All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2016, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Tower of Evil (1972)

When a group of tourists are found slaughtered on Snape Island, sole survivor, the sexy Candace Glendenning is suspected of the crimes. However when therapist Anthony Valentine shows her some multicolured lights the truth begins to come out about what happened. Meanwhile a group of archeologists head out to the lighthouse on Snape Island in search of pagan artifacts.

Plot wise the first hour of Tower of Evil is all over the place. Some scenes showing what had happened and others showing what was taking place. Flitting randomly between identikit 70's youths distinguished only by the fact that Glendenning and Robin Askwith were with the original party. Fortunately there's a hell of a lot taking place. The film is chock full of nudity, sex and gruesome violence - and that's just the quieter moments. Heads roll, hands are severed and Askwith is speared by a pagan artifact and that's just for starters.

The film then takes a left turn and decides it wants to be more than just a gory slasher so the script throws in the ancient god Baal - the god of fertility - perhaps that's why there's so much shagging taking place. Whilst it's a little simplistic towards it's pagan rituals it really doesn't matter as the whole thing is so balmy and wildly entertaining.

The island and lighthouse is all fog bound and wonderfully Gothic in nature meaning that although set in the present day (70's) it feels like a classic old dark house film which takes it out of the realm of say, Pete Walker, and into the domain of Hammer.

Tower of Evil is one of those films that seemingly ran on British tv every other Friday night in the early 80's yet seems rather under appreciated when it comes to best horrors of the decade lists, by myself also. It's a shame because Tower of Evil is ****ing awesome.

Old 14th October 2016, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy (1932) 9.2/10

Old 14th October 2016, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I was driving towards Preston this lunch time when i noticed a figure dressed in white by the side of the road about a 100 yards away. As i got closer the figure seemed to melt into the trees and was nowhere to be seen as i passed the spot where he/she was stood.

It appeared odd that no one was there as i definitely saw someone. What was intriguing was this happened as i was passing Salmesbury Hall, said to be one of the most haunted locations in Britain with among the spooks, you guessed it a woman in white.

Think whatever you wish but i definitely saw someone who then vanished in the moments it took to pass by.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 14th October 2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was driving towards Preston this lunch time when i noticed a figure dressed in white by the side of the road about a 100 yards away. As i got closer the figure seemed to melt into the trees and was nowhere to be seen as i passed the spot where he/she was stood.

It appeared odd that no one was there as i definitely saw someone. What was intriguing was this happened as i was passing Salmesbury Hall, said to be one of the most haunted locations in Britain with among the spooks, you guessed it a woman in white.

Think whatever you wish but i definitely saw someone who then vanished in the moments it took to pass by.

I'd blame the booze but you don't strike me as a drink driver Dem.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th October 2016, 05:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

Are you sure it wasn't those Highway Maintenance guys? They have a habit of standing around doing F**K All for ages then disappearing for a tea break.

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 15th October 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 15th October 2016, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy (1959) 8/10

Old 15th October 2016, 05:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Tonight's ABUKtober pleasure is...

Old 15th October 2016, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Frankenstein (1931). 9.2/10

Now watching the first power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-first-power-movie-poster-1990-1010235196.jpg (13.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th October 2016, 07:15 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Link (1982)

Fairly fun slasher with a psychological flavour as Michael Moriarty keeps seeing psychic visions of himself killing women in various states of undress. He later learns he has a conjoined twin whom he was separated from at birth and travels to Hamburg to confront him.

A double dose of Michael Moriarty is never a bad thing and with Alberto De Martino (Antichrist, Formula for a Murder, Shadows in an Empty Room) in the director's chair there is some Italian sleaze and giallo trappings injected below the surface too, which does aid the film to stand out from some of the other slashers from the same era somewhat.

63/100
Old 15th October 2016, 08:01 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

Ghost clown

MacBlayne likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!