All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2016, 07:05 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Film No.12

fetusdvdcoverart.jpg

Kevin has just lost his wife while giving birth to their first child. Descending on a rapid downward spiral Kevin contemplates suicide but he cant go through with it instead he heads to an underground store selling rare vinyl extreme films and occult objects. The guy behind the counter recommends a book to contact the dead but warns Kevin to be careful and prepared for what he is getting himself into but these words of caution fall on deaf ear Keven is only interested in contacting his wife. It does not take long before Kevins life turns into complete chaos involving murder sacrifice and mutilation.

There is barely a word muttered through the whole film just a few exchanges here and there. The whole focus is on the mental breakdown of Kevin and how far he is willing to go to bring his wife back from the dead. The whole film feels like one big nightmare that he cannot wake up from. There is tons of blood from start to finish and most of the gore looks great for what budget they had everything is practical which shows no matter how little money you have you can still do it properly or at least make a good stab at it. We get everything from smashed faces self inflicted gunshot to the vagina to picking bugs out of a penis and more vagina based horror. This is not for everyone only for anyone looking for some over the top extreme gore so if thats not your thing better look else where for your horror fix. As for me i found it really entertaining not one you would watch over and over but well worth a revisit from time to time.

7/10
Old 12th October 2016, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Almost Human (2013)

A gooey, lean, low budget alien abduction/return film that has its heart firmly planted in the '80s, homaging films such as The Thing and Xtro, to name but a couple.

Some nice practical effects can't really disguise some of the poor acting and the limitations of the shoe-string budget no matter how much it tries to put them front and centre, unfortunately. Despite the fairly short run-time and sparse script there is also a sense of this one overstaying its welcome a little.

An interesting experiment which shows a lot of passion and love for the genre and based on what I've seen here, I'd certainly be inclined to check out the director's subsequent film 'The Mind's Eye' if the opportunity arises.

51/100
Old 12th October 2016, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I actually gave this a watch a while ago. I thought it was a bit poor...

I have to say, I don't think that reviewer is too far off the mark with his observations, but I think his points are what I liked about it. It was just a bit of a laugh. Ripping off a load of successful films to try and bring a bit of bread to the table. That's the heart and soul of a lot of exploitation films. I didn't like the original Amityville Horror, so I went into this one not expecting too much and I was pleasantly surprised. I taped it off the Horror Channel, so I didn't part with any of my own bread to have the pleasure of watching it. I probably wouldn't have even bothered if it didn't have 3D in the title...

:-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 12th October 2016, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spawn. 7.2/10

Old 12th October 2016, 09:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I have to say, I don't think that reviewer is too far off the mark with his observations, but I think his points are what I liked about it.
That was my review for it.

Have you seen the second film? The first half is rather decent before it degrades into a poor Exorcist rip-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Ripping off a load of successful films to try and bring a bit of bread to the table.
If you haven't already, check out The Visitor. It's like a clone of The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby and The Omen but then runs off in its own strange direction. It's absolute madness and features the weirdest cast ever (including Sam Peckinpah as a doctor).
Old 12th October 2016, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
That was my review for it.

If you haven't already, check out The Visitor. It's like a clone of The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby and The Omen but then runs off in its own strange direction. It's absolute madness and features the weirdest cast ever (including Sam Peckinpah as a doctor).
one of the most weird films i have seen and leaves you at the end think WTF have i just watched!

think its one to add to the halloween pile
MacBlayne and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 12th October 2016, 09:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Food of the Gods (1976, USA)

The Food of the Gods (1976)

food_of_gods_poster_03.jpg

You would think that H.G.Wells would have better things to write about rather than giant insects and rodents,unlike Bert I.Gordon who obviously had nothing better to do than direct films about giant insects and rodents.. Perhaps Bert is playing on our inherent childhood fears of creepy crawlies,which would explain the giant plastic wasps.Although I can not ever remember ever being concerned about being pecked to death by a giant chicken or as a child ever worrying about it. Amongst all the silliness of creatures being giant,there are a couple of unexpected moments that do make you go Eughhh,namely the giant sized maggots that attach themselves to Ida Lupino's arm. On the other hand the normal sized rats gnawing on the toy Volkswagen and its occupant was a little under whelming. And what is causing this enlarging of the animal glands??? Well the food ozzes up from the ground (yeah a bit like The Stuff) and because the farmer and his wife do not know what else to do with it so yeah lets feed this unknown crap to our farm animals, I mean what could go wrong? If Bert is using the giant animals as subtext,then remember where ever there is giant animals,giant animal shit will follow. As one character points out to Ida,your only sin is your god damn stupidity,and its some cracking dialogue like that and the fact that everybody involved seems to be taking it seriously which gives the film its charm.

Lorna Scott: Nothing happens to the full-grown chickens, is that right?

Mrs. Skinner: Well, they didn't grow none, if that's what you mean. But I didn't say nothing happened to 'em.

Lorna Scott: Well, what did happen?

Mrs. Skinner: They got eat... by the real big ones.

Old 12th October 2016, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Food of the Gods (1976)

You would think that H.G.Wells would have better things to write about rather than giant insects and rodents,unlike Bert I.Gordon who obviously had nothing better to do than direct films about giant insects and rodents.. Perhaps Bert is playing on our inherent childhood fears of creepy crawlies,which would explain the giant plastic wasps.Although I can not ever remember ever being concerned about being pecked to death by a giant chicken or as a child ever worrying about it. Amongst all the silliness of creatures being giant,there are a couple of unexpected moments that do make you go Eughhh,namely the giant sized maggots that attach themselves to Ida Lupino's arm. On the other hand the normal sized rats gnawing on the toy Volkswagen and its occupant was a little under whelming. And what is causing this enlarging of the animal glands??? Well the food ozzes up from the ground (yeah a bit like The Stuff) and because the farmer and his wife do not know what else to do with it so yeah lets feed this unknown crap to our farm animals, I mean what could go wrong? If Bert is using the giant animals as subtext,then remember where ever there is giant animals,giant animal shit will follow. As one character points out to Ida,your only sin is your god damn stupidity,and its some cracking dialogue like that and the fact that everybody involved seems to be taking it seriously which gives the film its charm.

Lorna Scott: Nothing happens to the full-grown chickens, is that right?

Mrs. Skinner: Well, they didn't grow none, if that's what you mean. But I didn't say nothing happened to 'em.

Lorna Scott: Well, what did happen?

Mrs. Skinner: They got eat... by the real big ones.
I enjoyed that review, sir.
Old 12th October 2016, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Brighten the thread up a bit...

The Shining (1980)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shiny happy people.jpg (93.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (1).jpg (91.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (2).jpg (88.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (3).jpg (93.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (4).jpg (92.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (5).jpg (93.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (6).jpg (91.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shiny happy people (7).jpg (94.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th October 2016, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Phenomena (1985)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey.jpg (96.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (1).jpg (96.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (2).jpg (98.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (3).jpg (95.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (4).jpg (97.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (5).jpg (99.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (6).jpg (97.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg loomis and the monkey (7).jpg (109.4 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!