Old 2nd October 2016, 09:15 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks, Nos.

I may skip the first film and go straight to the second then.

I'm not really that into modern home invasion films. The victims always seem to make the stupidest moves or not at all when they have the chance. I'm always frustrated by them come the end. Them (Ils) was probably the only one i really liked.

Give me Last House on the Beach any day of the week.
Them (Ils) is a highly effective film and one which I will probably watch this month when I'm going through some (relatively) recently released continental European films, with others being Inside (an excellent home invasion film), Martyrs, and The Orphanage.
MacBlayne and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just watched Scanners 2 finally after having the bluray for years. Y'know what it actually holds up. Decent effects, another head explosion! Probably check out part 3 tomorrow.

Now to spend the rest of the day finishing Luke Cage!
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 1st october

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Im a little late with the Gene Wilder tributes,but it goes without saying that when he was at his peek,he was probably one of the funniest comedy actors that ever graced our screen.And while Young Frankenstein is ostensibly a comedy film,Mel Brooks obviously has a love for the Universal Monster movies,because his film is so full of great details and some rather marvellous sets that really bring back and evoke all those Frankenstein films.And filming it in black and white,kind of gives it an ageless quality.You can spot numerous references to most if not all those Frankenstein films,but with an obvious Mel Brooks twist,he resists lampooning the actual films,he's not taking the piss out off these films,but just letting these characters inhabit this world of old movies,Of course it is chock-full of some of the best,greatest and funniest dialogue that has ever been quoted,I mean its full of ridiculously quotable dialogue from "Fronkensteen." Igor "Abby... Normal." to Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.Igor: What hump? . Marty Feldman was seemingly born to play Igor,with his bulging eyes and roaming hump? In fact the whole cast is pitch perfect from Gene Hackman as the blindman, Madeline Kahn as Elizabeth to the rather remarkable Peter Boyle as The Monster but it really is Gene Wilder's film,whether he is trying to knee old men in the groin or rolling in the hay with Teri Garr,A sheer delight and a high point in both Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder's careers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0031.jpg (97.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 2nd October 2016, 01:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Undertow (2003)

Six friends go on a weekend canoe trip and arrive at the strange town of Old Mines. When they refuse to move on soon, the mayor releases the Boy, a 7-foot-tall deformed creature who enjoys tearing people to shreds.

From producer Eric Stanze (Scrapbook) and starring that films Emily Haack, The Undertow is a grimy throwback to the old Friday the 13th films especially as 'the boy' wears a sack over his head ala Jason in F13p2.

Although it takes an age to get going the acting for this type of film is pretty good. Some scenes go on way too long, the sheriff sequence on the road for one, but once 'the boy' is loose The Undertow is a quite satisfying low budget slasher film.

For very low budget film making The Undertow has good cinematography, memorable music and even better gore effects. In no way is it as sleazy as Scrapbook but some sequences such as 'the boy' playing with a half dead girl as if she were a doll are not for the squeamish.

The Undertow isn't for everyone, it's too grungy for that, but those who like their gore should enjoy the goings on here.

Old 2nd October 2016, 04:19 PM
Cult Addict

Tonight I'm going to have a double bill of Deathline/Raw Meat and Pieces. From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Last edited by mr 420; 2nd October 2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2nd October 2016, 04:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surely thats where you finish?

I always double bill it with Halloween II on the actual night of the 31st.
I've done that myself, but I'm going another way and saving Suspiria, Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and Evil Dead for the finale of an ABUK Halloween.
Old 2nd October 2016, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
I've done that myself, but I'm going another way and saving Suspiria, Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and Evil Dead for the finale of an ABUK Halloween.
Good choices all.
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Next up in ABUKtober, (haven't seen this since I bought it)

Old 3rd October 2016, 05:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 2nd oct

Childs Play (1988)

How the hell did they pull it off?a killer doll movie is not ain't exactly a new idea,but when you first see Chucky ,he certainly does not look like the new serial killer franchise he turned out to be.I mean with his ginger hair (no offence to any gingers out there) and his little dungarees he looks about as frightening as a Chuckle brother. And not to mention his stupid little freckly face and those baby eye lashes,he looks horribly smug with his catch phrases and all the Good Guy ideology on his box. Of course most of the genius behind Chucky apart from the various degrees of special effects depending on much damage Chucky has received in the film,is of course the voice work of the great Brad Dourif,it goes without saying if there is no Brad Dourif voicing Chucky then you ain't got a Childs Play movies.It is bizarre seeing this little doll swear and curse and attack people with that ominous voice booming out of his little plastic skull. All said and done I have pretty much enjoyed all the Chucky movies,and its mostly down to Mr Dourif giving what can only be described as a spirited performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0006.jpg (99.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 3rd October 2016, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The shining (extended cut)

Have to say I think I enjoyed the theatrical version more as it seems to run better while this is a little to slow and on the long side. Still a good film but not a patch on the superior book. 8/10

Next up wishmaster.

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd October 2016 at 07:11 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!