cool.

I suppose I can't put it off any longer so here's my next viewing...

Old 18th October 2015, 04:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've just suffered through Halloween: Resurrection. Words fail me. I cannot describe how atrocious this is. It even manages to make Katee Sackhoff unlikable.

So, behold - the death and desecration of the series:

Old 18th October 2015, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445188145.585912.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445188155.726035.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!