LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2016, 03:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I recommend playing Silent Hill 2. It's a stand-alone game and is regarded very highly amongst fans, reviewers, and academics. Generally, whenever somebody brings up the "video-games aren't art" argument, Silent Hill 2 is often brought up as the exception.

It's very slow-burning - it takes 20-30 minutes for anything to actually happen but that's because it is creating a very thick sense of dread. Plus, whereas other games usually have you thinking "if it's that bad, why doesn't he leave?", the more you progress, the more you realise why James Sunderland is in Silent Hill.

Anyways, here's some teasers and a review to elaborate on my points. I'm going to stop harping on the series now.

Everything you said is what I loved about watching my brother play, and engaging in the puzzle solving aspect of the game. I would love to play the game myself, but am unable to due to a spinal injury.

Although the films do have the degree of atmosphere – the first especially – they can't contend with the sheer sense of dread and foreboding which is elicited in the games.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 22nd October 2016, 04:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pay the Ghost (2015)

From IMDB -
Quote:
One year after Mike Lawford's young son disappeared during a Halloween carnival, he is haunted by eerie images and terrifying messages he can't explain. Together with his estranged wife, he will stop at nothing to unravel the mystery and find their son-and, in doing so, he unearths a legend that refuses to remain buried in the past.
Nicolas Cage, as with Johnny Depp, is one of those actors who seem to divide cult fans down the middle. He's either loved or basically disliked. As for myself i think on the whole he's excellent, in fact two of his movies - Con Air and Leaving Las Vegas - i rate very highly indeed.

Cage's main problem is he can go over the top with his histrionics however he reels it all in for Pay the Ghost and is rather subdued. The film as a whole is rather subdued. It's a slow burner and the first half hour is all in the acting hands of Cage and co-star Sarah Wayne Callies whom i expect many of you know from The Walking Dead. Playing out as a mystery about missing children it then takes a left turn at the half way point as elements of the supernatural and the Celtic festival of Samhain begin to take precedence, which made the film a more interesting proposition.

Thankfully Pay the Ghost isn't the usual FX fest riddled with musical jump scares, the CGI is kept to a minimum and really only comes in towards the end but it brings a nightmare scenario to life rather than anything else.

I enjoyed Pay the Ghost, it held my attention throughout and the Halloween mythology ensured it will get many more viewings over forthcoming October horrorfests.

Old 22nd October 2016, 04:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

An odd one this, I'm going to compare ABUK Contamination dvd with Arrow's BD by watching ABUK first about 10pm, have a meal than whack on the BD late night and watch the peeps explode all over again, ABUKtober continues...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg con1.jpg (17.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg con2.jpg (62.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Pay the Ghost (2015)

From IMDB -

Nicolas Cage, as with Johnny Depp, is one of those actors who seem to divide cult fans down the middle. He's either loved or basically disliked. As for myself i think on the whole he's excellent, in fact two of his movies - Con Air and Leaving Las Vegas - i rate very highly indeed.

Cage's main problem is he can go over the top with his histrionics however he reels it all in for Pay the Ghost and is rather subdued. The film as a whole is rather subdued. It's a slow burner and the first half hour is all in the acting hands of Cage and co-star Sarah Wayne Callies whom i expect many of you know from The Walking Dead. Playing out as a mystery about missing children it then takes a left turn at the half way point as elements of the supernatural and the Celtic festival of Samhain begin to take precedence, which made the film a more interesting proposition.

Thankfully Pay the Ghost isn't the usual FX fest riddled with musical jump scares, the CGI is kept to a minimum and really only comes in towards the end but it brings a nightmare scenario to life rather than anything else.

I enjoyed Pay the Ghost, it held my attention throughout and the Halloween mythology ensured it will get many more viewings over forthcoming October horrorfests.

The novel Pay the Ghost is based on, and in fact the screenplay I believe we're written by Tim Lebbon, a novelist who lives just a few miles from me.
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As for The Ninth Gate, I decided to future proof my purchase and go for the Region A Blu-ray release (£7.28) rather than pay (about £6) less for the DVD.
If it's the one I have (Lionsgate release) then it should be region free.

I'll add to the praise by saying I also think it's a great film and one of Depp's best.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd October 2016, 06:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wonder if Nos has watched Oliver the Eighth yet?
Old 22nd October 2016, 07:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Wonder if Nos has watched Oliver the Eighth yet?
I knew there was something I meant to do this weekend!

I haven't… yet as I been watching films and working my way through the first season of House MD. I'll put a reminder somewhere on my phone, computer, or somewhere in my room on a post-it note so I watch it tomorrow.
Old 22nd October 2016, 07:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Thing from Another World (1951, USA)

The Thing from Another World (1951, USA)

thing_from_another_world_poster_03.jpg

For going all the paranoia stuff about who goes there and who you can and cannot trust,this Thing is just a pure monster mash punch up,humans vs alien,and leave the chin stroking and over analysis at the door.With some rather nice punchy banter between Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan at the start of the film,hinting at a previous liaison AND a blossoming romance the film begins like a comedy romance then nose dives straight into the action as the cast go heading off to find a crash landed spacecraft.The realization they have found a UFO when they spread out across the melted out lined shape of the ship is a key moment, just a shame they blow the spacecraft up while trying to melt the ice to recover it.But wait a minute what is this buried in a block of ice? Well while the Thing is defrosting in a store room some where,Tobey and Sheridan carry on with there romance,unfortunately some one covers the alien in its icy tomb with an electric blanket,no guessing what happens next.Now up and about the Thing is in no mood to make friends and starts off into the snowy blizzard wrestling the sleigh dogs apart and losing his arm in the process.Its while examining the severed arm that they discover that the visitor is part vegetable,but with a hunger for blood.This Thing is slightly more viscous than say some of the earlier alien invaders,while not having the advantage of using a ray gun,the Thing attacks with his giant claw like mitts.Its a startling looking beast,sort of a cross between Frankenstein s monster and Halloweens Micheal Myers boiler suited wearing killer.Its a fun and fast paced movie,with some snappy dialogue and some great moments of action as the alien faces off against his human foes. A child hood favorite of mine,and remember Keep Watching the Skies.

Old 22nd October 2016, 07:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I knew there was something I meant to do this weekend!

I haven't… yet as I been watching films and working my way through the first season of House MD. I'll put a reminder somewhere on my phone, computer, or somewhere in my room on a post-it note so I watch it tomorrow.
A few lines on what you've been watching would be nice.

I'm sure the rest of this threads readers would agree.
Old 22nd October 2016, 07:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
A few lines on what you've been watching would be nice.

I'm sure the rest of this threads readers would agree.
I'll post a list and some scores, pictures, and thoughts tomorrow.

Like this? Share it using the links below!